Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

from auto Z to manual Z conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 07:22 AM
drumma022

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its sad on the many posts that offer no support to this thread. Here are a few things that are to be considered on the swap:

Tranny
Shifter / Shift ****
Shifter Boot
Center Console Surround Bezel
Master Cylinder
Slave Cylinder
Clutch Lines
Clutch Pedal Assembly
Clutch Switch
Clutch
Flywheel
Brake Pedal
Drive Shaft I believe is a different length.

Additional wiring may need to take place for the reverse sensor and such.
I am not sure if you need a Manual ECU either. On the earlier cars it is not necessary, but the integration between the clutch pedal and the Cruise Control would need to be figured out if you want full functionality.

We come across many 240sx owners who do the swap at our shop, so you aren't the only one!
Old 03-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

If I were you id just get manual. If not, get AUTO and dont do a swap. just upgrade the valve bodys & trq converters. makes a difference
Old 03-11-2007, 11:10 AM
2006_350gt

Originally Posted by drumma022
Its sad on the many posts that offer no support to this thread. Here are a few things that are to be considered on the swap:

Tranny
Shifter / Shift ****
Shifter Boot
Center Console Surround Bezel
Master Cylinder
Slave Cylinder
Clutch Lines
Clutch Pedal Assembly
Clutch Switch
Clutch
Flywheel
Brake Pedal
Drive Shaft I believe is a different length.

Additional wiring may need to take place for the reverse sensor and such.
I am not sure if you need a Manual ECU either. On the earlier cars it is not necessary, but the integration between the clutch pedal and the Cruise Control would need to be figured out if you want full functionality.

We come across many 240sx owners who do the swap at our shop, so you aren't the only one!
Since you guys see this alot with other cars do you feel that the 10k that me and the other member posted on is outrageous or does that sound about right?
Old 03-11-2007, 01:50 PM
furiousZ

Yeah, I know how you feel. I wanted to swap my 2005 AT out because I bought it when I wasn't really into cars. I didn't think I'd become much of a gear-head when I purchased it two years ago, but the car turned me into an obssessed tuner.

Instead of swapping ... you should just consider a strong valve body upgrade or a high stall converter, and just make the best out of a very good transmission. If you look at it, they're not your oh-so-typical trannies. They dont fall heavily out of the powerband as many others do. Besides, with a valve body you'll be shifting just as crisp, just without a clutch pedal. Less traffic work.

When someone asks you why you went auto instead of manual ... tell them ...

"Funny ... mine came without a clutch but has the same amount of gears as you." I get the honda owners everytime.

Most auto trannies can hold the power, so just work on upgrading it and you'll be running faster than 85% manual owners-- JUST BECAUSE MOST CAN'T DRIVE! We have a lot of good drivers on the board, but it's all up to the capabilities. The 350Z's clutch and MT is a VERY UNFORGIVING transmission. If you make a mistake, you will feel it.

Auto z's can drift by the way ... just takes time to swing it around. :] very fun. check it out!

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...54015262a0.htm

Last edited by furiousZ; 03-11-2007 at 02:13 PM.