Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Throw-Out Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 02:49 PM
BiGGD198

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throw-Out Bearing

hey guys, quick question that im sure off but just making sure......if the throw out bearing was done, it would make a noise when the clutch is released, and when you engage the clutch the noise should go away right? or would it be vise-versa?
Old 03-10-2007, 03:02 PM
halfass872

Throw out bearing will make noise when the clutch is pushed in. What you are hearing is our noisy *** Nissan transmission! I thought the same thing when i got mine. Here's what that noise is.....when you are in neutral and the clutch is out, that means the clutch is engaged thus spinning the input shaft inside the transmission at the speed of the engine's idle. So the noise you are hearing is the shaft spinning inside the transmission. When you push in the clutch, the sound goes away cause you seperate the clutch disks and the shaft stops spinning. The only time you are using the throwout bearing is when you push in the pedal. The bearing is what the clutch rides on when it slides down the input shaft to the tranny. That's why it's bad to hold your clutch down at stop lights. Your foot should only be on the clutch pedal when shifting. Any other time it should be on the dead pedal to the left. Do a search in the drivetrain section for "cement mixer noise" you'll see everyone has the same noise at idle.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:48 PM
BiGGD198

thanks a lot man........greatly appreciated.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:50 PM
halfass872

No prob!
Old 03-11-2007, 03:18 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. Every stick shift vehicle I have owned, never do I put the car in nuetral at lights and take my foot off the clutch. Maybe once in a blue moon. Always in first, clutch in. Guess I have been driving wrong for the last 20 years.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:33 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Chad68
Interesting. Every stick shift vehicle I have owned, never do I put the car in nuetral at lights and take my foot off the clutch. Maybe once in a blue moon. Always in first, clutch in. Guess I have been driving wrong for the last 20 years.
I said the same thing!!!! That being said i guess the throwout bearing is pretty tough. Only recently did i finally understand how that all works. lol
Old 03-31-2007, 09:53 AM
350Speed

Originally Posted by halfass872
Throw out bearing will make noise when the clutch is pushed in. What you are hearing is our noisy *** Nissan transmission! I thought the same thing when i got mine. Here's what that noise is.....when you are in neutral and the clutch is out, that means the clutch is engaged thus spinning the input shaft inside the transmission at the speed of the engine's idle. So the noise you are hearing is the shaft spinning inside the transmission. When you push in the clutch, the sound goes away cause you seperate the clutch disks and the shaft stops spinning. The only time you are using the throwout bearing is when you push in the pedal. The bearing is what the clutch rides on when it slides down the input shaft to the tranny. That's why it's bad to hold your clutch down at stop lights. Your foot should only be on the clutch pedal when shifting. Any other time it should be on the dead pedal to the left. Do a search in the drivetrain section for "cement mixer noise" you'll see everyone has the same noise at idle.
Halfass872,
I just purchased 07 Touring and having the same problem as you described above. Is it normal? I thought about taking it to the dealer.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:06 AM
skaterbasist

Same here.

Everytime I push in the clutch during high RPM's, I hear the throw-out bearing making a "grrrrrrrrrr" sound.

Im guessing its normal on our loud tranny's?

Old 03-31-2007, 01:08 PM
350Speed

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Same here.

Everytime I push in the clutch during high RPM's, I hear the throw-out bearing making a "grrrrrrrrrr" sound.

Im guessing its normal on our loud tranny's?

I don't have the same problem as you do. However, I do hear a noise when I am in Neutral and the clutch is out. When I push in the clutch by itself (the gear still in Neutral), the noise goes away. When I let go the clutch, I can hear a click and the same noise again.

Do you have this problem? Is it normal?

I"m new to this car, so sorry for the asking so many questions.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:16 PM
BiGGD198

Originally Posted by 350Speed
I don't have the same problem as you do. However, I do hear a noise when I am in Neutral and the clutch is out. When I push in the clutch by itself (the gear still in Neutral), the noise goes away. When I let go the clutch, I can hear a click and the same noise again.

Do you have this problem? Is it normal?

I"m new to this car, so sorry for the asking so many questions.

Thanks.
thats my problem.....lol....wtf is that?
Old 03-31-2007, 01:24 PM
Flee0588

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

ahhhh...one of the first "issues" posted on this forum and here it is again.

P.S. Everyone always blames the throw-out bearing!!!
Old 03-31-2007, 01:45 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Flee0588
ahhhh...one of the first "issues" posted on this forum and here it is again.

P.S. Everyone always blames the throw-out bearing!!!

+1
The grinding when clutch out is normal. Grinding when clutch pushed in is bad. The "rumbly" feeling when pushing in and out the clutch while changing gears is just feed back from the input shaft through the clutch. Annoying sometimes but normal.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:09 PM
tbury03z

ok i have the same problem right now as well just started tonight i let go of the clutch and it makes a gross ticking sound and when i push it in it goes away wtf should i bring it to the dealership
Old 04-23-2007, 08:56 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbury03z
ok i have the same problem right now as well just started tonight i let go of the clutch and it makes a gross ticking sound and when i push it in it goes away wtf should i bring it to the dealership
Did you not read the thread? It's normal.

Clutch released in neutral = synchromesh tranny must turn, despite being in neutral, thus you will hear the extra noise of the transmission turning. Push the clutch in and you disconnect the engine from the tranny and you will hear the tranny gradually slow to a halt.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:23 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by roast
Did you not read the thread? It's normal.

Clutch released in neutral = synchromesh tranny must turn, despite being in neutral, thus you will hear the extra noise of the transmission turning. Push the clutch in and you disconnect the engine from the tranny and you will hear the tranny gradually slow to a halt.
Yeppers!! It's maiking that noise when you are driving too, plus some more! But you have the engine noise and road noise covering it up. These suckers are noisey as hell!!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:24 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by tbury03z

Just get a Kinetix V+ plenum, then the extra valvetrain noise at idle will mask out your tranny noise!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:12 AM
taurran

I've got an exceptionally loud gearbox in mine. When I'm in lower gears its sounds almost like I've got a blower undre the hood.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:38 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by taurran
I've got an exceptionally loud gearbox in mine. When I'm in lower gears its sounds almost like I've got a blower undre the hood.
Just as a heads up, that's what both mine sounded like before they died on me.