Originally Posted by ZCARBANDIT
+1, the OEM one is not resurfaceable.
Go to school and learn something

You have no clue what you're talking about
Old 06-30-2019, 09:22 AM
S0ULJAH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCat
Can anyone tell me why the stock flywheel is not resurfaceable?
You CAN resurface it. Just add shims to equal the same amount you shaved off.

There is a limit. if you take off an inch for example; you run the risk of your starter not engaging thoroughly. Worst case you change starter.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:14 AM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

another reason you cannot resurface. If you go below nominal tolerances you also make the flywheel more prone to warping and cracking. Lets not grenade a flywheel.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:24 AM
Desert Z

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyschopshop
another reason you cannot resurface. If you go below nominal tolerances you also make the flywheel more prone to warping and cracking. Lets not grenade a flywheel.
Then you should restate to "should not" because you clearly CAN and it has been done successfully (although with risks as you mention)
Old 07-01-2019, 09:42 AM
S0ULJAH

Originally Posted by rustyschopshop
Warping will never happen!
Show me one!
That warping as you call it; is called lateral runoff. Basically, it means that if the flywheel is worn out unevenly on ONE side of the flywheel by lets say 0.003" then you have other problems and should diagnose further in your clutch system. Warping would indicate that the entire flywheel is warped and I have never seen that EVER. Do you know how hot that would have to be to cause it to warp? We would be talking about FORGING temperatures. IF that happened; BIG IF; then your problem is much more extensive than clutches. You would be looking at other mechanical failures.
OLD SCHOOL very old guys out there use "its warped" as slang terminology but really they just need to phase out.

Last edited by S0ULJAH; 07-01-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:44 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by S0ULJAH
Warping will never happen!
Show me one!
That warping as you call it; is called lateral runoff. Basically, it means that if the flywheel is worn out unevenly on ONE side of the flywheel by lets say 0.003" then you have other problems and should diagnose further in your clutch system. Warping would indicate that the entire flywheel is warped and I have never seen that EVER. Do you know how hot that would have to be to cause it to warp? We would be talking about FORGING temperatures. IF that happened; BIG IF; then your problem is much more extensive than clutches. You would be looking at other mechanical failures.
OLD SCHOOL very old guys out there use "its warped" as slang terminology but really they just need to phase out.

OK, I'm only going to say it once. Keep your all-knowing attitude in check when you respond to 12 year old threads.
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
coletrickle74 (07-01-2019), timeltel (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 04:51 PM
S0ULJAH

Originally Posted by MicVelo
OK, I'm only going to say it once. Keep your all-knowing attitude in check when you respond to 12 year old threads.
Who the fak is directly speaking to you?
Do you have anything to add to the thread relating to the 350z?
Go cry somewhere else...
Old 07-02-2019, 06:30 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Who the fak is directly speaking to you?
Do you have anything to add to the thread relating to the 350z?
Go cry somewhere else...
When you speak out in a tone that belittles people - without even knowing who or what they're about - you're speaking to me. Especially since you're responding to people who either a) Have been long time contributors of solid info or b) going off on members who haven't been on the forum for 8 and 10 years, respectively.

Then, when you sass people who tell you you've posted more than you need to in the wrong place, you get all defensive and go on a tirade befitting someone acting their shoe size in maturity rather than your age.

I have little doubt that you have some experience in the areas you're chiming in on the board. That's not the issue. But building a good reputation isn't done by coming off like an asshat because "you know better" and screaming about the "builds that come out of your shop" with nothing more than words.

So, I'm going to say it one more time: Check your ego at the door before you come in here.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:52 AM
timeltel

Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts

SOULJAH: Interesting posts.

The friction surface of a stock dual mass flywheel is isolated from the primary mass by dampening springs and incorporates a friction ring (bushing) to control eccentric oscillation between the two rotating masses. Both springs and bushing are subject to weakening or wear. Outside of budget constraints (or of parts NLA), resurfacing a DMF makes about as much sense as running retreaded tires.

On another level of analysis, the correct term is runOUT. RunOff is a matter of concern when discussing erosion. RunOUT may be either vertical or lateral. The same considerations exist in evaluating problems with brake rotors. Shimming rotors is a common resolution for pulsation. To suggest shimming a flywheel is a patchwork solution best resolved by correct machining and raises concerns of accurately torquing fasteners as well as the real ;probability of warping mounting surfaces. Yes, I wrote "warping".

Before this "OLD GUY" phases out, I'd suggest that before one presents himself as an informed contributor, first use correct terminology, and secondly, to not recommend solutions for braking concerns as correct applications for drivetrain components.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:54 AM
S0ULJAH

When you speak out in a tone that belittles people - without even knowing who or what they're about - you're speaking to me. Especially since you're responding to people who either a) Have been long time contributors of solid info or b) going off on members who haven't been on the forum for 8 and 10 years, respectively.

Then, when you sass people who tell you you've posted more than you need to in the wrong place, you get all defensive and go on a tirade befitting someone acting their shoe size in maturity rather than your age.

I have little doubt that you have some experience in the areas you're chiming in on the board. That's not the issue. But building a good reputation isn't done by coming off like an asshat because "you know better" and screaming about the "builds that come out of your shop" with nothing more than words.

So, I'm going to say it one more time: Check your ego at the door before you come in here.
First of all, nobody here is screaming. Check your emotions at the door. Because I can care less of what your opinion is of me. All I know is that whomever reads what I’m saying is true and it’s industry standards today.
I’m a professional in the industry, and I wish only professionals were allowed to post at times. Because then this forum gets sensitive little wimps who have nothing to add but their emotions. With no technical training or experience.
My certifications speak for themselves and my pay reflects that. My work reflects that.
I’m sure if you want to blog about your emotions and how my metaphorical dick may have stunned you; you can blog about it in your instagram. Or better yet go get therapy because if you commit suicide it would impact me even less. My advice is stop being a crybaby for fictitious people who you seem to hypothetically know they care.

if the information is useful cool; if not? Add on to it with some factual information. If neither applies to you then just go cry to your mom on the phone about how someone else made you feel online. Go back to your online games and vent there.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:15 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

First of all, nobody here is screaming. Check your emotions at the door. Because I can care less of what your opinion is of me. All I know is that whomever reads what I’m saying is true and it’s industry standards today.
I’m a professional in the industry, and I wish only professionals were allowed to post at times. Because then this forum gets sensitive little wimps who have nothing to add but their emotions. With no technical training or experience.
My certifications speak for themselves and my pay reflects that. My work reflects that.
I’m sure if you want to blog about your emotions and how my metaphorical dick may have stunned you; you can blog about it in your instagram. Or better yet go get therapy because if you commit suicide it would impact me even less. My advice is stop being a crybaby for fictitious people who you seem to hypothetically know they care.

if the information is useful cool; if not? Add on to it with some factual information. If neither applies to you then just go cry to your mom on the phone about how someone else made you feel online. Go back to your online games and vent there.
You'll note I never challenged your knowledge, just the demeaning words you use to get that "knowledge" across to people.

"Go to school and learn something You have no clue what you're talking about"
(So said to a member that hasn't been on this thread NOR forum in at least 8 years.)

"OLD SCHOOL very old guys out there use "its warped" as slang terminology but really they just need to phase out."
(Said to one of the more respected contributors to this board.)

"take it up with tech support"
(Said to one of the more respected contributors who merely pointed out a mistake.)

Study yourself. If you can't see the tone of your commentary, well, then, maybe you ought to take it all somewhere else. Again, I'll say this: I have little doubt that you "know your ****" and are probably very successful in your business. But if you're reading my remarks as emotional, think that I blog on Instagram, need therapy, or need to cry to my dead mother, or believe that I've contributed nothing to the forum, well, then, there is your mistake. You know nothing about me, my professional past nor experience in the industry nor my status in my primary industry, and think I'm "emotional" without first checking me out, well, your pre-assessments of people are, OK, what *I* consider a flaw. But... who am I to judge? I'm just here to keep the place clean and civil.

So g'wan, keep it up. Like I'm supposed to care about how smart and innovative you think you are? Too far from the truth. I laugh at the "strong" words you used to infer me because I'm comfortable enough with who I am that I don't need to TELL people how good I THINK I am.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:26 PM
S0ULJAH

You'll note I never challenged your knowledge, just the demeaning words you use to get that "knowledge" across to people.

"Go to school and learn something You have no clue what you're talking about"
(So said to a member that hasn't been on this thread NOR forum in at least 8 years.)

"OLD SCHOOL very old guys out there use "its warped" as slang terminology but really they just need to phase out."
(Said to one of the more respected contributors to this board.)

"take it up with tech support"
(Said to one of the more respected contributors who merely pointed out a mistake.)

Study yourself. If you can't see the tone of your commentary, well, then, maybe you ought to take it all somewhere else. Again, I'll say this: I have little doubt that you "know your ****" and are probably very successful in your business. But if you're reading my remarks as emotional, think that I blog on Instagram, need therapy, or need to cry to my dead mother, or believe that I've contributed nothing to the forum, well, then, there is your mistake. You know nothing about me, my professional past nor experience in the industry nor my status in my primary industry, and think I'm "emotional" without first checking me out, well, your pre-assessments of people are, OK, what *I* consider a flaw. But... who am I to judge? I'm just here to keep the place clean and civil.

So g'wan, keep it up. Like I'm supposed to care about how smart and innovative you think you are? Too far from the truth. I laugh at the "strong" words you used to infer me because I'm comfortable enough with who I am that I don't need to TELL people how good I THINK I am.
Are you the forum overseeing what others post as some form of authority?
Yes? I think it’s time you do something about it. No? Go cry about my tone that you see as a problem to someone who cares. At this point you’re just trolling my “tone”. Are you the “tone” police? Who the fak are you to take my “tone” out of context? In order to frame your sensitive emotions so that you can say, “I’m a victim”.
If that’s your argument; just stfu because you sound like an idiot. Go embrace the person in your life who Mother’s you til this day. Cry it out, let it all out and stfu you wimp with nothing to show.
Nothing beneficial to anyone in the forum is coming out of this besides entertainment for you at this point.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:37 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

OK, whatever.

I’m a tormented, Oedipal dependent troll. Feel better?

Hahahahaha.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:44 PM
S0ULJAH

Originally Posted by timeltel
SOULJAH: Interesting posts.

The friction surface of a stock dual mass flywheel is isolated from the primary mass by dampening springs and incorporates a friction ring (bushing) to control eccentric oscillation between the two rotating masses. Both springs and bushing are subject to weakening or wear. Outside of budget constraints (or of parts NLA), resurfacing a DMF makes about as much sense as running retreaded tires.

On another level of analysis, the correct term is runOUT. RunOff is a matter of concern when discussing erosion. RunOUT may be either vertical or lateral. The same considerations exist in evaluating problems with brake rotors. Shimming rotors is a common resolution for pulsation. To suggest shimming a flywheel is a patchwork solution best resolved by correct machining and raises concerns of accurately torquing fasteners as well as the real ;probability of warping mounting surfaces. Yes, I wrote "warping".

Before this "OLD GUY" phases out, I'd suggest that before one presents himself as an informed contributor, first use correct terminology, and secondly, to not recommend solutions for braking concerns as correct applications for drivetrain components.
Lol runout relates to using a dial indicator for example on a rotor. You’re able to measure the unit on the vehicle.
Runoff refers to using a machinist straight edge to determine how uneven the surface with a feeler gauge really is; off the vehicle and flat on a table. Feeler gauge runs off the machinist straight edge from lateral vertical and diagonal placements.
You thought you had me there huh?! Just so you know I’m about to finish my bachelors degree in mechanical engineering. This is an engineering and machinist slang term. You are correct that the fundamental principle of the term runout also applies in order to describe a symptom and is the standard name in the automotive industry.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:51 PM
S0ULJAH

OK, whatever.

I’m a tormented, Oedipal dependent troll. Feel better?

Hahahahaha.
The most honest thing you’ve said about yourself. Lol
Duumbass
Old 07-03-2019, 05:57 PM
timeltel

Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts

SOULJAH:

You wrote: "Runoff refers to using a machinist straight edge to determine how uneven the surface with a feeler gauge really is; off the vehicle and flat on a table. Feeler gauge runs off the machinist straight edge from lateral vertical and diagonal placements."

The measurement technique you describe is significant only when using parallel blocks, .​​​​​​Not inclined to argue with an apprentice but wouldn't a dial indicator be preferable to a feeler gauge?

A FYI, working as a millwright I've set 120 TON two section steam driven turbine shafts needing to be so accurately set that when up to speed a single drop of water impacting the fins would destroy the shaft. Pull out your feeler gauge & never work another day for AEP.

You also wrote: "You thought you had me there huh?! Just so you know I’m about to finish my bachelors degree in mechanical engineering. This is an engineering and machinist slang term."

Slang? Castigate someone else for using "slang" but then invoke the 'ol double standard & justify your own use of a term unsupported in Webster's, Wikipedia or any professionals' handbook.

No, don't feel the need to "have" you there. You had yourself. If that puts a dent in your ego, don't worry it'll buff out.

Those "OLD GUYS" have a saying: remain silent and be thought a fool or open your mouth & remove all doubt".

If you'll take a moment from being so full of yourself & look under MicVelo's sig. you'll observe the title "Moderator". If you want to stick around for further annoyance of the more mature forumites I suggest you turn the hostility and name calling down a notch or two.

Aloha

The following users liked this post:
rustyschopshop (07-03-2019)