Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Resurface stock flywheel? questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 07:17 PM
a-ron max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resurface stock flywheel? questions

I'm looking to replace my stock clutch with an ACT street clutch. The stock isn't slipping and has no problems. I checked with technosquare in LA to do an install and was told that if you have more than 10k miles on your car, resurfacing the stock flywheel will significantly reduce the life of your new clutch. I'm looking to get about 20k miles or 2 years out of this new setup before going back to stock and trading the car in.

Has anyone had any experience with resurfacing the stock flywheel and using an aftermarket clutch? After the reviews I've read, I really have little interest in using a light weight flywheel since they all appear to sound like crap.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:07 PM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the stock flywheel can't be resurfaced(someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Besides, stock flywheel is heavy as hell. If you're going for aftermarket
clutch, it's a no brainer you also get aftermarket flywheel.
Lighter flywheel will make your car rev up and drop rev SIGNIFICANTLY quicker than your stock.
I drove a stock Z the other day and I was so frustrated because it wouldn't
rev up and down quick enough.
Plus, the clutch chatter isn't as bad as some people say.
My current setup emmits very little chatter. Just stay above 2500RPM and you should be fine.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:16 PM
a-ron max

Thanks, but like i said...I want to keep the stock flywheel...anyone here actually had their stock resurfaced or reused?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:32 PM
VIZAGE

That's correct, you can't resurface the stock flywheel and I wouldn't recommend one bit that you reuse either. It's just one of those package deals.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:06 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one with 6000 miles on it if you want a used one.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:25 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

Originally Posted by VIZAGE
That's correct, you can't resurface the stock flywheel and I wouldn't recommend one bit that you reuse either. It's just one of those package deals.
+1, the OEM one is not resurfaceable.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:31 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Can anyone tell me why the stock flywheel is not resurfaceable?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:39 AM
g356gear

Originally Posted by jcn30127
Can anyone tell me why the stock flywheel is not resurfaceable?
I believe the flywheel is a dual mass unit that can't be resurfaced. Re-surfacing would put the unit out of balance. Replace with JWT flywheel IMO. JWT has replaceable contact sections instead of re-surfacing.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:39 AM
ke0ki2k

thats dumb. if you have some outside company resurface your stock flywheel it's gonna look just as bad as "aftermarket flywheel included" when you go to sell. If you burnt out your flywheel then you're gonna lose trade in value no matter if you resurface it or not, they'll know you either dragged the car or slipped the clutch out too much.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:59 AM
KRRZ350

Default Yeah, I know the threads a bit old

Originally Posted by a-ron max
...anyone here actually had their stock resurfaced or reused?
I had one resurfaced by a local machinist who is top notch, only guy in the area I will bring anything to anymore. Not sure his process for the DM flywheels but it involves some sort of custom jig he made for them, and they aren't done on a lathe either.

He charges more than a standard flywheel, and he gives absolutely no guarantee, warranty, etc- which I fully understood since he is doing something 99% of machine shops will not touch, but for $90 (Plus any shipping) it's a good deal if you're on a budget or want a heavy flywheel for spool link if anyone needs one done)

Anyways I couldn't be happier about it all, it's on a boosted car with a cheaper 6-puck and the chatter is minimal for a set-up like that, no doubt with a stock clutch it would be perfectly smooth.

Name:  IMG_0734.jpg
Views: 2184
Size:  176.9 KB
Old 02-23-2011, 12:28 PM
DaveSB

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We've resurfaced hundreds of dual mass flywheels for everything from a Porshce 911 to a VW Jetta. Not every machine shop can do that because it requires special grinding equipment, jigs and tooling. It is possable and is recommended to have a fresh surface for a new clutch. Not having it done can make the clutch chatter or give engagement issues.

KRRZ350, that flywheel looks perfect, they did a nice job.

Last edited by DaveSB; 02-23-2011 at 12:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nizmo_0385 (05-28-2020)
Old 03-04-2011, 03:23 PM
KRRZ350

Originally Posted by Dave@sbclutch
It is possable and is recommended to have a fresh surface for a new clutch. Not having it done can make the clutch chatter or give engagement issues.
Couldn't agree more, and same deal with brakes also
Old 03-04-2011, 09:27 PM
venmichaels

dont get the pos JWT flywheel.. i have it, and its loud
Old 09-05-2015, 07:09 AM
poetic350z

Default flywheel need asap 2006 350z manual

need a flywheel 2005 350z manual....contact me 901 318 9073
Old 09-24-2015, 06:45 AM
HK350 Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

South Bend makes a lighter quiet one, I have the normal 19lbs SB FW and its noise is about the same as stock...
Old 06-28-2019, 07:06 PM
Kevin Coronado

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
I had one resurfaced by a local machinist who is top notch, only guy in the area I will bring anything to anymore. Not sure his process for the DM flywheels but it involves some sort of custom jig he made for them, and they aren't done on a lathe either.

He charges more than a standard flywheel, and he gives absolutely no guarantee, warranty, etc- which I fully understood since he is doing something 99% of machine shops will not touch, but for $90 (Plus any shipping) it's a good deal if you're on a budget or want a heavy flywheel for spool link if anyone needs one done)

Anyways I couldn't be happier about it all, it's on a boosted car with a cheaper 6-puck and the chatter is minimal for a set-up like that, no doubt with a stock clutch it would be perfectly smooth.

Attachment 414293
Hey I just got my new clutch but now I need a new flywheel because they told me they can’t resurface mine if you could help me out with the guy you got yours resurfaced that be great.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:13 AM
jellofuel

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Coronado
Hey I just got my new clutch but now I need a new flywheel because they told me they can’t resurface mine if you could help me out with the guy you got yours resurfaced that be great.
You'd need to ask around - I think your best shot is a local Facebook auto group. I would just throw in a single mass flywheel, since the stock flywheel will fail eventually anyways. The springs holding it together will break, and you'll rip everything apart again. If you're afraid of chatter, get a "mid-weight" flywheel. Z1 has one that weighs 21 pounds, so chatter is minimal. I run an Exedy flywheel, and I only notice chatter sometimes. It weighs 19 pounds... hope that helps!
Old 06-30-2019, 09:16 AM
S0ULJAH

I'm looking to replace my stock clutch with an ACT street clutch. The stock isn't slipping and has no problems. I checked with technosquare in LA to do an install and was told that if you have more than 10k miles on your car, resurfacing the stock flywheel will significantly reduce the life of your new clutch. I'm looking to get about 20k miles or 2 years out of this new setup before going back to stock and trading the car in.

Has anyone had any experience with resurfacing the stock flywheel and using an aftermarket clutch? After the reviews I've read, I really have little interest in using a light weight flywheel since they all appear to sound like crap.
First problem: That technician is full of shiiiit up to their knees.
-you CAN resurface the flywheel. The wear factor that wannabe is talking about is his lack of knowledge. IF you do resurface the flywheel for 0.003" hypothetically; then you would simply add SHIM that'ts 0.003". The risk (trade-off) is the starter has less room to engage if you were to let's say take off an inch (hypothetically).

Second problem:
-I added an ACT clutch system for track purposes. Basically, if you do any aftermarket ANYTHING that makes contact to your crankshaft; you must balance that ACT clutch system with your crankshaft for maximum performance. Otherwise, stick with stock everything.
-I added an aluminum crank pulley and clutch unit that was for racing. Therefore, I changed that valve guide seals (to fix the consumption myth that's "normal" to all those wannabees) and the block was taken apart to balance that ACT clutch system (flywheel, friction material, pressure plate+ Racing crank pulley with crankshaft) and aluminum pulley. That's the proper way to upgrade that. Take the short cuts that cost you less time& money and you'll only be kidding yourself or you're getting ripped off.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:18 AM
S0ULJAH

Thanks, but like i said...I want to keep the stock flywheel...anyone here actually had their stock resurfaced or reused?
Yes you can resurface that flywheel but make sure it's within limits (manufacturers specifications) by using a micrometer.

NEXT, make sure you buy the shims to add up that surface area that you just shaved off.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:19 AM
S0ULJAH

Originally Posted by gsazabi
I believe the stock flywheel can't be resurfaced(someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Besides, stock flywheel is heavy as hell. If you're going for aftermarket
clutch, it's a no brainer you also get aftermarket flywheel.
Lighter flywheel will make your car rev up and drop rev SIGNIFICANTLY quicker than your stock.
I drove a stock Z the other day and I was so frustrated because it wouldn't
rev up and down quick enough.
Plus, the clutch chatter isn't as bad as some people say.
My current setup emmits very little chatter. Just stay above 2500RPM and you should be fine.
Yes you can. Read my earlier post.

This is not an EVO forum

Quick Reply: Resurface stock flywheel? questions