Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Car dies on startup!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:37 PM
camthman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dies on startup!

Hey guys just bought a 03 Z today and I pulled the KandN filter today and cleaned it.... oiled it up then put it back in. I then noticed that every time I would start it, it would start then the RPM's would drop and it would die. I cleaned the MAF and made sure everything was tight. If I give it alittle gas on startup, and hold the pedal down abit, then it will idle fine. Its only on startup this happens. I have searched and done the things they said and its hasn't worked sooo far. Any help guys?? -- Cameron

- Also im replacing plugs, changing oil, and doing other good stuff tomarrow. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:47 AM
camthman

oh and i have also checked the 100 questions post and really didnt find what I was looking for...
Old 03-24-2007, 02:33 PM
camthman

no one knows??
Old 04-26-2007, 05:09 AM
live2themaxuk

Did ya find a fix?

Jamie
Old 04-26-2007, 05:17 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Clean ur MAF sensor
Old 04-26-2007, 05:59 AM
drap660

deff MAF sensor
Old 04-26-2007, 09:25 AM
live2themaxuk

Well, ive cleaned my MAF and its still doing it. It all started for me, after a battery disconnection.. . . im assuming this dude did the same.. . .
Old 04-27-2007, 04:55 PM
mgtibbetts

your maf sensor is probably dead.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:07 AM
live2themaxuk

FIXED: - CLEAN YOUR THROTTLE BODY

I took the intake pipe off the throttle body 'metal box that the large black intake pipe joins', disconnected the battery, sprayed carb cleaner into the throttle body, gently moved the buttefly valve up to give it all a real good clean and get all the black carbon deposits off, especially along the edge of the butterfly valve plate and all inside the chamber. Put it all back together, connected battery. Went for a drive, warmed her up. Starts EVERYTIME without fail as it should, and idle, without AC on isnt lumpy anymore, smooth as anything!! My idle speed isnt nessacarily 'higher' it just seems to be managing those low RPMS better. Im assuming the carbon deposits messed with the tolerances of the butterfly valve and intake flow

Can a moderator sticky this as i think this is a common problem that doesnt seem to have been addressed properly before, and the fact that it starts after a battery disconnection seems to lead people up the wrong path. Im sure the fact that it starts doing it IS ecu related, but my guess is that the carbon deposits build up over time, as does the ECU's compensation for the build up, then, when its disconnected, if forgets the compensation and thus the idle is AWFUL and it stalls on a warm start. . . . thats just my perception as to why it starts after a battery disconnection.

Jamie
Old 04-28-2007, 04:26 AM
coreapoc

Originally Posted by live2themaxuk
FIXED: - CLEAN YOUR THROTTLE BODY

I took the intake pipe off the throttle body 'metal box that the large black intake pipe joins', disconnected the battery, sprayed carb cleaner into the throttle body, gently moved the buttefly valve up to give it all a real good clean and get all the black carbon deposits off, especially along the edge of the butterfly valve plate and all inside the chamber. Put it all back together, connected battery. Went for a drive, warmed her up. Starts EVERYTIME without fail as it should, and idle, without AC on isnt lumpy anymore, smooth as anything!! My idle speed isnt nessacarily 'higher' it just seems to be managing those low RPMS better. Im assuming the carbon deposits messed with the tolerances of the butterfly valve and intake flow

Can a moderator sticky this as i think this is a common problem that doesnt seem to have been addressed properly before, and the fact that it starts after a battery disconnection seems to lead people up the wrong path. Im sure the fact that it starts doing it IS ecu related, but my guess is that the carbon deposits build up over time, as does the ECU's compensation for the build up, then, when its disconnected, if forgets the compensation and thus the idle is AWFUL and it stalls on a warm start. . . . thats just my perception as to why it starts after a battery disconnection.

Jamie

Deposits of whatever, unfortunately, if in the wrong spot will totally bog down an engine. If airflow is affected at all youll have problems.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by coreapoc
Deposits of whatever, unfortunately, if in the wrong spot will totally bog down an engine. If airflow is affected at all youll have problems.
If your butterfly is hung up from closing completely, you will in essence have a vacuum leak. Thats a good call, but if I recall, due to the elec. throttle control, you have to use caution in manually opening the throttle plate and it is best to remove the TB and spray from the base to the inlet.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Cube

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
If your butterfly is hung up from closing completely, you will in essence have a vacuum leak. Thats a good call, but if I recall, due to the elec. throttle control, you have to use caution in manually opening the throttle plate and it is best to remove the TB and spray from the base to the inlet.
Yep, you're right. Not supposed to touch the valve since it's an electronic (hence drive-by-wire) TB. Has your idle raised at all since doing this? You may have thrown the position off from it's original resting (idle) spot.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:31 AM
live2themaxuk

no its absolutely fine. Honestly i have had no problems, and quite a few ppl have done this. I dont know why it would be a problem as long as the battery is disconnected. There are a number of procedure that you can do to re-calibrate the throttle positioning anyway.