Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Spark Plug... abt 10hp increase

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 09:27 PM
M.O.D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug... abt 10hp increase

I just found out a way to increase abt 10hp, improve mile per gallon and smoother transition esp from 1st gear to 2nd by changing the spark plug, cost only $180 labor included... anyone know abt this stuff? its proven by dyno readin... My frends with M3s Acura civics changed it, they r all satisfied, they ve nv tried it on Z thou... so i wanna noe more abt it b4 installing, anyone know anything abt it?For those living in SF, pm me for the address... sumwhere in San bruno...
Old 04-14-2003, 09:46 PM
Rob Nance

Yikes man, I can't hardly make out what you are saying in your post. I don't even know if that was a statement, a question, or what... No plugs are going to add 10hp to a brand new car.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:48 PM
jesseenglish

Really, that's amazing. I'll throw out $180 for a set of plugs!

Seriously dude, are you just trying to stir up a flame war. The only way this would be possible is if you had really sh!tty fouled plugs in your car and replaced them with new ones or if the plugs you have in your car are not correct. Oh, and another thing, it'd be much easier to take you seriously it didn't take 10 minutes to translate what you're trying to say because of all the acronyms/shortcuts. It only takes an extra minute or so to sound credible.

Sorry for the vent, but this is one of my pet peeves.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:42 PM
M.O.D

hehehe.. sorry guys, am use to typing that way... okay2, my technician, whom i know for quite some time now, and a few of my friends mention this spark plugs that will give about 10hp increase, improve miles per gallon and better transition especially from 1st gear to 2nd... Cars that my friends have and have installed this spark plugs include M3, Civic, Acura... and all said that there is some improvement...Just that i find it too good to be true... $180 for 6 cylinders...but if it is true, then i think it's worth the money since since gonna improve miles per gallon, which means we will save money on gasoline... they did dyno test it and it do show the results... but they have not tried this on a Z before... so i just wanna know what you guys think before installing this stuff...
Old 04-14-2003, 10:48 PM
Da Gimp

I think you should dyno, get the plugs, dyno again and post them for us!

Old 04-14-2003, 10:56 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Originally posted by Da Gimp
I think you should dyno, get the plugs, dyno again and post them for us!

Amen
Old 04-14-2003, 11:03 PM
Rob Nance

yep. What are they? I can totally believe plugs helping an older car, especially if the plugs in the old car are total crap, and very fouled. In a new car I find it hard to believe.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:22 PM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hehe, anyhow I think hes talking about Iridium spark plugs.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/racingla...rsparplu1.html
Grassroots Motorsports just dynoed these on a spec miata race car and got 2hp...not ten. Still, 2hp is 2 hp, when even $1K cat back exhausts are hard pressed to make ANY power, 2hp for a set of plugs sounds pretty nice but keep in mind that ignition system upgrades do not make power, they dont add fuel or air. If you make more power by changing a part in your ignition system it simply means that the component you replaced was not as efficent at igniting the mixture as it should have been. In the case of the miata, they did not specify how old the plugs that were replced were, so the power increase could have been purely incidental. Also, the miata uses a single coil ignition whereas the Z uses a more powerful and efficeint individual coil pack system.
Attached Thumbnails Spark Plug... abt 10hp increase-mosesenglish-1-.jpg  
Old 04-15-2003, 05:02 AM
FLY BY Z

There are dyno readings with larger than a 2 HP difference on back to back runs on the same car on the same day on the same dyno. This is a waste of money. You cannot signify a 2 HP difference on a dyno and be sure it was the change you made. You can see that difference in the way the throttle is applied during the test.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:47 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No way

First of all there is no way a set of plugs will add 10 hp to a Z.

As for the 2hp claim, this is the same old crap that put splitfire on the map.(known in most serious circles as sh*tfires)

Some schmoe replaces old/dirty plugs with brand new trick plugs and sees a small increase (maybe, or else he sees an experimental error of 2hp in his favor). The fact is that even replacing the old plugs with IDENTICAL new plugs will often show the same gain. In some cases (splitfire) the fancy plugs are more prone to getting dirty and actually age worse.

This trick works with plugs that are normal, platinum, unobtanium, split electrode, zircon encrusted, whatever.

This trick also works with old plug wires, old injectors, etc. All it proves in most cases is that new parts work better than old parts.

Just my $0.02
Old 04-15-2003, 05:48 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: No way

By the way, if your technician is sure they are good for 10hp I recommend that you lower your trust in this technician accordingly.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:36 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: No way

Originally posted by AndyB
By the way, if your technician is sure they are good for 10hp I recommend that you lower your trust in this technician accordingly.
yeah...

if I might ask, what years were the cars your friends had?

Ive heard of ignition systems increasing power, but typicly its done with new wires, something we dont have, so you cant improve them. As it is, our plugs are pretty damn good. not "the best" but probably plenty good to ignite our engine without a problem.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:06 AM
ProjectGoose

i'll get iridium plugs once the stock ones need replacement, but I won't drop 2 bills for *maybe* 2 hp. that is just a joke.

BTW - d00d, evRebody needs 2 pic up teh "Tornado" It RoXxOrs my BoXxOrs, hardc0re.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:13 AM
M.O.D

Yeah... i think you guys are right, maybe it won't help our new Z, my friends are all 01' cars, so maybe that's why they felt the difference... but if i have nothin else to do (time to find new things to fiddle around), i will install it and see the difference... i will let you guys know the result... so you guys got nothin to lose, just wait for the result
Old 04-15-2003, 08:19 AM
WashUJon

Iridium plugs aren't going to change the basic physics of of the ignition system, especially when compared to brand new and properly gapped platinum plugs. 2hp isn't statistically significant either. I bet its even less than the standard error of the dyno...
Old 04-15-2003, 08:21 AM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahahaha krinkov- you crack me up man. I swear you just sit in your house all day and do nothing but surf for pics and photoshop them. Hilarious.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:23 AM
ProjectGoose

m.o.d. - i was just looking over your set-up in your sig. you have any pics? I might have seen them already, but can't remember. Me wants DB too, so seeing your rig will help me decide what i want for mine. How are the teins? what's the drop? Man, i can't wait to get my Z...
Old 04-15-2003, 12:06 PM
M.O.D

Yeah~ been wanting to share some pics with you guys too... i will take some pics as soon as i get her back... rolling venders and upgrading HID... went all the way to LA, will going there to pick it up during my spring break... the TEIN is good... there is a SLIGHT difference when you change modes with the EDFC... not much though... i dropped it 1 finger spacing from the vender to my wheels... good thing i am still w/o bodykit
Old 04-15-2003, 04:15 PM
TampaBayNSX-R

I learned about the benefits of Iridium plugs about six months ago. I installed them in my NSX and gained about 7rwhp by doing so. For an investment of $150 bucks, that was a DEAL. The typical mods for the NSX work out to about $100/hp, ie:headers, exhaust, cold air intake, etc...Perfect example was Comptech's supercharger that sold for over $10,500 for several years and only added about 85hp. I agree that it would be interesting to see what a set of Iridium plugs would do with the VQ engine. Someone pull the trigger and post some dyno plots!
Old 04-15-2003, 04:24 PM
12SecZ

Default double post

sorry, every once in awhile some hot key on my keyboard makes a post before I am done typing. Annoying.

Last edited by 12SecZ; 04-15-2003 at 04:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug... abt 10hp increase