Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Thinking about UR Ultra S Crank Pulley: Set or Crank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 05:07 PM
skaterbasist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about UR Ultra S Crank Pulley: Set or Crank?

I'm thinking about getting the UR Crank Pulley. The only thing I expect is better throttle response. If I do end up getting more power, good. If not, oh well.

After doing some research here and elsewhere, I still have alot of questions not answered.

Why should I go with the UR Pullet SET instead of just the UR Crank Pulley? From what I understand, the Crank pulley is the only thing that matters. The rest might free up some weight, but nothing significant since its not at the crank.

As of now, im leaning toward just the UR crank pulley; its cheap and worth a shot. (Estimated at $190).

I'll be getting an ECU reflashed, so any problems with these underdrive [crank] pulley's should be eliminated... I hope .

Thanks to anyone with feedback/help. If anyone wants to point out anything important not directly related to my question, please do. The more I know, the better.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:44 PM
zmedic16

im interested in this post as well. im thinking of my next upgrade to be a pulley set.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:48 PM
roland_of_g

I just got one. I'm putting it on this weekend. Anyone know the size of the bolt on the main pulley?

I've tried to find a DIY post but have not found one. Maybe i'll make one and post. i'm sure it cant be too hard.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:15 AM
SergEK

I think pullies arent worth the power from an engine longevity standpoint

Harmonics are vital and I think the pullies detract from balancing your rotating parts

Just a thought

Each time the air/fuel mixture inside a cylinder is ignited, the combustion that results creates a torque spike - an extremely rapid rise in cylinder pressure. This pressure, applied to the top of the piston, becomes the force that is applied to the crankshaft through the connecting rod. Each torque spike is like a hammer blow. In fact, it hits with sufficient intensity that it not only causes the crankshaft to turn, it actually deflects or twists it. This twisting action and the resulting rebound (as the crank arm snaps back in the opposite direction) is known as torsional harmonic vibration. If not adequately controlled, torsional vibration causes rapid main bearing and main journal wear and possible crankshaft breakage.

If pulling a few ponies is a must try a Fluidampr or something along those lines that is lighter but still keeps things in check
Old 04-21-2007, 10:02 AM
skaterbasist

serGek,

Thanks for your post. I thought about the whole "balancing" issue too. But from what I understand, there isnt any proof to support this. It could be true on other engines, but as of now, no proof on this engine.

As I said before, power isnt what im really looking for. I just want to improve throttle responce; but If I do gain a few ponies and tq, its nothing expected.

So back to my original question, Why should I go with the UR Ultra S Pulley SET instead of just the UR Ultra S Crank Pulley?

From what I understand, nothing is gained from the accesory pullies (meaning all but the crank pulley). The rest just seem to be for show, and just makes you loose a few meaningless pounds.

I don't mind spending $200 dollars on such an easy mod. The risks seem to be absent.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:34 AM
bofa

Everything I've read shows that the crank pulley will show the most improvement and there's little if any improvement for be gained by the other pulleys.

Also, UR now offers a lightweight crank pulley in stock diameter too.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:35 AM
bofa

Oh yeah, I'll be selling my brand new UR crank pulley and new gates belts soon. I never got it installed because of the consumption issue and it will not work on the 07.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:30 PM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by bofa
Everything I've read shows that the crank pulley will show the most improvement and there's little if any improvement for be gained by the other pulleys.

Also, UR now offers a lightweight crank pulley in stock diameter too.
Yeah that's the conclusion I've come too also.

Also, what would be the point of purchasing the UR crank pulley in stock diameter? From what I understand, the UR Ultra S is only 15% underdrive, which is nothing to worry about. Ill be getting a tune also, which should raise my idle a bit. So that should help.

I also will not be going FI for a while, so I don't really see the need of a stock diameter unless theres a good reason to stay stock diameter.

PS. Thanks for the offer. Ill consider it when I'm ready to buy

Old 04-21-2007, 07:50 PM
bofa

Some people don't like underdrive and you could technically use your same belts if you wanted to.