Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Does your clutch ever stick to the floor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 04:49 AM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sponge
I'm having the same issue after some driving when it is 90°F+ here in CA. Having headers, HFC, popcharger, intake manifold, I think it's getting hot in the engine bay. Where did you get the ss clutch line and high temp fluid? How much were both items? Summer is coming and I hate this crap so want to fix this now.

Thanks
You can get both at Forged performance for like $60
Old 05-18-2007, 06:52 AM
joselito76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it only happen to me at the track 2 times not at lunch was on third gear.a 2007
Old 07-02-2007, 11:37 PM
banshee_z71

just got home from giving a friend with a vette a ride in my new 07 Z. Tried to launch it but it didn't even spin the tires and i thought the VDC was on. It wasn't so I turned it on and back off. Did the same thing again. Then I smelt the clutch. Of course I got the "you can't drive" look. So I just took off normal then drove 130 mph for about 1.5 miles. When I got to a junction I tried getting on it again, the z did a 180 almost ended up in the ditch, but i acted like i did it on purpose and went around the corners faster than i've ever been in his vette. Then I got the "your crazy I'm never riding with you again" look. Back to my point, I think you guys are right about the brake fluid getting hot. I had been cruzing town going very slow before i got on it the first time. After driving 130 it must have got enough air to cool off the fluid. Can't wait to try the SS line and rbf600 fluid. Thank for the help!
Old 07-02-2007, 11:50 PM
pimpin714style

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
IT used to. Then I switched to a ss clutch line and motul rbf600 flush and it never happens to me any more--no more boiling clutch fluid after launches.
same thing happened to me during a mountain run, just installed headers and with the temps that day i boiled the fluid. motul rbf600 is the way to go and then i picked up this clutchline from 350zsource.com http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/LNP02/21-2174
havent had any repeats since.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:56 PM
G350ZTT

It happened to me onece or twice when taking off on 2nd gear. Now the only prob is that i have to drag the clutch out or ill get a nasty jump out the line. act stage 5 clutch with nismo flyw...

Last edited by G350ZTT; 07-07-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:19 AM
350zx6r

well im having a similar problem... or at least I think!! hear me out everyone please!!!

Whenever I drive the car for a long period of time, lets say 30min to 1hour the clutch gets very slippery. it only works half way up or down, kinda like stuck to the floor but not 100%.... i dont drag my car, I do all my services at the dealer and I have extended warranty but I am afraid nissan/dealers will say it is part of the so called wear/tear. I bought the car brand new last september (NOT EVEN A YEAR YET) and I know I drive it a lot but I dont abuse it. To tell you the truth this started to happen after I bought my motorcycle, cause I havent driven my car in a while....so I really dont know whats going on!! Can anybody tell me what to do PLEASE?
Old 07-20-2007, 03:07 AM
trinityracing

Time to upgrade...
Old 07-20-2007, 09:30 AM
350zx6r

but thats going to cost me SOME money. clutch/flywheel + ss line + oil...
Old 07-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Three5oZee

mmmk I had this problem on my last drift practice. someone just clarified it easily on page two I believe, I should have just quoted him.... anyway as my mechanic explained, the fluid ends up boiling and creating air pockets in the clutch lines... ie, air in the clutch line and a sticky clutch. upgrading fluid and eventually chainging out the lines will suffice. If your burning the clutch out and smell it.... thats something your doing wrong....

STOP RIDING THE CLUTCH AN YOU WONT SMELL IT OR BURN IT OUT!

another idea is to coat your line with the heat wrap of your choice if you want to go the inexpensive route....

...so bleed your clutch out, lose that cheap fluid, and get a fluid that withstands 500 degrees or better if you can find such a thing. fill it back up... pump the clutch and bleed it out until theres no air in the lines... done deal...
Old 07-28-2007, 03:13 PM
2007 Z

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Ahhhh so pissed at the drag strip today my clutch stuck to the floor twice while coming off the line. Afterwards I smelled nasty clutch.

Anyone have their clutch stick when launching?
I haven't gotten my new 07' Z to the track yet, so haven't had the problem there. But have I had that problem on the road. This is my 2nd 07' Z now. The first one didn't have a single problem. But my new one started having clutch problems like that after about 5k miles. Then it got progressively worse and completely went out on me on wednesday. The pedal went straight to the floor and I couldn't engage any gear. It was stuck in neutral. I had to have it towed.

I had went to the dealership on monday and they had to order a new master cylinder, said it wasn't holding pressure. It's at the dealership getting fixed now, and only has 6,800 miles. Something tells me it wasn't just the master cylinder or I would have it back by now... they're probably waiting on more parts they had to order. Guess I'll find out on monday.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:33 PM
JCSVT

The C5/C6 Corvette guys have a big problem with this also. No one has figured out how to completely get rid of it but keeping the clutch fluid clear helps greatly. Some guys clean the clutch reservoir about once a week.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Fooshe

2007-z, Funny you mention that....I just had to take mine back for a burned up clutch master cylinder. West Covina Nissan is advising that they are starting to see these things roll in now. It seems that when the clutches heat up, they will tend to go to the floor until they cool.

The fix, after you buy another clutch cyl., is put in some Motul fluid and go to the braided line. Nissan is being made aware of the issue, but they are claiming that this problem is only happening when under "extreme" conditions and only "when being used in situations that the car was not designed for."

In other words, they are not going to cover it!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Ronster

bad driving day for me today. fighting with my ol lady, slammed it in reverse... bam! glued to the mat! and that smell... ugh. horrible. time to upgrade the car.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:55 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

happened to me the other night during a down shift while canyon drifting during a left... POS clutch smelled like i burnt up a animal... damn coons!
i have a 05 w/ 7k miles btw
Old 10-05-2007, 03:01 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Originally Posted by Three5oZee
mmmk I had this problem on my last drift practice. someone just clarified it easily on page two I believe, I should have just quoted him.... anyway as my mechanic explained, the fluid ends up boiling and creating air pockets in the clutch lines... ie, air in the clutch line and a sticky clutch. upgrading fluid and eventually chainging out the lines will suffice. If your burning the clutch out and smell it.... thats something your doing wrong....

STOP RIDING THE CLUTCH AN YOU WONT SMELL IT OR BURN IT OUT!

another idea is to coat your line with the heat wrap of your choice if you want to go the inexpensive route....

...so bleed your clutch out, lose that cheap fluid, and get a fluid that withstands 500 degrees or better if you can find such a thing. fill it back up... pump the clutch and bleed it out until theres no air in the lines... done deal...

notes taken...
Old 12-29-2007, 09:47 AM
tropicalypso

My clutch did the same thing at the drag strip, I launched hard, shifted into second, and the clutch never came off of the floor. I wasn't expecting it, and rev'ed the engine a few time, as it initially felt like I wasn't getting any traction.

I immediately parked it (in the designated area, not the strip), and yes, there was a bad burnt clutch smell. I was able to do a couple more runs without incident, and it made the hour trip home. Judging from this, how bad did I work over my clutch, and should I go ahead and replace/upgrade it?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:05 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

I had this problem, back in the day.

SS clutch line and high temp fluid will fix it.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:35 AM
350zx6r

that helped my problem. but I also took my car to a dealer here is south florida and they noticed that something else was leaking and was causing my clutch to stick to the floor. I got that replaced under warranty + I decided to get SS clutch line + motul break/clutch fluid. now its better than ever! I need to find out what was replaced.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:48 AM
rkd350z

happened to me twice too. I have 06 base and it was under 10k miles. I never had it after. and yeah when I drive my car hard, clutch feels weak after or the whole car feels weak.. I don;t know..
Old 01-01-2008, 12:18 PM
350zx6r

it was the clutch slave cylinder. it was leaking and the 3rd dealer I went to after having the issue dectected it and replaced it under warranty.

Quick Reply: Does your clutch ever stick to the floor?