Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Hard #s on the Crawford Z Plenium

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 07:35 AM
all_bark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that I am complaining because I love seeing the gains finally starting to show up but...

why doesn't the ecu reset the power gains back to the stock numbers after a little while? It seems every other mod I have read (or aleast the ones that show gains) about shows initial increases in HP but after a while the ecu resets to factory default.

will this be an even better gain after the ecu is correctly mapped then flashed?

Also - like someone else on this thread stated, I am definitely interested in keeping all my stock parts. A - In case of warranty work, I can easily put the factory plenum back on and B - In case I ever sell the car. (in like a hundred years or so ) So will you make any better deal for the people who "have" to keep their stock plenums?
Old 05-02-2003, 08:14 AM
qirex

Originally posted by Evil350z
0 - 4000 very stock feel
4000 - 5200 ehhh, something feels different
5200 - redline - pulls like a Honda (I made 20 rwhp up here)

At idle the car feels like it revs quite a bit easier...

and just for laughs... which its hasn't been mentioned...

this thing makes a killer ... woo woo sound!
yeah man you know you should be up in the morning making some breakfast or something.

Anyhow, who cares re: power "we jus' doing this fo decorashun"!

woooo-wooooo!
Old 05-02-2003, 09:16 AM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ECU has already been admitted by NISSAN, that no such "dialing out" of power occurs.

Further more, why would any company develop such a thing? ECUs adapt to a point... though don't say... "oh ****... we're making more power... lets retard timing." Seriously... a car just can't deduct power, it would either have to drop the timing back, or TOTALLY throw the air/fuel mix off. If it did that thou, your fuel economy would SUCK.

This whole, ECU cutting power back is silly. An ECU adapting and utilizing its new gains is VERY realistic.

Even then, the plenum is after ANY sensors... the engine will just think its running more efficiently.

By the way... it does WOO WOO... and VERY for dekerayshuns!
Old 05-02-2003, 09:38 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there any way you guys could post a video of the car with the headers, plenum and high flow cats while accelerating through the gears. A nice speedo shot would be awesome. When the final version of this plenum is developed and finished I want to be the 1st to have it, so please put me on the list BTW, anybody ever think about some Bridgestone RE730's, I think they are the happy median between the RE040's and the S03's.....had them on my last car and they are very good handling tires, and they hook pretty good.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:16 AM
PhoenixINX

Yeah, I'm sure we can shoot a video sometime.

Only downside, with the ultra heavy 275 S03s in the rear... its slowed this beast back down in a straight line. We need to strap my tracks on the car.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:51 PM
rodH

Yeah, I'm sure we can shoot a video sometime.

Only downside, with the ultra heavy 275 S03s in the rear... its slowed this beast back down in a straight line. We need to strap my tracks on the car.
toyos are MUCH lighter too
Old 05-03-2003, 09:11 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

Evil,

I am glad that you find ECUs adjusting for greater amounts air flow than is allowed for in their spec "silly", but it does happen on many ECUs, ask the IS300 folk. Also, the plenum is not downstream of ALL sensors. The O2 sensors in the exhaust path obviously happen downstream of the plenum. Based on readings from them, versus the expected values, irregularities could cause some ECUs to retard timing and reduce the performance gains.

As for Nissan already saying there is not any adaptive power robbing code in the ECU, like everything Nissan has said recently I will take that with a whole handful of salt. I hope what they are saying is the truth, and that our interpretation is not different than their intention (I have not seen the exact quote so makes it difficult to see all possible interpretations.)

I sincerely do hope that all of Doug's work shows great results and those results are constant over time. Thanks Doug for all your hard work.

JD
Old 05-04-2003, 07:21 AM
Traffic

Forgive my ignorance here, but couldn't we just alter the O2 sensor to prevent the ECU from 'negating' any intake modifications?
Old 05-04-2003, 09:07 AM
all_bark

Originally posted by VQracer
It does not negate, read this page again.

The ECU dialing out modifications is a false rumor that has been going around these boards.
then why are people reporting that some mods (intakes and some exhausts) that are put on show less (or no) horsepower gains after the ecu has had time to reset?

Some people are saying it does and some people say's it doesnot! I plan on buying an injen intake this week that I will connect to my pop charger, I wonder if this is just a waste of money or will I actually see a gain? My butt dyno told me the pop charger (by itself) showed a gain but the butt dyno does not produce hard numbers.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:13 AM
FLY BY Z

I would trust the dyno proven results that have showed no gain or small gain over a Nissan PR rep or anyone from Nissan for that matter. They are out to do one thing, sell more cars. They will tell you exactly what you want to hear even after you bought your car. They do not want us to feel buyer's remorse. That would lead to less brand loyalty and fewer repeat purchases. All Nissan wants to do is sell you a car. After that they want to sell you another. Nissan is an auto manufacturer. Nissan sells what they produce, hopefully after they know what we want. Nissan is not into aftermarket modifications. Nissan is not Nismo even if Nismo is Nissan. Trust what you see and not what you hear. We see the dyno results, we hear PR.

Use your noggins. We all know the basic premise of making more power is related to producing more airflow (and coresponding fuel flow) through the motor. So if we open up the intake and open up the exhaust, there should, even theoretically, be some gain. However, there is not. This is shown in more than one instance by aftermarket companies trying to produce products that make more power than stock. They are reporting no gains after the ECU has time to compensate. Why would they do something that hurts their sales? I would ask yourself who you really believe is being more honest. Nissan or the aftermarket?
Old 05-04-2003, 09:59 AM
Traffic

The part I don't understand is that one of my associates got the JWT pop charger and we both dynoed our cars back to back (he had the intake on for weeks at that point; mine was stock). Essentially the same car, same dyno and identical conditions, he dynoed something like 7-8HP higher than mine on three separate runs. The only instance where people reported the gains were supposedly negated was with the Injen CAI.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:06 AM
PhoenixINX

Bah... forget intakes...

You want power... you gotta get the headers and plenum.

btw - he told me this BEFORE the plenum was done. Rumor has it he wants to trade his whistle tips for a plenum for the Supra.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:19 AM
all_bark

Originally posted by VQracer
That's because the POP Charger just sucks and didn't do anything for anyone with it.
Huh?
Old 05-04-2003, 11:03 AM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by all_bark
Huh?
He's saying the JWT pop-charger was a waste of money.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Just a reminder. Doug's tests on the headers were after them being in the car for quite awhile, including a drive to Atlanta from Nashville.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:18 AM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by MannishBoy
Just a reminder. Doug's tests on the headers were after them being in the car for quite awhile, including a drive to Atlanta from Nashville.
Hense the rumor of the ECU "dialing out" power-adders... is BS.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:24 AM
all_bark

He's saying the JWT pop-charger was a waste of money.
Even if it does not add any power at all I still like it.

Reasons -

1) It sounds much better when driving hard than the stock air box and

2) It is completely cleanable and reusable. Never have to buy another air filter again

Ha!
Old 05-04-2003, 11:32 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Hense the rumor of the ECU "dialing out" power-adders... is BS.
Guess you didn't autox today, either?

I woke up late with a headache, so decided not to go. Maybe the 18th will work out
Old 05-04-2003, 01:53 PM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by MannishBoy
Guess you didn't autox today, either?

I woke up late with a headache, so decided not to go. Maybe the 18th will work out
Yeah, the better half and I were up all night shooting Jose... lol

Wasn't really up for racing! Def - lets plan on the next event.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:22 AM
aggie300zx

Daytona,

What mileage were the two cars at? We found at a big Z dyno day awhile back that the more miles on the car the higher the numbers were. Not sure if that was a factor for the dyno's you mentioned but thought it was worth bringing up. And yes, some of the folks had intakes on their cars. Mine didn't (only have a grounding kit) and I dyno'd second highest of the day at 244hp.

Quick Reply: Hard #s on the Crawford Z Plenium