Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Hard #s on the Crawford Z Plenium

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 09:42 AM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by aggie300zx
Daytona,

What mileage were the two cars at? We found at a big Z dyno day awhile back that the more miles on the car the higher the numbers were. Not sure if that was a factor for the dyno's you mentioned but thought it was worth bringing up. And yes, some of the folks had intakes on their cars. Mine didn't (only have a grounding kit) and I dyno'd second highest of the day at 244hp.
Both cars were right around the 12k mileage marker... within 500 miles of each other.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:22 AM
wileecoyte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing to remember that I think a lot of people are forgetting. As you put miles on the motor it will break in and give better numbers. So it's possible that people don't have many miles on the car, get a little mod which may be doing little to nothing and dyno. Then they go back later and dyno again, the engine has loosened up more and given some more power. Just something to remember that's all.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:15 PM
PhoenixINX

Agreed... thou once you hit the 5k mile marker... don't expect to continue to gain power.

Hense myself having 13k miles won't show anymore power then say someone with 7k miles.

In time if carbon was to build up, and perhaps increase compression (a long shot here)... then sure MAYBE a higher HP would be found. All in all we're talking no more than +/- 5hp.

Big deal.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Traffic

Originally posted by aggie300zx
Daytona,

What mileage were the two cars at? We found at a big Z dyno day awhile back that the more miles on the car the higher the numbers were. Not sure if that was a factor for the dyno's you mentioned but thought it was worth bringing up. And yes, some of the folks had intakes on their cars. Mine didn't (only have a grounding kit) and I dyno'd second highest of the day at 244hp.
At the time, I think he had something like 7000 miles, maybe more and I had 1500 or so. No more than 2000.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:46 PM
aggie300zx

Well in my opinion that might explain some of the varience. The difference in the mileage I believe will have an effect on the numbers. So it would really be hard to tell if the pop-charger helped or not. However, you can't really compare one car to another even if the same conditions, dyno's are used. The only way I understand to tell if a mod has helped HP is to use comparison's before and after of the car being modded.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:33 AM
Traffic

ttt...
Old 05-17-2003, 11:42 AM
92hatchattack

yes yes-- ttt --- whats going on with all this Crawford stuff?? -- are these parts available at the time???? -- im intrested in the intkate and headers
Old 05-17-2003, 12:03 PM
Mr B

Default Re: I posted these elsewhere

Originally posted by VQracer
People are arguing that the factory ECU negates any performance gains by dialing out certain aspects of the engine.

I'm saying that this is not true because people have posted gains and dynos to prove gains. Also, because a Nissan rep said that this does not happen.

Here's the thinker.......

Why would NISMO release power-adders if the ECU negated gains? That would mean that NISMO would have to release an ECU of their own to make the gains present, but they are not listing an ECU upgrade in their current U.S. catalogue and a NISMO rep at SEMA IAS said there was no ECU. Which leads me to even further think that the ECU does not negate gains.

Victor
To make a profit, that's why they're making parts. The sports compact scene is blooming and a very profitable field right now. I think some magazine said it's up to like 2.4 billion dollars last year. I seriously don't believe anything a car manufacturer says about this ECU thing. Maybe they're playing word games. Telling us that it doesn't "negate" power but leaving out that it just "adapts" to driving habits to make the best fuel mileage. Also, another reason why Nissan may not release an ECU is cuz of emissions and warranty issues. It's just to cover their asses.
Is there also not a thread by Cheston about what Techtom has been doing to the ECU and has been figuring out why the ECU is cutting back power? I would trust Techtom cuz they've been doing ECU's for a very long time and have actually been doing research on the ECU... unlike a Nissan rep that just tells you something. Almost as bad as dealers giving out info on a twin turbo system coming out for 2 grand.
Old 05-17-2003, 01:57 PM
350zdanny

There may be some truth to the ECU negating some power gains and I'm not sure exactly how it does what it does. Some people have done some research and know better than I do.

I guess what the ECU does, since it can't alter the amount of air entering the engine, is screw with the timing. Now if someone installs an intake, maybe the ECU can "adapt" and negate some of the power. But once someone starts installing headers, eliminating cats, opening up the stock exhaust, etc... the ECU will not be able to screw with the timing and negate any major power gains.

But maybe it's all propaganda from Nissan or people complaining about their butt-dyno's not working. I'll admit I haven't done all the research, partly because I love my car, shitty ECU or no shitty ECU.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:20 PM
wren57
Banned

Heres my best uneducated guess on the subject

For the ECU to retard spark timing with more air entering the engine would negate HP mods, but would also cause the engine to run rich, losing gas mileage and clogging the engine with carbon. Now heres what I think. I would guess, since we have drive-by-wire throttle bodies in our cars, that the MAF only allows the throttle body to open 97% or so of the way instead of 100% of the way, thus balancing the more air in the intake against a more restrictive throttle body to cause the total amount of air going into the chambers to equalize with stock... any ideas?
Old 05-17-2003, 02:22 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any updates on if the new castings have been made and when they will be available?
Old 05-17-2003, 02:31 PM
VandyZ

Originally posted by 350zdanny
I guess what the ECU does, since it can't alter the amount of air entering the engine, is screw with the timing.
Do we know this for a fact? The drive by wire system is computer regulated. When you get the car into "limp" mode it does alter the amount of air into the engine by controlling the throttle response.

Another fact is the revs stays high on let off because it closes the T/B slower than a wire system. It makes every day shifting jumpy sometimes if you don’t catch it right.

We are currently using ODB-II computer interface to record what is going on during runs and comparing modded cars and stock cars. Hopefully it will give some clues as to what needs to be changed and how so.

Plenum is in California to see what can be done about a molding. Until then Doug is making them by hand. They dont look stock but it makes great power!

Last edited by VandyZ; 05-17-2003 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:36 PM
Rob Nance

I wonder what would happen with Mine's stage 2 kit + these headers and plenum + a good exhaust. Can't one of you rich guys buy all of this and get it dyno'd?

Right now that sounds like the ultimate NA setup right there. If Mine's numbers were RWHP, close to 350 rwhp should be within reach from these mods.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:51 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The timing retardation is a fact...

with the ECU program on my car, we just "disallow" the car from correcting itself after sensing a higher-flow intake and leaner fuel curve...

on another interesting note, we leaned the top end out, raised the rev limit, and with just a velocity stacked filter (with stock air box piping), my test pipes, and a ypipe, we are getting double digits gains....

the new ecu program really kicks in after 4100-4200, and i was feeling constant pull all the way to the evelated redline, and that was confirmed with the dyno charts i was looking at..

the Pre-VTC/Pos-VTC turn over (for the dual timing charts. aka vtech-ish honda-style) is at around 4300, and we are getting a huge spike in burst of power immediately following the switch over.... man, if only we could get a set of the plenum/headers, we could add to your 43 rwhp.. and quite possibly see much much more....

--Cheston.

Originally posted by VandyZ
Do we know this for a fact? The drive by wire system is computer regulated. When you get the car into "limp" mode it does alter the amount of air into the engine by controlling the throttle response.

Old 05-19-2003, 08:35 AM
ravaz

What did you guys raise the rev limit to?

Originally posted by Chebosto
on another interesting note, we leaned the top end out, raised the rev limit, and with just a velocity stacked filter (with stock air box piping), my test pipes, and a ypipe, we are getting double digits gains....

Old 05-19-2003, 12:51 PM
Rob Nance

By the way, please don't just offer the BLING BLING plenum. I prefer the way the one shown on the thread looks. I despise chrome and polished parts in the engine bay, for me personally. An engine should be ugly and powerful.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:46 PM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by Rob Nance
By the way, please don't just offer the BLING BLING plenum. I prefer the way the one shown on the thread looks. I despise chrome and polished parts in the engine bay, for me personally. An engine should be ugly and powerful.
There are already three plenums ready to be made... cut up, and being welded this week. As ugly as one could ask for.

One of them are mine... right Doug???
Old 05-19-2003, 06:05 PM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by Evil350z
There are already three plenums ready to be made... cut up, and being welded this week. As ugly as one could ask for.

One of them are mine... right Doug???
lol, you should have seen this beater at the dragstrip Evil350z. No hood, rust covered and primer where there was no rust. Looked to be a early 70s Mopar. Very ghetto looking, but spraying it was running in the high 9s, maybe low 10s, at I believe 145mph. Gotta love it.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:56 PM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by Rob Nance
lol, you should have seen this beater at the dragstrip Evil350z. No hood, rust covered and primer where there was no rust. Looked to be a early 70s Mopar. Very ghetto looking, but spraying it was running in the high 9s, maybe low 10s, at I believe 145mph. Gotta love it.
Nice... absolute sleeper.

I still am going to get an old cop car and just drop a 200 shot on it... so what it'll do for one run!
Old 05-20-2003, 11:57 AM
menehune

I don't know much about the physical properties of carbon fiber, but how about making the top half ( if not all ) of the plenum CF? It would have the aesthetic appeal yet be very functional. Oh well, I may be dreaming.

Quick Reply: Hard #s on the Crawford Z Plenium