Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

help!!!clutch stuck to the floor!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:25 AM
sixsigmalarry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Sounds a supplier screwed up!

Nissan needs to contain this issue before it hits more consumers. More importantly, they need to get a game plan together to help everyone hit by this issue.

Launching a new model year full of engineering changes is never easy. They know how to handle this type of situation....they just need to act and communicate the plan quickly.

Just my $0.02....from a guy in the automotive industry...
Old 05-03-2007, 11:09 AM
6894kevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, but when was nissan the best at admitting problems ex... (the tire fethering issue) I just hope my 07 doesn't run in to this problem
Old 05-03-2007, 01:21 PM
350zDale

well, the regional manager has been helpful and first called to verify what exactly it is I'm talking about.

then he went to talk with the tech.

He has called me back and they will replace the slave cylinder under warranty. The clutch is a seperate issue right now.

He wants to take this one step at a time - and if the clutch works better with the new slave cylinder, then they'll replace the clutch.
If it doesn't work better, the clutch can then be replaced at my cost.

I'm not completely satisfied with the actions, but at least they are trying. I know they don't want to do more work than they have to.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:30 AM
6894kevin

Correct me if i am wrong, BUT if they replace it with stock parts then won't this happen again. Or are the parts they are going to be installing different and hopefully better. If this is a desigh problem, wont this just be like putting a band aid on the problem only to see it happen again????
Old 05-04-2007, 08:56 AM
DriveI65

I had the same thing, only pulling out into traffic. I had to hook my foot under the pedal and then it didn't really want to accelerate. I took my 07 in yesterday and the Nissan QA Engineer ok'd replacement of the complete clutch activation mechanism from the slave to the pedal. He wants the old parts sent to Nissan for examination.

I really like my dealer, Regal Nissan, in N. Alabama. I had an 03 until I bought this one and they have been great! Too bad other dealers are not as good as they are.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:04 AM
TheGest

Originally Posted by DriveI65
I had the same thing, only pulling out into traffic. I had to hook my foot under the pedal and then it didn't really want to accelerate. I took my 07 in yesterday and the Nissan QA Engineer ok'd replacement of the complete clutch activation mechanism from the slave to the pedal. He wants the old parts sent to Nissan for examination.

I really like my dealer, Regal Nissan, in N. Alabama. I had an 03 until I bought this one and they have been great! Too bad other dealers are not as good as they are.
How many miles?
Old 05-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Tenac1ousZ

it sounds a lot like there is air bubble in the clutch line, like a few have metioned. Bleed the fluid, see if that works. Or just take it to the dealer and let the take care of it.

For those who are not familiar with bleeding the clutch, it's as easy as bleeding the brake fluid, only different order:

in an '04, the valve is next to the tranny, on the left side. It's part of the clutch piping and looks just like the brake bleed valve.

1- unscrew it one turn or two
2- press down on clutch
3- screw valve back (but not tight)
4- pull up on clutch

5- repeat step one.
easy
Old 05-04-2007, 10:06 AM
DriveI65

It happened around 4K.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:15 AM
350zDale

Originally Posted by 6894kevin
Correct me if i am wrong, BUT if they replace it with stock parts then won't this happen again. Or are the parts they are going to be installing different and hopefully better. If this is a desigh problem, wont this just be like putting a band aid on the problem only to see it happen again????

I agree... but if it does seem to make the clutch feel a little better, it would indicate that the clutch being burned up was not because of abuse, but from lack of the clutch being fully engaged with the flywheel.

Therefore, I could maybe get the clutch replaced under warranty.

But I've done so much *****ing, I'm not getting anywhere anymore.

Does anyone know how to get ahold of someone in high places in NissanUSA? I'd really like to really send a message to this company. It's a matter of principle ethics and dealing with consumer safety/fairness at this point.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:18 AM
350zDale

ALSO,
Doesn't it say something about the design of the clutch engaging system when in the '07 models, they change the design???? They know there's a problem - only problem now is the new design is worse than the first.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Ztalker

www.lemonlawamerica.com

www.lemonlaw.BBB.org
Old 05-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Mansmind

FWIW, the cause of mine was diagnosed as an "air pocket" in the hydraulic system. Apparently there is a primary bleed, but no secondary bleed in this system. Since the bleed valve is "low" in the system, the air has to be forced down to be bled completely....so it's difficult to bleed.

I picked mine up this morning (new clutch assembly, etc.). I'm not 100% sure I buy the above story, but it DOES make sense based upon what I was experiencing. FWIW... the clutch does feel better in general now. I hadn't had the sticking problem in a couple of weeks before I took it in.. but I always felt like it was a little "soft", and now it's better. The difference is not dramatic.. but it's there.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:55 AM
350zDale

Well, got the Z back yesterday evening -

I got to see the parts, the clutch was gone. The tabs from the clutch had even worn nice big rings in the flywheel.

The service rep still charged the $900 for doing the clutch, but I've got the slave cylinder and flywheel ($1400 part) replaced under warranty.

The clutch feels much better now. Before, the pedal engaged pretty high from the floor - now it's more normal positioning

When I went to leave, the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light was on, so I walked back in and told em. Right away he took the car back into the shop and they flashed the computer, which was telling them it was a throttle sensor setting causing the light - but now it's fixed.

In all, I figure I'm getting somewhat of a fair deal since I didn't end up with a crappy flywheel against a new clutch - and didn't have to pay for that part.

But, I'll still be keeping an eye out for the hydrolics to malfunction, and if they do, I'll just bleed them myself right away.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:07 AM
SargentZ

Heres my question. Are people having the problem going through the proper breakin procedure? Are they hammerin the clutch, slipping it alot, etc? I'm about to round the 1000 mile mark. I have been good about not going over 4K and have been easy on the shifting, although I have been going through the gears up and down diligently to breakem in, so I hope I don't run into this issue. Iassume its happening around the 3-4K mile mark?

SZ
Old 05-08-2007, 07:37 PM
cellude

Has anyone been able to get there hands on a '07 service manual? Courtesy Nissan said it wasn't available yet. Anyways, I was wondering how to bleed the new '07 slave cylinder/throwout bearing comb mechanism since usually the bleed nipple is on the slave cylinder. However, since it's in the tranny please don't tell me the tranny has to be pulled to bleed the clutch system.

Thanks,