Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Yet another clicking thread, but this seems different

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 04:44 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yet another clicking thread, but this seems different

Hey guys,
I've been searching around for clicking noise issues and seems like there's a few threads out there where people are seeing clutch related issues but mine seems different.

I have an 03 base and it's making a clicking sound ONLY when I am in 1st gear and slipping the clutch as it is engaging the engine. I get a few audible clicks that seem to come from the rear. There is no clicking when the clutch is pressed in. There is no clicking when the car is idling in neutral. It only happens when I am connecting with the engine while slipping the clutch in 1st. If I am very gentle about it, the clicking doesn't seem to happen. When I give it some moderate gas and slip the clutch rather quickly, not dumping it though, it happens.

Any ideas? It definitely seems to come from the rear of the car. I have Nissan Gold warranty on the car so I am thinking of just bringing it in and having the dealer have a shot at it under warranty. I want to hear your opinions first so I have a better shot at spotting BS if I get it at a dealership. I'm new to Zs so I'm still learning the ropes with this car. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:10 AM
coreapoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess would be pressure plate against the flywheel... somethings loose maybe I dunno, but Id get it checked out
Old 04-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you check the top 100 questions thread, regarding the rear axle clicking TSB?

That's what this sounds like to me.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

100% definately your axles that are clicking. Very very common, especially for 03-04's, and I have even heard 05's click.
See if the dealer will install a new set for you.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:35 AM
Ziggyrama

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Did you check the top 100 questions thread, regarding the rear axle clicking TSB?

That's what this sounds like to me.
Thanks for the info guys. I didn't see the 100 questions thread. Can you point me at it? I apologize if this is a common question. I searched around and did not find any info relevant to problem. I'll see if the dealer will do something about it.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:22 AM
Ziggyrama

OK, found the 100 question thread. Yup, it's in there. So, I'm subject to TSB and will go to the dealer and have this taken care of. From the description, improper lubrication was quoted as the cause. If dealer replaces the axle, how will that fix the problem and what will stop it from doing it again? Will they replace it an improved part? Will they just lube it up? What's the reoccurance factor on this issue? Is this something that people get fixed and keep going back in for? I know, I know, that's a lot of questions I've seen these cronic issues with cars before and dealers sometimes apply band-aid fixes that just postpone yet another visit. I guess I'm trying to set my expectations right.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For me, they replaced some bolts in the axles and lubed them up with a special grease. All done for free under TSB service

I've heard of it recurring, but it shouldn't be a major issue. If they do it right, the grease should last a really long time.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My axles click three times and then I get to go back home.