Synthetic Oil Questions - Changing to Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:50 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil Questions - Changing to Synthetic

Hey guys,
I got my Z 3 months ago and was just due for an oil change. I decided to go for Synthetic and now I have a few questions about it. I also didn't know it was so expensive ended up cost about $43 after buying 5 quarts of mobil1 5w30 and mobil1 oil filter.

Q1. How long do I need to wait before I change my oil again? Some says 5k, some says 7.5k what is the norm? I know it varies between drivers but my driving habits is just normal, taking it easy. I drive 2-3 days at most (weekends) and I don't drive her hard either.

Q2. As for as Synthetic filter goes...do you change it every time you change your oil just like normal motor oil for does it last longer?

Thanks everyone, sorry I'm a newb at this...never used synthetic oil before.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Vader007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change the filter wit the oil, if you dont have an extended performance filter like Mobile 1 or Amsoil with the synthetic media then you need to change your filter sooner. As far as the oil change intervals, my persomal opinion is to go 5 or 6000 mile and get it out. Some say its a waste but its my peace of mind and my money. Cheap insurance if you ask me.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Fluid1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you, I would use Castrol Synthetic, the German green blend. 0w. OEM Nissan filters are great. Change filter every oil change, 6k miles should be fine.
This info is out there.....
Old 05-02-2007, 10:35 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

If you do 6k oil changes , i recomend swapping the filter at 3k and adding the 1/4 quart of oil you lost with the filter change.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:42 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

I think this thread will interest you:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/253651-mobil-1-oil-users-motor-oil-discussion-thread.html
Old 05-02-2007, 10:45 PM
NissanZfan

later use.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:38 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Fluid1
If I were you, I would use Castrol Synthetic, the German green blend. 0w. OEM Nissan filters are great. Change filter every oil change, 6k miles should be fine.
This info is out there.....
OEM filters are far from great, they are fram style with carboard endcaps. there are much better filters out there. PureOne, Mobile, Wix, K&N...
Old 05-03-2007, 07:21 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Thanks for the help guys, right now I'm using the Mobile1 filter and with your info I'll change my oil/filter every 6k

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
I think this thread will interest you:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253651
Hm...interesting, thanks for the link bro. I'll take some time later to read the 11 pages and determine if I should change next time. I'll also need to find someone around here that sells the Amsoil or Royal Purple or Castrol german synthetic. What's your take on that?
Old 05-03-2007, 07:57 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

I use 5-30 royal purple full synthetic with a K&N oil filter. I do about 5k on both the filter and the oil. The filter holds up fine for 5k, but it is the most expensive one you can get. I've stabbed a screw driver into them to check out the insides. Good filter with out a doubt, 5k miles should work.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:59 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

I would recommend going to AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts and pick up Penzoil Platnum. It is better than Mobil 1 now. Since M1 change their formulation it hasn't been that good. PP has proved to make the engine quieter, last longer, etc. It's also cheaper. You can get it for $3 a quart right now on sale.

For more on oils please see bobistheoilguy forums

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

The best oils are Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1, Penzoil Platnum.

Stay away from Royal Purple. It has shown to not be very good in tests.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:26 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
Thanks for the help guys, right now I'm using the Mobile1 filter and with your info I'll change my oil/filter every 6k

Hm...interesting, thanks for the link bro. I'll take some time later to read the 11 pages and determine if I should change next time. I'll also need to find someone around here that sells the Amsoil or Royal Purple or Castrol german synthetic. What's your take on that?
GIJoes sells amsoil if you want to use that next time, its where I purchase mine, dont get the XL-7500 though, as its their lower quality synthetic made from group 3 base stocks rather than PAO's like the series 2000 and normal synthetic
Old 05-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Biochem7
Regular

GC castrol has been discontinued. I checked with Autozone a week ago, and they are not receiving anymore. I recently switched to Castrol syntec 5w30 with K&N filter. I will have oil analysis done after 5,000 miles. I have always used Castrol GTX with great results and expect no less from their synthetic. I can tell you that my engine idles and drives significantly more smoother now.

Last edited by Biochem7; 05-03-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:55 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by G35_TX
I would recommend going to AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts and pick up Penzoil Platnum. It is better than Mobil 1 now. Since M1 change their formulation it hasn't been that good. PP has proved to make the engine quieter, last longer, etc. It's also cheaper. You can get it for $3 a quart right now on sale.

For more on oils please see bobistheoilguy forums

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

The best oils are Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1, Penzoil Platnum.

Stay away from Royal Purple. It has shown to not be very good in tests.
FYI, penzoil platinum has now switched to group 3 basestocks and is no longer derived from PAO's like amsoil. from bobistheoilguy
Old 05-03-2007, 09:49 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Well from reading that topic it still looks like its a higher grade than Mobil 1. And some are still PAO based.

I have been on that forum for 5 years. I can tell you that PP is the best store bought oil currently. I use Amsoil myself though.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:35 AM
redlude97

Well from reading that topic it still looks like its a higher grade than Mobil 1. And some are still PAO based.

I have been on that forum for 5 years. I can tell you that PP is the best store bought oil currently. I use Amsoil myself though.
the 5w-20 appears to be the only one, and you are right that it appears to be better than mobil1, but alot of the hype it got was when it was a groupV based oil, that was all I was trying to convey. I use amsoil as well. Do you use the series 2000 0w-30 or the regular synthetic 5w-30? In the northwest we can purchase it OTC at GIJoes so other than the cost, its just as convenient
Old 05-03-2007, 10:59 AM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Biochem7
GC castrol has been discontinued. I checked with Autozone a week ago, and they are not receiving anymore. I recently switched to Castrol syntec 5w30 with K&N filter. I will oil analysis done after 5,000 miles. I have always used Castrol GTX with great results and expect no less from their synthetic. I can tell you that my engine idles and drives significantly more smoother now.
I've also been using the Castrol 5w30. Never a problem, but then I used it with my prior porsche and Nissan Pathfinder. Works good with everything.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:05 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by redlude97
the 5w-20 appears to be the only one, and you are right that it appears to be better than mobil1, but alot of the hype it got was when it was a groupV based oil, that was all I was trying to convey. I use amsoil as well. Do you use the series 2000 0w-30 or the regular synthetic 5w-30? In the northwest we can purchase it OTC at GIJoes so other than the cost, its just as convenient
I used 5w30 in my G35. I am currently using the XL-7500 5w20 in my TL at the moment.

I know Napa sells Amsoil as well. You might want to check into that.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:06 AM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Biochem7
GC castrol has been discontinued. I checked with Autozone a week ago, and they are not receiving anymore. I recently switched to Castrol syntec 5w30 with K&N filter. I will oil analysis done after 5,000 miles. I have always used Castrol GTX with great results and expect no less from their synthetic. I can tell you that my engine idles and drives significantly more smoother now.
I've also been using the Castrol 5w30. Never a problem, but then I used it with my prior porsche and Nissan Pathfinder. Works good with everything.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Resolute

There is a sticky in this forum for used oil analysis to help people decide what to use, but I don't hink anyone sees it. Oh well. The PP has shown to be very good in the VQ35. The sticky has an average result from three UOA's done on three diferent VQ's, and it's been great. I don't think the PP was ever a PAO based oil. Maybe the older Pennzoil Synthetic, but the PP is only a few years old, and has always been a G3+. PP has VERY low TBN numbers from the VQ and I would not in any way think of going an extended drain interval with it.
Mobil1 still makes PAO based oils. The 0W-40 and 0W-30 are both a PAO base stock oil, at least there's no way their NOACK and HTHS levels are from a Group 3 oil. The rest of the line-up has definately gone to a G3, except for maybe the 15W-50, there's copmpelling data to say it's also a PAO still. In any case M1 SuperSyn is just no where as awesome as the old TriSyn formulation.
GC seems to have gone the way of the dinosaur, and for the poster who said to use some Castrol Green, if you can actually find it then buy it all and sell it for a massive profit. The old green GC is top notch.
Amsoil is all PAO, and the 0W-30 has performed stellar in the VQ and would be an excellent oil for an extended drain interval.
Will
Old 05-03-2007, 02:50 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Resolute
There is a sticky in this forum for used oil analysis to help people decide what to use, but I don't hink anyone sees it. Oh well. The PP has shown to be very good in the VQ35. The sticky has an average result from three UOA's done on three diferent VQ's, and it's been great. I don't think the PP was ever a PAO based oil. Maybe the older Pennzoil Synthetic, but the PP is only a few years old, and has always been a G3+. PP has VERY low TBN numbers from the VQ and I would not in any way think of going an extended drain interval with it.
Mobil1 still makes PAO based oils. The 0W-40 and 0W-30 are both a PAO base stock oil, at least there's no way their NOACK and HTHS levels are from a Group 3 oil. The rest of the line-up has definately gone to a G3, except for maybe the 15W-50, there's copmpelling data to say it's also a PAO still. In any case M1 SuperSyn is just no where as awesome as the old TriSyn formulation.
GC seems to have gone the way of the dinosaur, and for the poster who said to use some Castrol Green, if you can actually find it then buy it all and sell it for a massive profit. The old green GC is top notch.
Amsoil is all PAO, and the 0W-30 has performed stellar in the VQ and would be an excellent oil for an extended drain interval.
Will
PP hasn't always been group 3, it was originally a group V made from esters, but switch ~10/05 to group 3, still one of the better synthetics for the price though. Amsoil is not all PAO, the XL-7500 line is group 3.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Questions - Changing to Synthetic