Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Ultimate NA Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 09:15 PM
BigBadBuford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The prices for aftermarket parts in the import community is insane, mostly because there are people that are stupid enough to pay the prices. I see so many people on here saying, "Oh, $1500 isn't a bad price for headers!" That is insane. I am sure if this header design was sent to a large manufacturer they would be able to mass produce this design at a much lower cost. You say you are losing money on every set of headers you sell, but there is no way in terms of just materials and shipping that you are losing money at $1500 a piece. Sure, you might not be making $75/hour labor on them, but you aren't "losing" money either.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:16 PM
Z350Maniac

Originally posted by Evil350z
Guys you bought a $30k car... you thought parts were going to be cheap like a $8k used Mustang? Get a grip.
exactly. Compare prices of headers to other cars and you'll find it's not so bad, sure they may be $2-400 more (and alot of people are going to throw their hands in the air and groan because of this, but not everyone will be happy) , but look at what they give you in return. MOST ALL headers that you're ALL comparing the prices to are NOT ceramic coated. That's $150 right there.

Are these headers CARB approved?
What are the numbers you get?
Warranty?
Flange quality?
Weld quality?

Has ANYONE thought to consider these options before getting upset over the price?

TOG headers for the car I owned before were $1200 and everyone under the sun bitched about it. But what they overlooked was the fact that these headers had CARB approval, LIFETIME warranty, 5/16" flanges (most are only 3/16" at best and corrode and rust easily), gained 19 hp at the wheels (FWD car), and had EXCELLENT workmanship.

Don't judge without knowing everything.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:38 AM
dougrace zs

The prices for aftermarket parts in the import community is insane, mostly because there are people that are stupid enough to pay the prices. I see so many people on here saying, "Oh, $1500 isn't a bad price for headers!" That is insane. I am sure if this header design was sent to a large manufacturer they would be able to mass produce this design at a much lower cost. You say you are losing money on every set of headers you sell, but there is no way in terms of just materials and shipping that you are losing money at $1500 a piece. Sure, you might not be making $75/hour labor on them, but you aren't "losing" money either.

Ok I guess we didn't make this clear. The tubing in these headers are made of compound bends, I have cheeked with quit a few manufactures and they can not bend curves in tubing that close together, so they have to be hand built and this process takes alot of time.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:17 AM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug - I think several people have missed... that even their dear NISMO threw their hands up in making an Equi-length header. As I'm sure they too though it would be too much trouble.

Not ONE COMPANY has been able to reproduce these. That says something.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:57 AM
FLY BY Z

Or maybe it failed the cost benefit analysis for people and companies who value their time and their dollar. I guess you guys are too drunk by Z love that common sensse has evaded you. I am by no means trying to stop you guys from doing something you are obviously so passionate about. You may have 10 orders. Great! How many Z's are sold each year? Maybe you just aren't that ambitious. I don't know. Don't care much anyways. Have a good thread...
Old 04-30-2003, 05:23 AM
PhoenixINX

I think whats killing me...

Do you even own a Z? The majority of your threads on here, not even related to headers have been negative.

You've typically be recognized as a non-contributing member.

Do explain yourself... because honestly you've wasted a fair amount of time devoting your close-minded perspectives.

Seriously dude... you have issues.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:30 AM
Traffic

Yet another thread gets hijacked by people whining about prices. Why am I not surprised? Thought this was about the ultimate naturally aspirated setup.

Here's what I want to know: why hasn't the subject of camshaft sets come up in this discussion? I know of a tuner right now with 260, 264 and 268 cams available for the VQ35DE. I'm seriously considering the 264s as we speak.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:11 AM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by Daytona
Yet another thread gets hijacked by people whining about prices. Why am I not surprised? Thought this was about the ultimate naturally aspirated setup.

Here's what I want to know: why hasn't the subject of camshaft sets come up in this discussion? I know of a tuner right now with 260, 264 and 268 cams available for the VQ35DE. I'm seriously considering the 264s as we speak.
Cams have been in discussion for the last several months... Don't worry Chris, we're looking into those also. Just note, raising the rev limit would be beneficial... thou in turn we'd need different springs, valves, retainers, etc...

In time my friend, In time!
Old 04-30-2003, 10:14 AM
Traffic

Cams have been in discussion for the last several months... Don't worry Chris, we're looking into those also. Just note, raising the rev limit would be beneficial... thou in turn we'd need different springs, valves, retainers, etc...

In time my friend, In time!
Ah see I would think raising fuel cut slightly to 7000 wouldn't require us to swap out springs and retainers, but I suppose if we went to 7500 or even 8000(!) we would need this stuff. Apparently the R-Tune prototype Nismo has made something like 335HP at 7500RPMs. https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&highlight=335

Last edited by Traffic; 04-30-2003 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:26 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Originally posted by Z350Maniac
"Haven't got the bones to ante up? Leave the table."

simple as that.

It's not whining, its a mature discussion of economics. Why do you find it necessary to turn it into a pissing contest? We're not discussing wether or not anyone can afford these. All I brought up was the fact that the first series of import parts always have a premium price attached to them, and the price drops accordingly when the demand dies down. You're more than welcome to blow your cash as you wish, thats your call -- but don't flame others for discussing something that seems to be way over your head.

"Can't stand the discussion? Don't read the thread."

Simple as that.

You're obviously the one with issues. Hit the little X in the top right corner and it might help your anxiety issues.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:40 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
Or maybe it failed the cost benefit analysis for people and companies who value their time and their dollar. I guess you guys are too drunk by Z love that common sensse has evaded you. I am by no means trying to stop you guys from doing something you are obviously so passionate about. You may have 10 orders. Great! How many Z's are sold each year? Maybe you just aren't that ambitious. I don't know. Don't care much anyways. Have a good thread...
Excellent points -- but unfortunately some won't understand what "cost benefit analysis" means and will respond to you with comments like "Do you even own a Z?" rather than adding an intelligent response

I don't understand how and why some find it necessary to turn a logical discussion into name calling and refer to it as "whining". It's a debate, where opinions are discussed. Thats what forums are for.

No one here whined about anything. I'm glad these products are available and people are out putting hard work into them. Just don't get yourself worked up if you paid top dollar for something others will be paying much less for in a year or less.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:00 AM
VandyZ

Do you debate the price of a Big Mac at McDonalds? No... you just buy it because you want it. Are they going to lower the price? Nope. They'll have LESS EXPENSIVE items for those too cheap to cough up the $1.99 for their BIG sandwich... but the BEST pieces, never fluctuate.
I disagree about the "BEST pieces, never fluctuate", the "Big & Tasty" went from $.99 to $1.19. I was pissed. Now if I want a $.99 burger I have to get the double cheese burger.

I bet these headers will be the same. My guess is they will go up in price after the first run. So those of you complaining over $1200, just wait till the price jumps.

You wanna go faster? Get out your checkbooks!
Old 04-30-2003, 11:03 AM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by zxsaint
Excellent points -- but unfortunately some won't understand what "cost benefit analysis" means and will respond to you with comments like "Do you even own a Z?" rather than adding an intelligent response
Dude, don't get started with me...

Cost analysis... geeeez... do you really not having ANYTHING better to do?

It's called DOING IT FOR THE COMMUNITY. We're sick of seeing companies build non-producing products for INFLATED prices. We're making performing products, at near the price its costs to produce... Believe it or not... there are companies that are trying to bring a product to the marketplace for the enthusiasts and not their own pocketbook.

Amazing theory eh?

End of discussion.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:05 AM
PhoenixINX

Default Re: R1 engine parts

Originally posted by VQracer
Sport KYATARAIZA (???)
You dads Z didn't have this?

Go under the third bolt from the left on the engines head, run your eyes 12 cm down... then 8 cm right. You should see the performance kyataraiza.... I want to upgrade to the sport baddd!
Old 04-30-2003, 12:05 PM
PhoenixINX

Default Re: Re: Re: R1 engine parts

What about this one?

EKIZOSUTOMANI hold (???)

Victor
That's under the battery case, upper left hand corner of the engine bay... it has a bright orange cap on it. WHATEVER YOU DO, don't open it and smell it.

Jill did it one day, called me telling me she was high!
Old 04-30-2003, 12:16 PM
3rdpower

Dude, don't get started with me...

Cost analysis... geeeez... do you really not having ANYTHING better to do?

It's called DOING IT FOR THE COMMUNITY. We're sick of seeing companies build non-producing products for INFLATED prices. We're making performing products, at near the price its costs to produce... Believe it or not... there are companies that are trying to bring a product to the marketplace for the enthusiasts and not their own pocketbook.

Amazing theory eh?

End of discussion.
Sorry... just had to comment dude...
You have money in your pocket to buy your car because you live in a capitalistic society and you have the freedom to pay for your goods. If you want to make products for free, shut up and do it. Otherwise, don't knock on the man trying to bring something to the market while making a dollar or two on demand. It's called free enterprise. If someone is stupid enough to buy an overpriced piece of junk then shame on them for parting with their money before they've done the research.

New evolution is people who spend their money friviously die poor and end up raising offspring who don't understand the need for cost analysis. They in turn buy product like their parents that don't yield a dime

Last edited by 3rdpower; 04-30-2003 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:14 PM
Z350Maniac

Originally posted by zxsaint
It's not whining, its a mature discussion of economics. Why do you find it necessary to turn it into a pissing contest? We're not discussing wether or not anyone can afford these. All I brought up was the fact that the first series of import parts always have a premium price attached to them, and the price drops accordingly when the demand dies down. You're more than welcome to blow your cash as you wish, thats your call -- but don't flame others for discussing something that seems to be way over your head.

"Can't stand the discussion? Don't read the thread."

Simple as that.

You're obviously the one with issues. Hit the little X in the top right corner and it might help your anxiety issues.
anyone know why he was SO pissed with my comment? I'm having trouble following his part of the discussion...

I'm not saying that it's an "affordation" issue (If you can't afford $1200 headers for a $30K+ car then you have really tight financial issues.) What I WAS saying was, if you don't like the price DON'T buy it, but don't go on a thread and COMPLAIN (if you're not whining/bitching/moaning/groaning/crying about it then you ARE complaining in the very least when you have a qualm with pricing.) about it. What good does it do? HONESTLY, I've been on MANY car tuning/modding/enthusiast forums and I can tell you this: those complaining people do more hurt than good. You think that by raising a stink about a price is going to lower it or cause other companies to lower their price? NOT a chance. I know of MANY companies who do their first phase of R&D on car forum boards now. They'll register, login and then look for a thread about a possible product they're thinking of producing. They see one like this where all people do is jump up and down and throw their hands in the air over price and they REALLY don't want to make the product after all of that ESPECIALLY one such as headers that require a SEVERE amount of investment in R&D.

So no, I was not saying that people can not afford these headers, so they "whine" (I don't believe I used that word in my thread, but you seem so adamant that I did. Oh well) I was saying that if you don't like the pricing, NO ONE is forcing you to shell out the clams to buy these. If YOU think YOU can do it better/cheaper, then by ALL means YOU go right ahead and do it. I'd even go so far as to say that if the gains and quality matched or beat those of these headers here and they cost less, I would buy them from you.

My cable company raised the bill on my internet service, almost 43% because the area is starting to develope and there's a larger demand. No one else is offering 1.5 mb cable internet, so guess what? I'm gonna PAY that extra 43% because I like/want my cable internet. I also want to make my car a slight bit faster and free up my exhaust some and get a nicer tone to it. So guess what? I'm gonna pay the 'extra' for these headers cause no one else makes them.

Last edited by Z350Maniac; 04-30-2003 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:03 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Z350Maniac, I apologize -- I did not intend my comments directly towards you, rather the collection of people who refered to us "whiners."

I'm not pissed at all and I don't have a complaint. I'm just tired of hearing people try to shut down a decent debate or discussion with comments like "either buy it or shut up"

I'm stating my personal opinion about wanting to wait for equally performing (or better) headers for better $/hp ratio. At about $2000 after shipping and installation costs, its not worth it for me -- but may be absolutely reasonable to someone else. Thats fine.

I'm not raising a stink in hopes to lower prices. I'm mearly offering a suggestion to those who are unsure to rather wait for the market to catch up. Its good advice.

Who knows, its quite possible that a few points made properly might convince me to purchase the product. Thats part of what a manufacturer should do. But I apparently stand corrected in this case, they're "doing it for the community". Absolutely no captalism here. 20+ hours of work for each set. Thats quite a lot of charity work. Thanks guys!
Old 04-30-2003, 04:05 PM
FLY BY Z

I have posted twice on this thread and this is my third. I ask anyone calling me (us) whiners to please quote one sentence that I have made that can even be construed as a complaint. I beg of you to show me where I have complained about the price of this product or where I said I wish the price would come down.

All of my comments have been tips or pointers on how to MAKE money instead of lose it, produce MORE headers at a less expensive price, thereby enabling an exponential increase in the amount of Z owners who would buy this product. Why is that bad?

Personally, I do not feel I need to justify myself, my financial situation, or my reasoning to someone like you, Evil. I will offer up this little tidbit, however. Even if these headers sold for 10 dollars a pair, I would not be in the market for them. I am in the market for forced induction and if I were to buy headers, yours or others, at any cost, I would have wasted my money which could have been used to truly help a community if not by a donation then by inserting some of my money into the economic system spurring growth and PROFITS used to help people live. Not into the arms of a financially/economically lost cause.

My complaint is not with your product but with your business model. It is a simple one to understand and therefore simple to correct. But of course, since you are willing to accept a loss on every unit, since that is the whole idea, your business model is sound and does not need REmodeling.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:13 PM
Traffic

Default Re: Re: R1 engine parts

Chris can you tell me what those mean in English? The Z isn't home right now.

Thanks,
Victor
Man, I have NO idea what you are talking about

By the way, the company making those cams is Tomei.

While we're at it, I know Esprit is offering a piston set which raises compression to 11.5:1, I believe. Don't believe this is Esprit's own; rather, I think it's made by some other company. Any idea what effect a new piston set would have?

Quick Reply: Ultimate NA Kit