Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Custom Twin Turbo Group Buy. I am NOT the VENDOR...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 12:40 PM
supra crazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

17Gs!!!! you could get a supra or skylines engin and install it for less
Old 05-01-2003, 01:36 PM
blascelles

Innovative the race division of Garrett??? That doesn't sound right. Innovative is very small. I had them do my turbo honda with great results and much of the pro import class is running their turbo's but that's a far stretch.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:08 PM
Importlife.com

Maybe i was fed misinformation. As far as the car goes, I entrust good people to pick the parts. I am no mechanic by any means so I can't speak for the entire setup. If you have specific questions call Acosta Racing and ask for Marcos Acosta.

Originally posted by blascelles
Innovative the race division of Garrett??? That doesn't sound right. Innovative is very small. I had them do my turbo honda with great results and much of the pro import class is running their turbo's but that's a far stretch.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:30 PM
Importlife.com

There's no doubt the skyline motor is rock solid for 1000+hp. But little is known about the VQ engine in the 350Z. I know it is a variant of all the other VQs, but the Z engine is made to have great potential.

When the rep at IAS told us that the air flow is setup better than a ferrari modena and that with mods to the block that the engine can produce 2000, i was very happy to have this car.

Also the reps at Ferrari, when i met them at the NY Auto show, all own a 350Z as a daily driver.

The Z has only been in the U.S for 6 months and i think a lot of people are writing it off as bad for turbo. Maybe because it came NA people isntantly assume this. Maybe because people have money to spend now on a turbo and cant wait say the rb engine is better or why not a supra.

Time will tell, but my gut tells me this engine is a winner and a beast in disguise.

Originally posted by supra crazy
17Gs!!!! you could get a supra or skylines engin and install it for less
Old 05-01-2003, 02:36 PM
Importlife.com

And to give some validity to the rep who stated the info on the 2000 hp potential and better airflow than a Modena, he was from Advanced Engine Breathing Systems (AEBS). Makers of internal components for engine, such as sleeves, intake manifolds, and pistons.

www.aebsracing.com
Old 05-01-2003, 03:31 PM
supra crazy

Originally posted by VQracer
Now why would you want an RB over a VQ? Just because it's from a Skyline doesn't mean anything.
veilside uses a r32 drag car that pushes out over 100hp with stock internals . I sure dont see much Vq35 puchin over 1000hp with stock internals
Old 05-01-2003, 04:00 PM
Importlife.com

Originally posted by supra crazy
veilside uses a r32 drag car that pushes out over 100hp with stock internals . I sure dont see much Vq35 puchin over 1000hp with stock internals
um, thats because no one has tried. Until now, the VQ has only been in non Sports cars. ie. pathfinder, max, etc. eventhough those cars were sporty in their class, they didnt awe anyone to even try to get 1000hp out of it. What aftermarket company would support a 1000+hp maxima or altima?

But now that the engine is in the hands of the 350Z, i think the support for it is second to none. if you go to any car show there are quite a few 350Zs on display. Every tuning company already has their own Z or has one on order.

And sure the stock internals may in fact be a lot better on a skyline. But check out the msrp for a Z. you can get one for $30k. I don't think you can get a new r34 for $30. lets compare apples to apples here. if you offer me a new r34 skyline and a new 350z for the same $30k I would get a skyline.

Stock internals is not the only thing that makes a great engine. Neither are factory turbos.

If you doubt the potential of the VQ, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I started this thread to lower the cost of a custom fabricated twin turbo that will exceed the performance and tunability of any stock twin turbo 350z that may or may not even come out.

If you want turbo and see parts on my list you think you will need for your own setup, let Acosta racing know. your cost will go lower, as will mine.

Last edited by Importlife.com; 05-01-2003 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:06 PM
350Now

Originally posted by Importlife.com
And to give some validity to the rep who stated the info on the 2000 hp potential and better airflow than a Modena, he was from Advanced Engine Breathing Systems (AEBS). Makers of internal components for engine, such as sleeves, intake manifolds, and pistons.

www.aebsracing.com
Do you know who at AEBS mentioned this?
Old 05-01-2003, 04:17 PM
Importlife.com

I do not know the person's name. I was not the one at IAS. But why dont you call them and ask who was attending to their booth at IAS. Ask them about the airflow vs ferrari and potential for tuning.

good luck. I can understand everyone's skepticism.

So no one needs any parts from my list? Do you honestly think all those parts will come in a box from a brand name company with do it yourself instructions? And an "add item" on an ecommerce shopping cart for a twin turbo in a box for the 350Z?

If so i suggest you remove your turbo envy immediately and start an all motor project. turning a NA car into turbo is going to cost you A LOT more than $5,000. The turbos alone are at least $2000. if you had those crazy glued on, you are looking at $3000 with labor. then you scotch tape a front mount intercooler with labor for $3000. there's your $6000 twin turbo Z.

Originally posted by 350Now
Do you know who at AEBS mentioned this?
Old 05-01-2003, 04:38 PM
franklinz

i wont go as far as saying the vq is total crap, but i will say that nissan has a NOTORIOUS problem with thinking that we americans like our engines non-turbo, and lots of torque (the latter is true) thats why they were so nice to give us a truck engine in our 240sx's instead of the sr20det. (emissions are another matter, but not much) i just wish they would wake up and realize that we would like the same cars that are offered to them, as well as over-seas customers. if anything we should be getting the "best setup"
franklinz
Old 05-01-2003, 04:50 PM
Importlife.com

Originally posted by franklinz
i wont go as far as saying the vq is total crap, but i will say that nissan has a NOTORIOUS problem with thinking that we americans like our engines non-turbo,
Japan has the same setup as us for the 350Z. Imagine what they are thinking!!!

trust me, the VQ will conquer all. until maybe the next supra or skyline.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:04 PM
arpus809

importlife. hi i seen you car at the NY car show it is hot. I know Marcus he is a good guy tell him jose the guy with the silver supra that goes to KAZTECK said hi. the only thing i have to say is that the same thing was been said about the supra.i know it came turbo from factory but look at HONDAS.7 years ago when i started to mod my supra people were building their motors to make 500RWHP. to make a long story short i ended up making 809RWHP with a STOCK BLOCK.ARA from BULLISH is making 1440RWHP believe it or not he is using a stock block. have faith in your VQ...
Old 05-01-2003, 06:19 PM
zuffy

i'm interested, i'm doing a custom turbo setup here in Australia with the local race shop.

I'm not sure what parts we would need yet though as we have lots of locally made items here that will fit the bill just fine.

Pipes, intercooler, manifold and turbos are all cheaper here and cost almost half the price you quoted installed.

Some of the real custom gear it what i want.

Are you planning to use T-sleves to handle the compression? I think the engine rebuild plus single turbo is the cheapest way to go.

imho
Old 05-01-2003, 07:58 PM
msink

And with some work on the crankshaft, 1mm wider equates to 4.5 liters! This engine is a monster.
Ummm... an extra 1mm "wider crankshaft?" does not equal a 30% increase in displacement.

an overbore of 1mm = 3572cc, barely 3.6 liters

a 1mm stroke increase = 3541cc, still 3.5 liters

Mark
Old 05-02-2003, 09:29 AM
Importlife.com

Before this goes any futher, I want to let you guys know that the cost for this project without a successfull group buy is out of my reach.

It seems most are going to stick it out and see what happens with other people's projects. I am fortunate to have this Z as a daily driver and company car. After some real hard thought and some advice from several sponsors, I am going to keep the car NA and spray nitrous.

I have full faith in my sponsors to help me build an 11 second NA car that I can drive everyday and is not a maintenance nightmare.

A turbo project on a NA car is very costly and can bring lots of unexpected servicing.

I drove my car really hard today. I hit 140mph on the northern state pkwy thru some turns and wow, this car is really phenomenal. I can live with the car in its current form. And the 100 shot of nitrous is a turbo on tap!

Until i see some more concrete applications on the street i wont investigate turbo. I may not go turbo altogether.

For those who want to go turbo I recommend Acosta Racing highly. They have several supras and rx7 beasts in their stable. My choice to stay NA for now is based on the love of the car. I cant imagine a life with a Z that has many unforseen problems and reliability issues.

My turbo envy may have to wait for the R35 GTR.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:00 AM
inG35coupe

WOW, 1000hp from the VQ, highly doubt it, much less 2000hp. I'll believe this engine can have 2000hp when I see it. I have faith in the VQ no doubt, but 1000? The Supra fully modded can barely get over 1000hp and the Skyline. I hope to get at least 500hp to 700hp hopefully. What is up with these companies? If I worked there (at HKS, Greddy, or Top Secret) I would have TT, T, and supercharger setups within the first months of the car's release, and have it fully tuned to at least be able to reach 400hp on stock internals and trannys. Come on HKS, Greddy, Power Enterprise, and Top Secret ETC. where are you?
Old 05-02-2003, 10:06 AM
Importlife.com

There problem is demand and the cost to mass produce. lets say there's 15,000 350Z in the country. then 1% says yes to turbo and actually has the money! thats 150 cars for turbo. Then you add 4 vendors selling kits. Thats like 40 cars per vendor to share.

Why bother when you can pump out turbos for the civics or the thousands of wrx owners and make money now. I am not saying they are not coming out. It will be a lil longer than you expect.

and as stated before. Turbo for the 350Z will not cost a total of $5000. NO WAY. two turbos from garrett are $2500. A intercooler is $1500-2000. You will need new fuel rail cuz ours is weak. Then you add labor. You are already well over $5000. And you havent even added the 3" downpipe and exhaust. Or racing clutch. or ecu management.

Originally posted by inG35coupe
WOW, 1000hp from the VQ, highly doubt it, much less 2000hp. I'll believe this engine can have 2000hp when I see it. I have faith in the VQ no doubt, but 1000? The Supra fully modded can barely get over 1000hp and the Skyline. I hope to get at least 500hp to 700hp hopefully. What is up with these companies? If I worked there (at HKS, Greddy, or Top Secret) I would have TT, T, and supercharger setups within the first months of the car's release, and have it fully tuned to at least be able to reach 400hp on stock internals and trannys. Come on HKS, Greddy, Power Enterprise, and Top Secret ETC. where are you?
Old 05-02-2003, 10:12 AM
350Now

I do not know the person's name. I was not the one at IAS. But why dont you call them and ask who was attending to their booth at IAS. Ask them about the airflow vs ferrari and potential for tuning.

good luck. I can understand everyone's skepticism.

I'm not questioning the person.. I was just wondering who, because AEBS do really good work and knows what they are talking about. I know the people at AEBS pretty well.

I, like many enthusiast hope our VQ can take the punishment of FI. I want to see 500 - 700 rwhp power too, but at the same time want to give reputable companies time to do their R&D. Once there is proven reliability and stability I'm ready to jump right in.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Importlife.com

read my post above. FI for my car is postponed indefinately.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:36 PM
Importlife.com

Ok guys, the turbo project is now on again. We are planning on a multi staged kit for my car due to my budget constraints. 1st stage is looking at 500-600 to the wheels on stock internals.

Rather than going back and forth on this on a public forum i will repost when actual work begins.

I am out.