Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Custom Twin Turbo Group Buy. I am NOT the VENDOR...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 07:55 PM
Importlife.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Twin Turbo Group Buy. I am NOT the VENDOR...

Below are the parts I will be using for my twin turbo setup. The more people who want to participate in this turbo project, the cheaper this will be for everyone.

Acosta Racing: This is a family owned shop in Wallington, NJ. They have extensive experience in building NHRA drag cars.
Their new shop has 1 lift and an awd dyno on the way.

Most of my current sponsors out in Cali know of or has worked with the Acosta family in building race cars. Companies such as Toyo, Holley/NOS, JE Pistons, Sparco, and Garrett. I wouldn't take my car to anyone.

The below list is the full cost for 1 application of a custom turbo 350Z. As more of you sign up, the total cost per part will go down.

Their goal for my car is 800-1000whp to the wheels. You can also opt to go with less boost and leave out some of the gadgets. Please contact Marcos Acosta and ask what parts are absolutely necessary for your own turbo goals and see where you may be able to save on your own turbo kit.

Here is my laundry list:
1. Billet Pistons - Low compression/Custom order (6) $1000
2. Billet Rods Custom order (6) $1000
3. Ceramic Ball Bearing Turbos (2) $2300
4. Front Mount Intercooler kit $1850
5. Turbo Manifolds (2) $1600
6. Fuel Rails (2) $400
7. Extra Fuel pump $270
8. RC Injectors 72CC (6) $750
9. Steel braided fuel lines w/fittings $400
10. Steel braided oil lines w/fittings $100
11. Billet intake manifold $1800
12. Downpipe Stainless Steel (2) $700
13. Fuel Regulator $270
14. Downpipe back 3" Stainless Steel with HKS exhst $1500
15. Downpipe back 3" Stainless Steel with GHL exhst $1400
16. Wastegate (2) $550
17. ECU Fuel Management $1850

Total Retail = $17,740

We are using top name brands. Innovative Turbo is the racing division of Garrett, JE for piston work, etc. The manifold, downpipe and some other parts have to be custom made.

If you have questions please contact Acosta Racing at (973) 365-1190 and ask for Marcos Acosta Jr. and mention the 350Z turbo group buy.

Last edited by Importlife.com; 04-30-2003 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:06 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks awesome, wish I had that kind of dough, but isnt there concern of the block holding up to that much power? new sleeves maybe? how about valves, springs, ect. theyll be ok?

be sure to let us know how it goes, 800hp does sound like fun.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:08 PM
BomexZ

17gs damn!!!! how far is this place from queens blvd?
Old 04-30-2003, 08:11 PM
Importlife.com

I myself will probably use sleeves and springs. Like i said, I am going ALL Out! Customers who want a reliable 500 to the wheels can save a lot of money.

And as far as the VQ engine, i found out that there was a disassembled VQ 350Z engine at Sema IAS this past week. the rep mentioned that the air flow on our engine is setup a lot better than a Ferrari 3.6 V8! And with some work on the crankshaft, 1mm wider equates to 4.5 liters! This engine is a monster.

I asked where he would compare this engine next to a supra or skyline. The cheif mechanic said he would take this engine over both! The rep at IAS, not Acosta, mentioned that by making it 4.5 liter and some block work, this engine can produce 2000hp.

I will believe it when i see it, and this is all theory until tracked and dynoed.

Last edited by Importlife.com; 04-30-2003 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:16 PM
Importlife.com

It takes me about 20-30 min without traffic. GW, 80W, 17South, Hoboken Road, make a right on locust ave. Done.

As far as 17Gs, thats the cost to make a NA car into a turbo and have daily drivability and reliability. If we had a factory turbo we could probably spend $6k and be done with it.

This is why most "In the box" kits are not truly complete. I guarantee you will have to buy a lot of parts that are not included with a bolt on kit from one of the brands always talked about here on the forum. So I didnt see any advantage of getting a name branded kit when they are doing the same thing I am, making a custom setup and labeling it the "Whatever 350Z kit"

Originally posted by BomexZ
17gs damn!!!! how far is this place from queens blvd?
Old 04-30-2003, 08:23 PM
TheOne

i just wanna say congrats and good luck. OMG youre car is going to be serious...whats the timeframe for this project? Assuming there will be a group buy, how much will is possibly deduct from the 17gs?
Old 04-30-2003, 08:31 PM
Importlife.com

Please do not quote me on this...but a group buy of like 10 cars can reduce the total cost to probably $13-15k. All of this is not including labor. Let's not forget that. But Acosta Racing is the shop and they have the pricing info and final say. Just call them and ask.

Timeframe is to be tested and tuned in time for Sema Las Vegas, in November. If I didn't have commitments to be at shows this project would be done in 6-8 weeks. but I have to break it up into stages to accomodate my car show/video production schedule.

I figured if i am going turbo I would help others know of what i am doing as well as try to save money myself by getting more owners who need parts similar to me.

I could care less about being the 1st turbo. I want all of us to have kick *** Z cars.

Originally posted by TheOne
i just wanna say congrats and good luck. OMG youre car is going to be serious...whats the timeframe for this project? Assuming there will be a group buy, how much will is possibly deduct from the 17gs?
Old 04-30-2003, 08:50 PM
franklinz

3)what type of turbos?? seems a bit high!
4) you can get a custom made intercooler for about 800 bucks less, maybe more. i got a custom job for 600 bucks.
12) holy jeesus, they must be out of their minds!! i got a custom downpipe on my 240z for about 100 bucks! (3")
17)what type of engine managment?? im using sds that was about 600 dollars cheaper and it does its job perfectly.
everything else seems about right, also i would like to see this billet intake manifold!

also they're forgetting the boost controller,piping for the intake portion of the turbos, bov, hose clamps/silicon connectors (good ones are about 300 bucks total) maybe a clutch that can hold the power also.
franklinz
Old 04-30-2003, 09:27 PM
slay2k

Default Holy ****..

Hey Import! A few things..

1. My friends saw you at Englishtown the other day.. I'm in North Jersey myself, and about 15 minutes away from Wallington (Acosta's). Nice ride =)

2. 800-1000hp is ridiculously sick. I wish you tremendous luck with everything, since you'll be proving our engine's power, and hopefully showing everyone what our car is capable of.

However I must ask, how in the WORLD do you plan on putting even 50% of this power down to the ground via 2 wheels ? The concept of diminishing returns seems to enter my mind here, where you can throw more & more HP into a car but only get a tiny bit better results, due to traction limits, even with the FINEST tires.

3. What about people who want only a moderate amount of boost... say - 400 to 500RWHP, what would you estimate the costs to be for something of that nature ? How about WITH INSTALL ?

-----------------------------------

Once again, good luck with everything!! Can't wait to see you around after the Turbo's done

-slay
Old 04-30-2003, 11:46 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm speechless.

I'm not personally a big fan of turbo's, but I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Impressive, most impressive.

-D'oh!
Old 05-01-2003, 12:28 AM
MySunset350Z

cant wait to see how it turns out

but i'd rather buy a winter car for 17 g's
Old 05-01-2003, 04:26 AM
TampaBayNSX-R

I'm thinking along the same lines as the earlier post...How much do you think it would cost to have a daily driven 400-500rwhp setup installed? I think most people fall into that category. 800hp is an awesome thought but then you have to worry about breaking wheel studs, axles, clutches, etc... A true 400rwhp Z would be alot of fun to drive, truly streetable and damn fast next to most other cars on the road!
Old 05-01-2003, 04:51 AM
John

Why do you have two exhausts listed? And why two turbos? (Having one will generate more boost)

You forgot one of the most expensive aspects to turboing a car is [drumroll please] tuning. Everyone thinks they can slap on a turbo and get more power... sure you can get more power, but it won't be reliable...
Old 05-01-2003, 05:13 AM
Need350z

What no modification on transmission?I don't think the stock trans can handle that power.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:08 AM
mytalon

Good luck. Can't wait to see the results
Old 05-01-2003, 06:10 AM
droideka

Exclamation

Good luck to you. I only have one thing to add.

Before any of you go out and give your Z this much power, please consider a high-performance driving event if you haven't already done one so that you can learn to handle a stock Z before getting yourself in a world of ****. Believe me, you know NOTHING about driving your car until you hit the track in it. Way too many people are spinning stock Zs, and I see a catastrophe on the horizon for someone who can't put that kind of power down in a controlled manner.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:21 AM
John

What no modification on transmission?I don't think the stock trans can handle that power.
Not to mention the other driveline parts.

Before any of you go out and give your Z this much power, please consider a high-performance driving event if you haven't already done one so that you can learn to handle a stock Z before getting yourself in a world of ****. Believe me, you know NOTHING about driving your car until you hit the track in it. Way too many people are spinning stock Zs, and I see a catastrophe on the horizon for someone who can't put that kind of power down in a controlled manner.
Why bother with 800rwhp? Considering I already know what the powercurve is going to look like, once the boost kicks in, that rear end is not going to want to stay planted. Allow me to introduce Exhibit A from Summit Point on 3/1. I worked this corner, and the guy was already crawling through the turns, yet when he started to accelerate out of T3, that rear end came right around and oila! Supra jumps the snowbank. Not to mention, but this car even had the boost turned down to around 450rwhp from 650rwhp...

Old 05-01-2003, 07:36 AM
sands

Originally posted by Importlife.com
And as far as the VQ engine, i found out that there was a disassembled VQ 350Z engine at Sema IAS this past week. the rep mentioned that the air flow on our engine is setup a lot better than a Ferrari 3.6 V8! And with some work on the crankshaft, 1mm wider equates to 4.5 liters! This engine is a monster.

I asked where he would compare this engine next to a supra or skyline. The cheif mechanic said he would take this engine over both! The rep at IAS, not Acosta, mentioned that by making it 4.5 liter and some block work, this engine can produce 2000hp.

I will believe it when i see it, and this is all theory until tracked and dynoed.
Who was he a rep for? Is there any additional information you can elaborate on?
Old 05-01-2003, 07:57 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Matt-

stock cam rods will stretch past 7500 rpm, and will not sustain greater hp than ~450..

if you're aiming for 800+ rwhp.. i'd suggest a complete rebuild of the VQ... mostlikely with alot of parts titanium, and definately lower compression pieces..

$13k is still alot of a custom twin turbo kit.....

good luck! i cant wait to see the results..

--Cheston
Old 05-01-2003, 09:01 AM
slay2k

Yeah the prices are pretty insane... but some people can afford them, so we'll have to just watch and see.

I got a body shop connection thru a friend of mine... the guy is discussing using the Garett turbo's in the same manner as the Greddy, for alot less than the $7k Greddy is rumored to release at.

Notice I said alot LESS. And the guy has plenty of turbo experience on monster cars.

-slay