Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

have an auto =( need a manual...what do i do

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 02:31 PM
GlacierJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Hraesvelg
I've got an Enthusiast auto, my dad recommended it because of resale value and also a stick isn't fun to drive in traffic. A stick is very fun to drive I admit, but the majority of my driving is to and from work and there is some traffic to deal with. Plus I change CD's often, smoke...etc so with an auto there is one less thing to deal with.
SMOKE?!! Aren't ur z giving u enough "excitement" that u have to smoke in ur car...?? joke
Old 05-07-2003, 02:58 PM
300ZX

smoking in a car is beyond terrible. my mom smoked in her car, and after a while, the cloth area of the roof above the window was just covered with black, and it looked really disgusting as well as smelling bad in the car. i would never ever smoke in my car (but i dont smoke anyway). if someone smokes in my car i will promptly ask them to put it out or offer them to walk. smoking in your car will do more damage to "the resale value" than a manual would....
Old 05-07-2003, 05:24 PM
zuffy

IMHO

Keep the auto and spend the money you would have lost in a trade in to mod up your car with NOS and a supercharger.

That way you'll see why the auto transmission rox down the 1/4 mile.

Old 05-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by 300ZX
smoking in a car is beyond terrible. my mom smoked in her car, and after a while, the cloth area of the roof above the window was just covered with black, and it looked really disgusting as well as smelling bad in the car. i would never ever smoke in my car (but i dont smoke anyway). if someone smokes in my car i will promptly ask them to put it out or offer them to walk. smoking in your car will do more damage to "the resale value" than a manual would....
I don't smoke a carton of Malboro Reds a day like your momma does, so I think my roof will be tar free for the next 10 years.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:32 PM
turtlemaster

i love my 5AT Touring. even though i wanted a 6MT, parents wouldnt let me. One of my friends has a 6MT G35 and he has never beaten me in a race. Also, another kid at my school was talking crap about my auto 350Z, so we raced and i burned the crap out of his base 350Z.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:47 AM
Z8M

Default Re: Man Tranny

Originally posted by jcr847
I am also an 18 year old who recently got a new Z. Greatest thing ever in my opinion. I feel your pain man, the manual is sick. I had no idea how to drive the car when i first got it but after like 2 hours i was fine. To the rest of the posts here about parents buying their kids automatics; someone needs to tell those kids to stop being such vaginas and tell their parents what's up. No self respecting individual buys an automatic sports car. It's as simple as that.
Your parents must be a bunch of vaginas for letting you have whatever you want. If my kid has the ***** to whine after me buying him a Z, well he will be driving a stick alright, in a Honda.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:12 PM
scubasteve

my first car was a toyota pickup with a 4 speed stick. I beat the ish out of it and even sunk it twice loading my jet-ski in the lake. I worked for 2 summers to buy that truck for 2500 and I loved it. You have the rest of your life to worry about nice cars.....you children finish puberty and then talk with the rest of us
Old 11-14-2004, 02:48 PM
G35sDriver

WELL have you thought about an auto with manual valve bodies (or whatever they call those manualy shifted drag autos - read: NOT tiptronic).

Originally posted by Z8M
Your parents must be a bunch of vaginas for letting you have whatever you want. If my kid has the ***** to whine after me buying him a Z, well he will be driving a stick alright, in a Honda.
Doesn't really sound like hes whining... Just because his parents can afford to purchase their son a nice car doesnt make them 'vaginas', nor make him ungrateful. Hes just asking a question...

Last edited by G35sDriver; 11-14-2004 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:44 PM
axxizzer

murder/suicide

but seriously man
just trade it in, its way too much money otherwise
Old 11-14-2004, 06:57 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

After teaching high school for 23 years, I have watched thousands of kids get cars by buying it themselves and by parents purchasing it for them.

Overwhelmingly, those that got a car purchased for them do not have as much respect for the car and tend to tear them up more. In addition, they tend to not have as deep an understanding of the concept of hard work leads to future success.

I am sure those in this age group will most likely feel I am incorrect or at least in their situation.

For those of you feeling this way, just remember, you have 1-3 years experience in observing this situation and mainly among your circle of friends. I have taught over 5,000 students and in that time, what I have stated is basically true.

The most common exception would be the type of student that is studying over 4 hours a day and involved in extra curricular activities thus does have a hard work ethic and cannot work due to a limited amount of hours per day. This group would represent maybe 1-3% of the student body and to be blunt, a majority of them are much more focused and educational and career goals to occupy their time with a 350Z.

In the specific situation with the desire to get an stick shift, I would strongly suggest you drive the car as is, enjoy knowing that you have a nicer car to drive them most people that have worked over 20 years, and finish your education beyond high school. In 5 years, your Z or any other car will simply be a used piece of machinery but your education will enhance your life and future families’ life significantly. You will appreciate your next car purchase more and have the resources to get exactly what you want and have earned through your own efforts.

Last edited by zland; 11-14-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:03 PM
350fanatic

Very well said!!

there are a lot of people (kids) that dont know what hard work means and dont know the value of money...
Old 11-14-2004, 08:05 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I might have sounded like I was lecturing too much but bottom line, living for over 20 yrs more and having so much experience with that age group gives me an unique perspective.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:36 PM
maserom

throw it in manual mode. It still is quite fun, dont be afraid to drive it like a manual.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:47 PM
ExtaZ33

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm 18, and the Z is the most wonderful thing my mom ever bought for me. I treat it 200x better than my own mother treats her car. The Z is a HORRIBLE idea for a first car, but some people (like me) actually do have responsibility when they are 18. I cannot vouch for most people my age however.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:49 AM
MrGoingdown305

I'm 17 and my parents bought me by Z...BUT i do know what hard work is. This past summer i worked with my uncle installing carpet. Working 10 hours a day getting paid 5 bux an hour. For 2 months i was hauling heavy *** roles on my shoulder and sweating like a mother under the Miami sun cutting the carpet in the middle of the street. Not a fun job and i did learn the true value of a dollar.

Back on topic...
Originally posted by turtlemaster
i love my 5AT Touring. even though i wanted a 6MT, parents wouldnt let me. One of my friends has a 6MT G35 and he has never beaten me in a race. Also, another kid at my school was talking crap about my auto 350Z, so we raced and i burned the crap out of his base 350Z.
keep the auto since your spanking Manual Zs and Gs in it. Why would u want a slow 6sp???

Last edited by MrGoingdown305; 11-15-2004 at 07:51 AM.