Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Built VQ or RB26

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:32 AM
skeet96707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyloose
Free?!@ That's not fair :flameon:
My brother is a very successful engineer and he makes a **** load of money. He bought me my 2003 350Z for my graduation present back in 02.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:47 AM
widebody350

Originally Posted by skeet96707
Everyones input is really great guys thanks.

Now I only have a couple of weeks to decide to do the swap or my brother is going to sale the RB setup to someone else.

To let everyone know its a fully built RB26 swap vs building the VQ
Did you completely ignore my last post?
Fully built, as in the RB has a built block and upgraded turbos?
What tranny are you going to use and what EMS are you going to use?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:56 AM
skeet96707

Originally Posted by widebody350
Did you completely ignore my last post?
Fully built, as in the RB has a built block and upgraded turbos?
What tranny are you going to use and what EMS are you going to use?
The RB is coming from my brothers 96 240SX. He bought it from a company that builds 240's with optional RB plants. It does have a jun stroker kit 2.7L. I'm sorry thats all i know. I usually give my brother my car and he and his buddies wrench on it for a weekend and i end up taking them partying to repay him. I dont do **** cuz he doesn't trust me.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:58 AM
skeet96707

I know your trying to help widebody, but i dont know anything thats why i started this thread. Thanks though.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:58 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ How come I don't have a brother like that? My brother drives an auto Altima and play WoW 24/7 when he's not at work.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:01 PM
widebody350

Well g/l to you, but like I said it's about 12Gs if you have the motor(which you do). So if your brother wants to fork over that much money than horray for you b/c you'll have a unique Z, that revs high and probably makes some pretty good power, but if anything goes wrong, no Z for you for a while. My advice is that you should take advantage of your opportunity and get a beater car while you're at it b/c you will surely need one.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:02 PM
skeet96707

Originally Posted by bb1314
^ How come I don't have a brother like that? My brother drives an auto Altima and play WoW 24/7 when he's not at work.
My best friend has the same problem, but he drives an sc300. I wish they had an expansion package for Wow that would cause him to have seizures so he stops playing that crap.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:04 PM
skeet96707

Well g/l to you, but like I said it's about 12Gs if you have the motor(which you do). So if your brother wants to fork over that much money than horray for you b/c you'll have a unique Z, that revs high and probably makes some pretty good power, but if anything goes wrong, no Z for you for a while. My advice is that you should take advantage of your opportunity and get a beater car while you're at it b/c you will surely need one.
Thanks. I have a work truck i can drive. I'm probably going to regret doing this but what the hell. thanks again.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:34 PM
sk26dett

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rb26! dare to be different
Old 06-19-2007, 12:44 PM
jimmyloose

I'll get the weight on the motor pretty soon... buaahhahahaha!@#
Old 06-19-2007, 12:49 PM
jimmyloose

and yes, part of the rb26 confusion here is the weight of the front differential. If you take it off, it takes quite a bit of the weight off. It's an integral part of the motor though, so the only way to get rid of it is to buy an RB25 oilpan.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmyloose
and yes, part of the rb26 confusion here is the weight of the front differential. If you take it off, it takes quite a bit of the weight off. It's an integral part of the motor though, so the only way to get rid of it is to buy an RB25 oilpan.
\

+1 the front drive shaft is integrated with the front oil pan, i don't know th exact weight but that ***** is heavy...
Old 06-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Zexy

Good luck with the project if you happen to take the route.

Dude get off his d#ck seriously. If he wants to do it don't get him to sway away!
Old 06-19-2007, 10:37 PM
jimmyloose

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
\

+1 the front drive shaft is integrated with the front oil pan, i don't know th exact weight but that ***** is heavy...
Too bad I have to keep that **** on. :-/
Old 06-20-2007, 05:21 AM
002-M-P

ahhh joy...more pointless arguing over this

only time will tell...

Old 06-20-2007, 06:53 AM
widebody350

Originally Posted by Zexy
Good luck with the project if you happen to take the route.

Dude get off his d#ck seriously. If he wants to do it don't get him to sway away!
Get off his d*ck? That would imply that I was all about him getting this swap and saying that he's the coolest person ever for doing it so on and so forth. As it is, I think it's just another guy/kid who just got a Z or is just starting to mod and is dreaming big. I'm also trying to give him the right info, so that he doesn't get halfway done and run out of money, and have no VQ b/c he sold it or w/e.
Oh and you just want him to do it so that you can learn from what he does wrong lol...Are you still doing the RB swap?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:42 AM
002-M-P

Honestly, I never understood the hostility on here. Zexy is a cool guy, talked with him alot, sharing RB knowledge. I also talked to Widebody350 alot in the beginning of this project because at the time he was looking into doing it as well, he's a cool guy too. So, lets just not getting into a pissing match like I know so many people do on this forum.

Back on topic though, I honestly think that until someone finishes their project, has it in the car running, weighs the car (total and f:r balance...before and after), and tells personal experiences...all this talk is pure speculation.

My motor is at my house and will be fully built up this weekend. I'm taking the VQ out this weekend (so whoever wants to buy alot of stock parts, let me know) and will probably test fit it to see what kind of modifications need to be done to the crossmember and how I need to make my mounts. Next week I will be doing the modifications and making motor/tranny mounts, measuring for a driveshaft, and ordering intercooler/exhaust piping. If I have any time after that I will start on the wiring.

The main advice I have regarding this thread is....you will think you have done all the research you need to do and bought all the parts you need...but I assure you...you have not. I also recommend, to do it right, tear the motor down completely and inspect it. If you are looking for 450+ hp and have a 100% reliable motor...start buying alot of parts. If you are looking for 550-600+ hp...start buying even more parts. If you want to rev past 8000rpm...start buying even more parts. Trust me..it never ends.

Last edited by 002-M-P; 06-20-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:50 AM
r_seng

built VQ and have a Z monster, or RB and have a front heavy hybrid.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:02 PM
venommaxr33

i say build the VQ, but you've made your decision. if your gonna make it a show car, than maybe but all you'll get out of it is a few more points at the show. the VQ has been rated the best V6 engine for about the last 10 years...think long and hard!!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:19 PM
widebody350

Originally Posted by 002-M-P
Honestly, I never understood the hostility on here. Zexy is a cool guy, talked with him alot, sharing RB knowledge. I also talked to Widebody350 alot in the beginning of this project because at the time he was looking into doing it as well, he's a cool guy too. So, lets just not getting into a pissing match like I know so many people do on this forum.

Back on topic though, I honestly think that until someone finishes their project, has it in the car running, weighs the car (total and f:r balance...before and after), and tells personal experiences...all this talk is pure speculation.

My motor is at my house and will be fully built up this weekend. I'm taking the VQ out this weekend (so whoever wants to buy alot of stock parts, let me know) and will probably test fit it to see what kind of modifications need to be done to the crossmember and how I need to make my mounts. Next week I will be doing the modifications and making motor/tranny mounts, measuring for a driveshaft, and ordering intercooler/exhaust piping. If I have any time after that I will start on the wiring.

The main advice I have regarding this thread is....you will think you have done all the research you need to do and bought all the parts you need...but I assure you...you have not. I also recommend, to do it right, tear the motor down completely and inspect it. If you are looking for 450+ hp and have a 100% reliable motor...start buying alot of parts. If you are looking for 550-600+ hp...start buying even more parts. If you want to rev past 8000rpm...start buying even more parts. Trust me..it never ends.
Thanks man and I can see that you're doing it right and I know it's been a long time coming for you. How much HP are you going for? I was considering it, but for my power goals/goals for the car it just wasn't worth it. I'm really looking forward to seeing your car man. If you need any help or have any questions, just let me know and I'll see if I, or anyone I know can help. Plus JE is only about 45 minutes from me, and my gf and I go up to Baltimore to eat a fair amount anyways.

Quick Reply: Built VQ or RB26