Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

2007 350Z - Is it possible for the clutch to stick 'down'?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:30 AM
Nando61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 350Z - Is it possible for the clutch to stick 'down'?

My new 350Z Enthusiast now has 1,150 miles. I am enjoying it more each day, and really like it. So far I have had no problems of any kind, and can even make relatively smooth shifts ‘almost’ all the time. I am waiting another 100 miles or so to see what it can do on take-off. I have to admit that I have had it to about 5500 RPM about four or five of times on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd but that has been it so far.

However, something happened yesterday that surprised me, and I am not even sure of why it happened.

Going home after work in heavy traffic, and I needed to make a right turn at an intersection where two lanes turn. I was on the outside lane on 2nd gear.

Immediately after a relatively sharp turn, I shifted to 3rd, stepped on the gas, but nothing happened except the engine revved up. I made sure that the shifter was all the way in, and it was, but the engine just revved up, and the 350Z began to slow down. Fortunately, I had been further ahead of everyone else after the turn that I was not holding up anyone.

I then shifted to 4th, and the same thing happened – no engagement. I shifted back to 3rd, and again, nothing. Again to 4th, and then I noticed that I had my foot on the clutch, as is normal to shift, but I wondered if I had forgotten to lift it at all! So I lifted my foot, and the gear engaged, but it sort of bogged the engine down as I had slowed down quite a bit by then (still, no one on my tail!), so I shifted to 2nd, let the clutch up, and the car moved! Then 3rd, 4th, … and so on.

I have been driving a straight stick for over 40 years, and have never forgotten to let the clutch up. But, there is a first time for everything. So, I either forgot to lift my foot to allow the clutch to engage, or the clutch or clutch pedal got stuck. But is this even possible?

Thanks for you opinions.

Nando
Old 06-27-2007, 08:31 AM
ArCtM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take it to the dealer this is a common problem on the 07's
Old 06-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Z-T

Do a search. You will find answers.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:02 AM
unkn0wn ryder

your clutch just probably got hot...

i know the 03-06 350z clutch line is made of rubber... and i know alot of people changed it out and put a steal braided line on there... not sure if the 07 is the same way...

when ever that line expands the clutch tends to get stuck at the bottom
Old 06-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

nice job using the search function buddy.

I'll keep posting this advice until someone either proves me wrong:

I believe this problem is air in the clutch line or boiled clutch fluid.

Get the clutch fluid flushed and you should be good... I would recommend higher temp fluid such as Motul RBF-600
Old 06-27-2007, 10:44 AM
evolved326

After they replaced my clutch assembly because of this problem, I thuoght for sure it would happen again. But 4000 miles later, the problem has not come back. I wonder what they did...
Old 06-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Nando61

"nice job using the search function buddy."

Before I posted my question, I used search for 'clutch sticking', 'clutch problems', and just plain 'clutch'. There were 18 pages of related threads, and I read quite a few, but they addressed other issues. I did read only one where the same thing happened to one person, and only once answer was provided: "the clutch burned up."

My objective was to learn whether this malfunction was known to occur with the 2007 350Z with any significant frequency.

Thanks!

Last edited by Nando61; 06-27-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:30 PM
evolved326

search for CLUTCH with my SN in the thread starter area.

There is a huge thread on it that covers from when I THOUGHT i had something wrong till 1.5 months later when it was all done and I walked away with one month's car payment and 100k warentee. Goodluck!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Nando61

Originally Posted by evolved326
search for CLUTCH with my SN in the thread starter area.

There is a huge thread on it that covers from when I THOUGHT i had something wrong till 1.5 months later when it was all done and I walked away with one month's car payment and 100k warentee. Goodluck!
I found your thread, read part of it, and will finish reading it tonight. That is excellent reference material!

I have an appointment to take the car to the dealer Saturday (in two days, and the car will have almost exactly 1,200 miles) for the first check up and oil change. I have already called them to tell them that I want them to look into the clutch issue. I will post the results.

Thanks very much!

Nando
Old 06-28-2007, 09:26 AM
evolved326

Default !

Originally Posted by Nando61
I found your thread, read part of it, and will finish reading it tonight. That is excellent reference material!

I have an appointment to take the car to the dealer Saturday (in two days, and the car will have almost exactly 1,200 miles) for the first check up and oil change. I have already called them to tell them that I want them to look into the clutch issue. I will post the results.

Thanks very much!

Nando

Some tips for you:

If parts are still on back order, contact 1800nissan1 right away! They can help you get the parts faster and they will start to record you problems. In the end, my file was 13 pages long!

Make sure they give you rentals. You deserve one! Some guys aren't getting one.

When its all done, get some compensation for your troubles! Dont be afraid to ask. You jsut bought a band new car!

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:44 AM
Riley07

I tried the "Flushing the clutch fluid" and it didn't work...I wanted to try it before the dealership put in the order for my parts...The head Nissan Tech. will be there next week when they install my new Transmission.I think he was also there for another board member in my area.. John (Mansmind) when he replaced his..I'll see if I can gather some info on what might be causing the problem.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:04 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is at the dealership for the same exact reason the damn slave cylinder. I honestly don't get what the hell happened. I think we have all been fooled here. At first they said it was air bubbles in the system that caused this, now they are saying a few of the vehicles have faulty slave cylinders.

Well if you ask me, we deserve free parts and a lifetime supply of race gas.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by Riley07
I tried the "Flushing the clutch fluid" and it didn't work...I wanted to try it before the dealership put in the order for my parts...The head Nissan Tech. will be there next week when they install my new Transmission.I think he was also there for another board member in my area.. John (Mansmind) when he replaced his..I'll see if I can gather some info on what might be causing the problem.

How did you do the clutch fluid bleeding?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:33 PM
97supratt

I got a maxima with a CVT trans as a rental. Does anybody want to disect it like forged did with the 07 HR. j/k
Old 06-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Riley07

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
How did you do the clutch fluid bleeding?

The dealership did it...I was thinking the same thing as you, Wired...I thought for sure it was just air in the system...They had no problems replacing the whole transmission from the get go, but I wanted to see if this would resolve the problem...There have apparently been many 07 owners with this issue and they know it has to be fixed...Lucky for me, the dealership here in Gainesville is top-notch..
Old 06-30-2007, 12:30 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

I guess there is some other problem then.... weird
Old 06-30-2007, 06:02 PM
Nando61

Went to the dealer today (Moore Autoplex) for the 1,000-mile check up (1,175 actual miles) and oil change, and also explained the one instance of the clutch appearing to stick down. They looked at it, drove it, and couldn't find anything abnormal. They did not deny that it was possible, but since it had only happened once, they recommended what could be expected, "Keep a close eye on it, and if does happen again, bring it back, let us know what the conditions were, and we will take care of it."

Since it has only happened once, I can't really argue or find fault with what they said. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

--------------------------------------------------
Not related but interesting dialog at the dealer:

Nando: What kind of oil do you normally use?
Mechanic: 5W-30.
Nando: Is it synthetic, or a blend?
Mechanic: No, but if you prefer synthetic, just ask for it the next time you come in to have the oil changed. (They do it for free, BTW)
Nando: Will it make any difference?
Mechanic: Yes, it will make the engine run a little smoother.

Question: If that is the case, why don't they just synthetic all the time? Does anyone here know?

Thanks

Nando
Old 06-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Bevo

Originally Posted by Nando61
Not related but interesting dialog at the dealer:

Nando: What kind of oil do you normally use?
Mechanic: 5W-30.
Nando: Is it synthetic, or a blend?
Mechanic: No, but if you prefer synthetic, just ask for it the next time you come in to have the oil changed. (They do it for free, BTW)
Nando: Will it make any difference?
Mechanic: Yes, it will make the engine run a little smoother.

Question: If that is the case, why don't they just synthetic all the time? Does anyone here know?

Thanks

Nando
Because synthetic oil costs more for them than regular convetional oil
Old 07-01-2007, 04:43 AM
Nando61

Originally Posted by Bevo
Because synthetic oil costs more for them than regular convetional oil
That makes sense.

Thanks-
Old 07-01-2007, 10:06 AM
97supratt

I got my car back from the dealer and the clutch feels great. It is stiffer than the first day I got the car. This is how it should have been from the beginning.

Quick Reply: 2007 350Z - Is it possible for the clutch to stick 'down'?