Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Best tool(s) to measure temperature of engine bay, brake caliper, rotor, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:23 AM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best tool(s) to measure temperature of engine bay, brake caliper, rotor, etc...

I'm looking to install my coated headers this weekend and I want to do some testing to see how much of an effect the coating really has on ambient engine bay temps. I know I could do some before and after datalogging on the IAT with my friend's copy of Cipher, but since I have a Stillen CAI with the heat shield, I don't think that'll show as big a change on the air temps as is actually being made in the engine bay itself.

So what kind of tool is best for measuring? I've been looking at the IR thermometers, but I know they aren't always accurate for reflective surfaces. I also would like to be able to measure brake rotor temps, my diff temp, etc... when I start getting more aggressive with tracking the vehicle. So if there's a tool that might cost a little more, but work well for everything, I'd be down for that, otherwise, I don't want to drop a mint on something that might not be useful for a lot of applications.

Any useful suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 AM
arizzee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought these for my calipers but should work for other apps.

http://www.t-m-c.com/IrreversibleLabels.html
Old 07-02-2007, 01:09 PM
dovla

Useful or not but my Accutech IR Pyrometer served me well.
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/pyrom.htm
Old 07-04-2007, 02:14 PM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, thanks guys. Hope this coating is effective, its supposed to be better than Jet Hot.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:20 PM
CLETUS

The IR pyrometer or laser thermometer will be helpful with brake temps and with temps on the headers. you cant measure air temps, but if you see a big drop in the surface temp of the header you know the air around it will be cooler. we use these at work all the time on cars.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:43 PM
gtstephenson

Originally Posted by CLETUS
The IR pyrometer or laser thermometer will be helpful with brake temps and with temps on the headers. you cant measure air temps, but if you see a big drop in the surface temp of the header you know the air around it will be cooler. we use these at work all the time on cars.
You can measure the air temperature in a fixed position using a thermocouple connected to your digital volt meter. Position the lead where you want to measure the temp and run the wire thru the firewall (any opening) and connect to the adapter on your meter. If you want to measure thermals in several locations, run multiple wires and label them. You can plug them in and take your measurement. (I do this kind of thing frequently when checking for hot spots inside a server. I'll place 8 or 9 probes in areas of interest with the probes tape insulated so only the very end is bare. Boot the machine and recore thermals in the system every 10 minutes along with an ambient measure to see if changes I'm making improve the delta temperature against the ambient. (Poor mans data logger).

Accuracy is generally better than with IR solutions that measure surface temperature.

Tom S.