Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

5AT with 3.7 final drive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:12 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^3.7 ring and pinion shipped out today. I'm sending in my pumpkin, 3.7 fg and quaife lsd to tsquare on Thurs. I still think you'll have your setup before me, however--so you'll still probably get first impression oc
Old 07-24-2007, 05:02 PM
OCG35
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
^^3.7 ring and pinion shipped out today. I'm sending in my pumpkin, 3.7 fg and quaife lsd to tsquare on Thurs. I still think you'll have your setup before me, however--so you'll still probably get first impression oc
I didn’t get a call saying mine is in same place, same source... hmmm.... conspiracy - gotta go I have a phone call to make!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Ghost 350z

Originally Posted by coachk
Are you F.I. or N/A? Are you shifting manually in the 1/4 mile or are you in full auto? If your manually shifting what gear do you hit the trap at?
Im N/A,my fastest run was on manual and ended in fourth. I trapped around 103mph, on DRs
Old 07-24-2007, 05:17 PM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by GG_VQ
I didn’t get a call saying mine is in same place, same source... hmmm.... conspiracy - gotta go I have a phone call to make!
In all fairness, it was my b-day today, so if only one came in...j/k! (really tho it is my b-day today ) I'm sure they'll take care of you bro!
Old 07-24-2007, 06:48 PM
OCG35
Banned

In all fairness, it was my b-day today, so if only one came in...j/k! (really tho it is my b-day today ) I'm sure they'll take care of you bro!
I spoke to Eddie... apparently your shipment got mixed up and didn’t go out... I'm not quite sure how it happened, but all of the sudden I have a 3.692 ring and pinion gear set sitting in my living room

Just kidding!!! (obviously) Happy BD! I'm told you are sched to have yours tomorrow or next day I think... I'm hoping mine is in by the end of the week... TS is gonna probably have the same job X 2 on the same day... maybe I'll let them practice on yours first
Old 07-24-2007, 08:12 PM
jonnylaw

I spoke to Eddie... apparently your shipment got mixed up and didn’t go out... I'm not quite sure how it happened, but all of the sudden I have a 3.692 ring and pinion gear set sitting in my living room

Just kidding!!! (obviously) Happy BD! I'm told you are sched to have yours tomorrow or next day I think... I'm hoping mine is in by the end of the week... TS is gonna probably have the same job X 2 on the same day... maybe I'll let them practice on yours first
thanks for the kind words bro. I still think you'll beat me to tsquare since u live so close and ts most likely won't get my stuff until early next week. Regardless I think it will be cool that both of us can post our reviews off the diff setup u with the at and me with the mt should give the forum a good and complete review of the quaife and 3.7 fg.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:23 PM
z-u-later

I am also interested in the review of the 3.3 FD to 3.7 FD swap. I did the 3.3 FD to 3.5 FD swap and have been extremely satisfied with the results in autocross. Acceleration is much quicker out of the corners. Let's just say nobody wants to play with me in BSP . . .
Old 07-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Q45tech
Steady cruise MPG is ~~ to engine rpm less any improvement in volumetric efficiency. Engine life is some multiple of average rpm so expect a decrease in end point life.

A decrease of 10% in MPG and 10-20% in life might be the result of sustained higher rpm?
gas mileage big whoop, thats the cost of performance. 10 % life maybe 20% is a bit overboard. lets say 15% of the engine life. i think nissan designed the VQ for about 200k. so lets say 15%, so instead of 200k it lasts until 170k big whoop, he probably wont have the car by then.

please check your pants and see if you still have a ***** attached to your body.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:41 AM
Q45tech

Eunics have much less distractions and can concentrate on the truly important things in life. People who bring things like this up on forums are often insecure and have tiny ones.

I would think a decent engine well maintained could last 300,000 miles [previous Nissan examples of V6] but in any event even if you loose 100,000 miles only the next buyer cares and few bother to extract revenge on previous owners.

Unfortunately/fortunately used buyers are blinded by the bling and never check diff gear ratios or other mods.

In theory a diff gear increase is against Federal EPA rules and the 1990 Clean Air Act since more rpms create more emissions per mile so if a 2nd buyer wanted to prove a point they could sue you and win with the help of EPA experts who would be happy to assist in punishing the owner who violated their rules tacking on the $10,000 fine.

Agreed this might be a 1 in a million chance but you never know after the up coming elections and global warming histeria.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:18 AM
Suvlaki

Well, in all fairness, your Z should be dead long before you give the VQ a chance to fail. Engine life is of absolutely no concern to me. Mainly, it's MPG (if its a HUGE drop,) daily driveability, and any other tech problems with this mod. Can't wait for the two people who mentioned they have their FD in the mail to install them and give a review on this thread.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:10 AM
alexfair

subscribing in hopes for those two to post reviews.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:35 PM
jonnylaw

I have the quaife ATB, 3.7 fg, flanges, gear rebuild parts all in hand. I'm taking out my pumpkin tomorrow mornig--everything will be sent to Technosquare overnight and should get there Fri--Hopefully they can ship same or next day and hopefully will put the pumpkin back early next week.

I'll be sure to post an in-dept review once everything is completed--also putting on a set of sun anodized blue sport pedals, nissan sport horns, and some other various goodies
Old 07-25-2007, 04:53 PM
OCG35
Banned

I should be receiving 3.7 by end of week and originally planned on taking the car to TS Thurs or Fri... I'll have to see if they are avail since jonnylaw is sending his - mine might be early next week... I’ll post impressions.

As for the next person to own my car... I have the ability to make it entirely stock - I always keep all OEM parts... If the next owner wants stock I'll sell all the mods... If he wants mods, he'll get all the stock parts too.

If the Feds have so much time on their hands they go after someone like me for mods I hope they are quick… It will only take a day to put it all OEM again. In the mean time I’ll let them know about all the pollution at the ports, the industrial facilities, power plants, refineries, mass polluting vehicles, over-sized/over-weight gas guzzlers, etc, etc that the tax paying public would be better served having them go after.

BTW – now that I’m on a tangent… yesterday I saw a gawd damn local cop sitting in a restaurant eating lunch with her car outside running!!!! WTF! I was so tempted to say something. Who do you think is paying for that fuel you f-ing b!tch! I noted the vehicle number and was going to call the local station… but I figured it isn’t worth it. Besides, they're probably to busy ticketing someone for tinted windows to pay for the f-ing fuel they are burning.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:20 PM
jonnylaw

I just ran the part number for the new replacing 3.7 ring and pinion in oem catalogue--and it looks like this part is pulled from 06-07 Infiniti M35.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:44 PM
OCG35
Banned

I just ran the part number for the new replacing 3.7 ring and pinion in oem catalogue--and it looks like this part is pulled from 06-07 Infiniti M35.
thats interesting...is it 3.7 or 3.692?... is the part #38100?...
Old 07-25-2007, 10:40 PM
jonnylaw

thats interesting...is it 3.7 or 3.692?... is the part #38100?...
38100-0B56A
Old 07-26-2007, 07:40 AM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the M35x comes with the 3.692.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:31 AM
alexfair

Question about replacing my 3.3FD with a 3.7FD, would an ECU retune be required? I already have a TS reflash, would TS need to reflash it again with modified specs?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:24 PM
OCG35
Banned

38100-0B56A
yep... the first 5 digits are universal - the last 5 I think different dealers use.... 38100 is the Frontier as well... I think some Pathfinders use it too... I thought the FX did (but not sure)... I'm certain the 07 sedan does... now we know the M35 does too. Thanks helldorado for the 3.692 clarification - I wanted to be certain there wasn’t an actual 3.7

To the user asking about ECU reset, no. If you already have the rev limiter bumped up there isn’t anything else (in the ECU) that will effect this mod.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:32 PM
jonnylaw

I just got owned by UPS for sending my stuff next day air The stock pumpkin w/ diff weighs 78 pounds alone
I probably could have just drove there

Quick Reply: 5AT with 3.7 final drive?