Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

5AT with 3.7 final drive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 03:19 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so far very impressed! No gear whine or noises or pops coming front the rear end

I'm taking it easy for now just in case a break in is suggested for the fg. But the car does accelerate better! Its just not that drastic thou since by car had 3.5 stock which is what I wanted since this is my dd.

Definetly can accelerate out of turns much faster now then before. Couldn't help but push her a lil bit around some twisty ravine roads. hehe. VDC didn't come on, smooth acceleration (whereas before the quaife was installed), the car would kind of bounce in the revs when accelerating out of a turn. Now its just smooth delivery. I think the quaife atb is great for those that street driver primarily and track occasionally--It's quiet, unobtrusive, and puts power to the wheels much better than the oem vlsd.

I'll be sure to post up a review when I drive it a little more. The sport horns (jdm nissan) sound nice (a lil high pitched and kinda exotic sounding--definetly cool to hear a different honk) and the pedals (sun auto anodized blue) fit and feel great too. Very pleased so far!

Last edited by jonnylaw; 08-01-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:51 PM
OCG35
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

right on jonnylaw! Congrats on getting your car back! It happened just as predicted - I just picked up mine too the 3.7 - Quaife club!

Haven’t had much time to drive it because I came back to work... TS is less than 10 miles away... did some brief fwy driving and lots of stop & go street driving - seems to be about 3200-3300rmp at 80. When 3.3 FD it was 3K at 82mph (so 80mph would be a tad under 3Krmp)... rmps come real quick! (as expected) As far as acceleration - I haven’t had enough drive time to have enough impression... I was set on something similar to the 07 sedan... kinda there, but not certain yet. It does accelerate quicker, but really can’t comment too much yet… need more drive time.

As for as Quaife - definitely not enough time driving yet for viable impression... but no noise and no obtrusions. I did get a little spirited around a couple of corners and VDC did come on - however it didn't buck and cut throttle and throw a fit like it normally does... is that the Quaife working, not sure yet... An interesting note – when I entered the fwy on ramp, the straight away had a bunch of water in a 10 yard patch… I accelerated though it and VDC did come on briefly but again, the car didn’t behave like it normally would… in both cases the VDC light came on, but the cars behavior did not indicate much. Almost as if had I not seen the light, I might not know it kicked in – I haven’t got a feel for this yet…

Got a 25 mile drive home tonight so I'll have a better chance to feel how things are... and will track the car sometime this month (1/8 mile drag)... I'll post review when I have a good impression of everything.

I am pleased with the fact that everything went smooth (knock on wood) as far as parts and install… there was only 2 small glitches: 1) initial ring & pinion that was ordered was a muck (I won’t go into details) 2) I wish I had picked up crush washer initially rather then after dropping off car for install (that was my fault)…. Aside from that I am happy that nothing gave problems. We’ll see if it stays that way. I think it will.

Edit
BTW - I don't know if my CC works... I'm hoping there will not be much traffic later tonight so I can find out... johhnylaw, do you know if your cruise control works?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:00 PM
jonnylaw

good to hear oc! Tsquare definetly knows their ish. I haven't trried cc but I'll be sure to check next time I am driving. Are you going to baby u car a lil for the fg's sake, or are u planning on driving normal right away? Should we keep it under a certain rev for a couple of hundred miles?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:01 PM
OCG35
Banned

BTW - jonnylaw... as far as break-in... Quaife does not need (as per Quaife America). Eddie at Nissan said the ring & pinion shouldn't need any break in... and I spoke with Howard at TS - he seemed to think it's not an issue, however suggested 100 miles to be safe...

I'm not sure I can refrain… I rarely drive my car these days, so it will take forever to get 100 miles…
Old 08-01-2007, 05:02 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
good to hear oc! Tsquare definetly knows their ish. I haven't trried cc but I'll be sure to check next time I am driving. Are you going to baby u car a lil for the fg's sake, or are u planning on driving normal right away? Should we keep it under a certain rev for a couple of hundred miles?
DAMN we think alike... read post above - it was written when you posted this
Old 08-01-2007, 05:05 PM
jonnylaw

hehehe. Drive it like u stole it. This will occur for me before 100 miles pass I do believe. The car is so easy to rev up high now!
Old 08-01-2007, 05:25 PM
OCG35
Banned

hehehe. Drive it like u stole it. This will occur for me before 100 miles pass I do believe. The car is so easy to rev up high now!
what rmp are you at 80mph? I'm not sure I'm gonna make 1/4 in 3rd... even with 7100 rev limiter... so many things to find out
Old 08-02-2007, 08:51 AM
OCG35
Banned

Here's a brief intial review (posted on Driver)
Originally Posted by OCG35
3.7 & Quaife installed today! Thanks Technosqaure (Howard) for quick and (so far) flawless install! Thanks Performance Nissan (Eddie) for the great cust svc and getting the right parts (even had a crush spacer in stock when I needed one at last minute) and Thanks UltraRev for the smokin' deal and excellent cust svc... and finally thanks AutoTech (formally Quaife America) for the multiple answers to my questions - again excellent customer service.

First - my Cruise Control still works!!!:biggthumpup: That was a concern (even though I never use it) since most that have gone to 3.9 lost their CC

Granted, I've driven less than 50 miles so far - but they were very spirited miles So here’s a review based on first impressions…

The revs come fast! It really takes some getting use to because I'm now in a gear higher than I'm accustom to... street driving I previously stayed in 3rd often (MM AT) now that same speed and rmp has me in 4th... 0-60 is indeed quicker! Wasn't certain at first how much difference it made, but after some spirited stop & go driving it's apparent the gears give zip!

Freeway speeds - with 3.3FD my rmp were 3K at 82mph (approx 2800-2900 at 80)... now its 3300-3400 at 80, 3K rmp is 74mph. Yes mpg will suffer, but I rarely drive the car so I'm not concerned. Acceleration in 5th gear is much more instant - in cases where I previous would down shift to 4th I can now get to speed in 5th (dropping to 4th is still fun and is quicker now).

Quaife: hmmm... I definitely more time with the car to evaluate the Quaife... I normally push the car in a straight line - so characteristics in twisties and frequent aggressive 90 degree turns is going to take more time... what I have noticed is with VDC on - during very spirited sharp corners (as in intersection turns) the VDC does kick in... however, it's much less obtrusive than when I had open diff... now the light comes on but the car doesn’t throw a tizzy fit like it would before. I barely notice VDC kicks in actually (as it is very brief). With VDC off - the tires do squeal a bit, but immediately hook up & go. The cost benefit is still in the air for me. But with more "hard runs" I will have a better feel and I'm inclined to think I will grow to like it more (not that I don’t like it, I just need more time).

This entire "review/evaluation" is admittedly a little pre-mature because I really haven’t driven much since the install - but I don’t drive the G daily anymore so it is going to take quite a while before I really have good impressions... so far I am please.

When I get the car to the track I will know for certain if this was the right choice (for me). I believe it will do well in the 1/8th - but I'm not sure yet if I can still run 1/4 and cross the finish line in 3rd gear. Rev limiter has been bumped by TS reflash so I'm hopeful... That will be the real test for me!

All in all, I would recommend 3.7 if you like quick acceleration and not too concerned with top end (or gas mileage) the fact that cruise control works is nice! So far I would say Quaife is a good choice if you don’t mind the expense and have maxed out most power mod options. My opinion of the Quaife may become entirely different after driving a bit more - and I suspect MT would absolutely have a good time with it (simply based on driving techniques while cornering in an MT vs AT)... Why did I get it? Because I'm working on some things to allow a high rmp launch at the drag strip - and I think Quaife will benefit when I have everything tied in.

So that's my initial review... I hope someone finds it useful
Old 08-02-2007, 06:55 PM
OCG35
Banned

something else I noticed... Which is actually really good!!! My shifts are instant! I didn’t mention it before because I wanted to be sure it wasn't an illusion... I'm AT of course and have ground wires, which helped the OEM lag a little, but there was still a minor hesitation prior to the 3.7... Maybe it's to be expected - but I definitely did not expect it... and since I really haven’t read much (if anything) from other ATs I didn't know it was something to consider... fluke or the nature of what shorter gears do

And no, it's not my imagination... I'm happier ever time I drive the car!
Old 08-02-2007, 11:17 PM
jonnylaw

just thought I would also post my initial review as well

I would just like to share my impression w/ the quaife ATB and 3.7 fg installed to my G to add to OC's comments.

First off, I would also like to thank performance nissan (mynismo.com)--especially Eddie and Andy, Technosquare, Autotech, and Fields Infiniti (Especially Eric and Anibal).

1. If you decide to go w/ the Quaife ATB, buy it from Autotech or Ultrarev (OC was able save quite a bit of money w/ a coupon code and 5% discount from ultrarev). IF you decide to buy and ring and pinion final gear set (other than the central 20 3.9), I recommend purchasing from mynismo.com--they have nismo 3.9, and a variety of nissan ring and pinion (including the 3.7 fg which OC and I got--whcich I believe is now pulled from a m35x). Also, they can get you all the required/recommended rebuild parts in a short time.

2. Regarding install, unless you know the G/Z inside and out, it is an absolute must that you have a qualified tech do the rebuild. Many shops may claim that they can do the rebuild, but how many of those shops can you trust to do a good job w/ correct shims, ensuring proper installation and no gear whine?

SO-do yourself a favor and only take your car/ship your pumpkin only to a reputable gear shop that is experienced w/ rebuilding nissan diff's, tranny's, etc. I may be biased, but off the to top of my head, honestly I would only trust the rebuild w/ two shops nationwide and those are:

a. TECHNOSQUARE (Did a perfect job on my rebuild, has loads of shims in stock, experienced techs, and very professional). Plust their rates are very reasonable and their turnaround time is exceptional. Plus I love japanese people

b. SHARIFF @ FORGED (you all know the quality of his work and I would have felt just as comfortable sending my stuff to him for the rebuild).

--If you don't live anywhere near these two shops (like me who lives in the midwest)--I would recommend taking your pumpkin off and shipping it, along w/ the LSD/FG set/rebuilt parts, to the respective shop--Yea overnighting the stuff costed an arm and a leg, but the peace of mind and the final flawless work was well worth it.

3. Review (initialy-only have driven bout 70 miles so far):
a. Nissan ring and pinion 3.7 FG: See my sig for my mods. Also, I am driving a m/t. Honestly, considering I already started w/ 3.5 fg and have been drving around w/ a clutch/flywheel setup that is half the weight of stock, I did not find the difference in acceleration to be mind blowing. BUT, It does compliment the lightwheel flywheel really well now:biggthumpup: The rev's climp up all the way up smooth and linear now w/out any fuss.

The change in revs doesn't seem to be that extreme for me, but every gear does have a lil more kick. I'm at 3200-3300 at 80 mph. Cruise control works flawlessly in varoius speeds. I've already got crappy mpg, so I've not even going to comment on that, but I don't think it'll be that much worse since I find myself shifting a little bit more often and earlier than before. Really, I would have probably been ok w/ the 3.9 fg. But, I'm not kicking myself for not getting the 3.9. The 3.7 suits me fine, but I believe 3.9 is still streetable for 6 m/t and I almost wish I would have had an opportunity to experience the 3.9 before purchasing the 3.7--Bottom line is, overall, I'm happy w/ the 3.7--It puts the revs in the sweet spot faster and really compiments a lightwight well--It's a good "compromise" for N/A G/Z's, that want a little more kick, but do a good amount of highway driving or otherwise have issues w/ the increased rpms and accompany engine/wxhaust "noise" ( I call it music!)

In comparison, I had been driving a 2007 g35x sedan, which I beleve also uses the 3.7 fg) for a few days while the rebuild was being done, my car accelerates faster and sounds a hell of a lot better doing it--but in all fairness, the dealership car was stock and my G is definetly not stock. Anyways, on to the Quaife ATB...

b. Quaife ATB--Unless you primarily drift your car (in which case a clutch type LSD like nismo, cusco, or tomei would be a better choice) IMO, the Quaife ATB, hands down is the best LSD out there for the G/Z, especially if your car is a daily driver, weekend tracker. First off, there is absolutely no noise whatsoever whyen cornering at small speeds or whenever. The worm gears in a geart type LSD like the Quaife, apparently don't have the assocaited noise and intrusiveness like some clutch pack type LSDs are know to have.

I like the way the ATB performs as well so far. Before w/ the oem vlsd the car has some traction issues sometimes when launching straight and the rpms would kinda bounce their way to redline--it wasn't always smooth. Now, this is totally eliminated! The car takes off w/out hesitation and is smooth to TS reflased redline.

W/ the oem vlsd, even when making a turn at a relatively "slow" speed, the vdc would kick in and hamper accelerating out of the corner. Now, w/ the ATB, this also is totally eliminatated! I'm redlining almost right after coming out of the turn now w/ practice--I finally feel a little less restricted by the VDC now when it is not switched off, as it doesn't come on as much.

But as OC said, the VDC definelty comes on briefly when making medium to fast turns--but now, this "interruption" is not as severe as it was stock and it still allows for accelerating out of the turn at a higher rpm and speed,.

Honestly, w/ all the breathing mods and the noises coming from my OS Giken STR, I probably wouldn't really notice any extra noises anyway, but the ATB operates w/out added noise or brief moments of hard lockup. The ATB isn't intrusive at all, and IMO its a shame nissan/infiniti didn't put a gear type LSD in their 6 mt and sport packages, as opposed to the vlsd. Many car companies have used the Quaife ATB as oem part--the r.i.p. dodge srt-4 is one that comes to mind.

For those that are floored by the the $1495 price tag and the required flanges additionaly required for those that are 6 m/t ($120 each)--rememebr you can save a bit w/ coupon code, and the ATB has a LIFETIME warranty--whether you street or race the car.

Again, I am pleased w/ the rebuild and I hope my initital thoughts help
Old 08-03-2007, 08:02 AM
OCG35
Banned

just thought I would also post my initial review as well
great review jonnylaw... It's good to have perspective from AT and MT... I'm considering CF drive shaft and found a shop in HB (So Cal) that everyone in the drive line industry I've spoken to says is about the only one around that does composites... if you are interested PM me and I'll give you the info I have.

Hope you continue to enjoy your new toys!!!! I've driven the car more in the last three days than I have in the last 3 weeks! I'm liking the 3.7 & Quaife a lot!

It was cool doing the same mod and using the same sources at the same time... interesting and doesn’t happen often.

Take care bro

~ Mike
Old 08-07-2007, 11:32 AM
floppydizzle

So what exactly did you guys have to buy to complete this setup? Did you have to change out the rear diff housing?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:39 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by floppydizzle
So what exactly did you guys have to buy to complete this setup? Did you have to change out the rear diff housing?
I'm AT, had open diff... all I had to get was the Quaife (MT), 3.692 ring and pinion gears, crush sleeve and gear oil... Technosquare provided shims... they re-used everything else... some people replace pinion bolt, seals, and other misc... So far mine has been fine the way they did it. I trust TechoSquare so I think it will be fine as time goes on... I'm luving it more & more every day!!! I recommend it!
Old 08-08-2007, 09:05 AM
floppydizzle

Originally Posted by OCG35
I'm AT, had open diff... all I had to get was the Quaife (MT), 3.692 ring and pinion gears, crush sleeve and gear oil... Technosquare provided shims... they re-used everything else... some people replace pinion bolt, seals, and other misc... So far mine has been fine the way they did it. I trust TechoSquare so I think it will be fine as time goes on... I'm luving it more & more every day!!! I recommend it!
Cool I have an AT too, but I've heard that the stock diff doesn't fit the 3.7 ring and pinion. The open diff you had was it the same as your stock 3.3?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2007, 09:38 AM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool I have an AT too, but I've heard that the stock diff doesn't fit the 3.7 ring and pinion. The open diff you had was it the same as your stock 3.3?

Thanks
If you swap gears from the 3.357 to anything else, you have to replace the diff. Your stock diff won't work.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:07 PM
OCG35
Banned

Thanks
I had open diff with 3.3 (which are stock on 04 AT sedans)... when I went 3.7 I also had Quaife diff installed... Are you open diff or do you have OEM vlsd?... if y0u have OEM lsd, helldorado will have good info for your needs in going 3.7.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Suvlaki

so wait... you have to swap out the oem lsd when swapping final drives? hmm...
Old 08-08-2007, 01:08 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by Suvlaki
so wait... you have to swap out the oem lsd when swapping final drives? hmm...
I think he means if you have open diff... which usually 3.3 does.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:27 PM
sentry65
the burninator

no the 3.3 diff always has the VLSD
only the manual base Z with 3.5 FD will have an open diff
Old 08-08-2007, 03:33 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by sentry65
no the 3.3 diff always has the VLSD