Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Pulstar plugs?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 12:01 PM
06CPV35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed....
Intrigued, interesting, still skeptical until proven otherwise with more independent testing results.
Known honest non-biased performance tune shops previously mention with their results will get my attention.
Longevity with these I'd like to see proven as well. Capacitors + high heat conditions usually = premature failure. No?
Worried about the advanced timing theory with these, I detonate as it is with 91 pump (rev-up VQ)

On fencepost patiently watching.....
Old 05-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Rowlett

Subscribing...

I need to change my plugs...
Old 05-30-2008, 02:30 PM
dTor

A supporting vendor of the Corvette Forum did independent dyno tests, before & after (using new NGKs vs. new Pulstars), on two different C6 vettes, one bone stock, one with heads/cam.

The stock one had some "weird" spark knock issues with the new plugs, but the H/C Vette saw 5-8 rwhp increase. Another poster there said they were able to resolve their spark knock issue (on a different Vette) by opening the gap slightly.

Please read the WHOLE thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1827136
Old 05-31-2008, 11:18 AM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrazenZ
After all the personal insults and name callling I doubt that he would come back for more.
Am the OP, nobody personally attacked me...what the hell you talking about
Old 05-31-2008, 11:19 AM
gabez33

Originally Posted by BrazenZ
^^^^Yes, the OP made a ridiculous statement that his tuner said that "the pulstar plug made is car run leaner". Another forum member called him a fool, which really accomplished nothing, I would have been more impressed if he could/would have explained why that wouldn't happen. It's easy to call someone who doesn't understand a fool; It takes more effort to educate them.

when did I say this!????????????????????????
Old 05-31-2008, 12:03 PM
CSF

Originally Posted by gabez33
when did I say this!????????????????????????
i remember the OP of another thread saying that https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/344700-pulstar-plugs-dyno-run-results.html

Originally Posted by overmind22
Hi All,

Today ZCarGarage in San Jose, California installed the much talked about Pulstar spark plugs on my 2006 350z Enthusiast automatic transmission car.

Well, I'll let the results speak for themselves, see enclosed dyno sheet. RunFile019 is with the stock plugs, RunFile027 is with the pulstars.

I gained about 4 HP on the dyno as well as the 3-4 in torque. Rob had to adjust the unichip since the plugs really do lean out your fuel mixture...BTW, car had 22k on it. Also, the idle seriously smoothed out...

Anyways, thanks to Rob at ZCarGarage, he rocks! He totally took care of me and has done all the work on my Z. They do great work there and very professional. Fast service, too.

For reference, my car has the Motordyne MREV2 intake, 5/16th spacer, K&N Drop in air filter, Unorthodox racing lighter pulley kit (3pc), STRUP ceramic headers, and a custom tuned unichip. Everything else is 100% stock.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:06 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^Yea, this was in another tread where the posted made a ridiculous statement. No way spark plugs make you "run leaner". Further the test was compromised by tuning during the test.

It's not my responsibility to educate ignorant people.
But if a poster makes a ridiculous and wrong statement, I'm going to call that person out on it.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:18 PM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Read the info'...Sounds too good to be true; 2O,OOO times better spark...
...hmmm, I don't think so! Let's give 'em some time on the automotive market.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:35 PM
Ivory

one of two things come about with these kind of products.
1.inferior product with clever campaign
2.new product that eventually caught on and becomes the "obvious" choice.

I recall motordyne's spacer design was so shot down when he came out with it, people were all kinds of skeptics and calling his dynos flawed blah blah. I for one believed him and bought a 1/2" from the get go after sufficient test results were shown.

However in the case of pulstar, it seems like the "small" company has a very good advertising campaign for a start up and i am still not convinced. I will test them out once I get my motor built at the end of the summer. Let the numbers do the talking.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:07 PM
dTor

Originally Posted by Ivory

I recall motordyne's spacer design was so shot down when he came out with it, people were all kinds of skeptics and calling his dynos flawed blah blah. I for one believed him and bought a 1/2" from the get go after sufficient test results were shown.

However in the case of pulstar, it seems like the "small" company has a very good advertising campaign for a start up and i am still not convinced. I will test them out once I get my motor built at the end of the summer. Let the numbers do the talking.
I wish I was around when Tony's spacers first became available and people were shooting them down. I wonder how many of those asshats/internet engineers have a spacer now.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:54 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Option 1. How dare u compare pulstar plugs to motordyne spacers!?, lol.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:21 AM
BrazenZ

Am the OP, nobody personally attacked me...what the hell you talking about
Sorry wrong thread! Jonnylaw is right, there was a similiar thread about pulstar plugs and I confused the two.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:55 PM
gabez33

well the plugs work great for me, and b4 anyone asks theres now way am doing b4 and after dynos, the only real benefit I can see and feel is throttle response is excellent and crisp now. But that could be from just changing old plugs,...my Z just 46k so....
Old 06-02-2008, 01:58 AM
Ziggyrama

well the plugs work great for me, and b4 anyone asks theres now way am doing b4 and after dynos, the only real benefit I can see and feel is throttle response is excellent and crisp now. But that could be from just changing old plugs,...my Z just 46k so....
The perceived change is from changing plugs to new ones and getting rid of the old, crusty ones. I recently changed my from stockers to tried and true NGK coppers and the car does seem to run better and be happier. Copper FTW.

Comparing the spacer to pulstar is like comparing apples to oranges. The spacer actually makes sense scientifically. I remember when I first bought my Z and started to look into the most popular mods out there. I saw the spacer and I do recall thinking: "that's a really good idea that makes lots of sense". I can't say the same for the pulstars. The marketing is clever and 'seems' to make sense however if you dig deeper and start to evaluate 'how' these claims can actually be achieved, the product falls apart. Part of the problem is that you actually have to have a pretty good understanding of how combustion works in the engine and what actually happens in practice to be able to start poking holes in the claim. Like any well organized tests, you evaluate the DUT (device under test) and make a prediction as to what it should do during the test and what the result should be, conduct the test and verify. Just doing the test and recording results is not the correct way because you can miss certain criteria or there are things at play you may not have known about which changed the outcome. The truth is that we've seen tests where the just changing old plugs to any new ones yielded 5whp difference. So, you have to adjust for this factor. Also, 5whp on dyno is pretty much within margin of error of the dyno so technically proving gains that smaller are very hard to quantify. I don't have the SRT-4 test with these plugs in hand but that test was done with various plugs and it showed no gains. Also, the C5 test baseline was flawed because the car was experiencing knock, as mentioned. Knock costs power. That disqualifies the test.

Last edited by Ziggyrama; 06-02-2008 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Ivory

spacer might "make sense" to you doesn't mean it should work. skepticism works in all directions. one of the comment i recall was "if the spacer works, wouldn't nissan engineers have thought of it" if you think about that, that sounds like it make sense also. Just because the product in question doesn't make simple sense, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense to an engineer.

Either way I'll do a test on it later on.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Ziggyrama

spacer might "make sense" to you doesn't mean it should work. skepticism works in all directions. one of the comment i recall was "if the spacer works, wouldn't nissan engineers have thought of it" if you think about that, that sounds like it make sense also. Just because the product in question doesn't make simple sense, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense to an engineer.

Either way I'll do a test on it later on.
Luckily for us, more often than not engineers don't dictate what should/should not be implement on products Hey, I'm an engineer and I know that making things "the best they can be" is not always good for business. Also, production cars from factory have a lot of various considerations that we don't worry about when modding so that's probably not a good analogy.

Spacer "seems" like a good idea and it is but I can certainly think of a few ways to botch the design and negate the gains. That's why tests are done confirm or disprove the expected outcome. I expected the plugs would not produce gains and so far, the tests that were done correctly support it.

Good luck with your test. Please post results when you have them.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:43 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
^^Yea, this was in another tread where the posted made a ridiculous statement. No way spark plugs make you "run leaner". Further the test was compromised by tuning during the test.

It's not my responsibility to educate ignorant people.
But if a poster makes a ridiculous and wrong statement, I'm going to call that person out on it.
It is possible for a new spark plug to result in more efficient burning of the air/fuel mixture, resulting in more fuel being burned, leaving only oxygen (a leaner mixture). If not all of the fuel is ignited (say from a missed spark, the AF will be quite rich). So theoretically it is possible...
Old 06-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Ziggyrama

Originally Posted by rcdash
It is possible for a new spark plug to result in more efficient burning of the air/fuel mixture, resulting in more fuel being burned, leaving only oxygen (a leaner mixture). If not all of the fuel is ignited (say from a missed spark, the AF will be quite rich). So theoretically it is possible...
Your theory is a bit off. One of the main components required for combustion is oxygen. For every molecule of fuel you have the mix, you're supposed to have X number of oxygen molecules. That's what AFR essentially describes. Around 13 O2 molecules tio every 1 fuel molecule, you get optimal combustion for torque production. If you burn X amount of fuel, you will consume roughly a proportionate number of oxygen molecules which will yield roughly the same measurable AFR in the end. Don't think of fuel being burnt alone. If you burn less fuel, you got more oxygen remaining in the same rough proportion to the fuel.
BTW, how would you change the properties of efficiency of the burn with a spark plug? I find this statement from Pulstar to be the most puzzling since that is dictated mainly by the fuel.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:38 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
Your theory is a bit off. One of the main components required for combustion is oxygen. For every molecule of fuel you have the mix, you're supposed to have X number of oxygen molecules. That's what AFR essentially describes. Around 13 O2 molecules tio every 1 fuel molecule, you get optimal combustion for torque production. If you burn X amount of fuel, you will consume roughly a proportionate number of oxygen molecules which will yield roughly the same measurable AFR in the end. Don't think of fuel being burnt alone. If you burn less fuel, you got more oxygen remaining in the same rough proportion to the fuel.
BTW, how would you change the properties of efficiency of the burn with a spark plug? I find this statement from Pulstar to be the most puzzling since that is dictated mainly by the fuel.
It is not my theory. It is an explanation of how an O2 sensor works, by comparing oxygen outside to that inside the exhaust pipe. If all of the oxygen is utilized in the combustion process, the sensor reads "rich" from the fully consumed O2, with excess fuel left over and visa versa for "lean" conditions.

I would imagine that the spark across the terminals from having varying potential difference (from a new plug versus an old one even - forget pulstars) may change the characteristics of the ignition process. That takes some imagination, granted, but mis-timing seems plausible.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:41 AM
daz311x

any update on these plugs?

Quick Reply: Pulstar plugs?!