Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Which Z's have AT /w Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Black Duck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but if you are looking for FI, you basically should have the manual as the autos just won't hold
I think you may have just opened a can of worms with that one.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:39 AM
HDPDZO6

Aye, it's the other way around. Once you get into high hp numbers, a MT is inefficient as well as the drivers when it comes to shifting.

And let no one forget the two fastest Z's on the board in the 1/4 are AT's.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
Aye, it's the other way around. Once you get into high hp numbers, a MT is inefficient as well as the drivers when it comes to shifting.

And let no one forget the two fastest Z's on the board in the 1/4 are AT's.
You are talking very specific applications in which swapping to an auto is beneficial. this car is not really the best application for drag racing and the autos you are flaunting are not the auto we are talking about here.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:09 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You just started Automatic vs Manual War XXVII.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Black Duck

Old 07-28-2007, 12:14 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Zivman
You are talking very specific applications in which swapping to an auto is beneficial. this car is not really the best application for drag racing and the autos you are flaunting are not the auto we are talking about here.
I was only responding to BlackDuck's assumption that MT's are beter suited for high horsepower applications, which is not true. Now the stock 350Z AT isn't suited for it either.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:15 PM
NETSHARK

Some people like the AT and some of them like the Manual, its all personal preference, if i had the choice of course i`ll chose manual although i don`t know how to drive a manual sport car, i`ve only driven Mitsubishi pick-ups i really enjoyed the auto as well (much more better than the ordinary auto) BUT it will NEVER give you the real stick feeling unless its DSG or something

I Do agree with Zivman, but just wanted to let you know bro that its all personal preference in the end we all had the choice to pick manual or auto except me :`(
Old 07-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Black Duck

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
I was only responding to BlackDuck's assumption that MT's are beter suited for high horsepower applications, which is not true. Now the stock 350Z AT isn't suited for it either.

Not me - I was quoting Zivman mate. Thats why I said he had opened a can of worms.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:16 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Black Duck
Not me - I was quoting Zivman mate. Thats why I said he had opened a can of worms.
Oops, sorry.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:37 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zshazz
Um... this confuses me. It sounds like you read me saying "Manuals are better because autos take a second to downshift" but I actually said "the manual mode of the AT is useful because it allows you to downshift before trying to pass someone so you don't have to wait that half-a-second for the auto to automatically downshift"

Am I correct?
Oops, maybe I took your post the wrong way. Was fairly late last night NZ time when I was posting.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:02 PM
JCSVT

I don't think I could ever buy an auto sportscar unless I was a hardcore drag racer or had serious leg/knee problems.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:26 PM
SolarOrangeZ

5AT
Old 07-28-2007, 10:56 PM
phatz33

I have a auto and I've never had a half second delay when flooring it in full auto mode. It shifts right when I need it to.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:17 AM
Black Duck

Originally Posted by JCSVT
I don't think I could ever buy an auto sportscar unless I was a hardcore drag racer or had serious leg/knee problems.

Thats interesting.......I'd take a paddle shift Ferrari 430 anyday of the week if I could afford one.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:46 AM
Cube

Originally Posted by phatz33
I have a auto and I've never had a half second delay when flooring it in full auto mode. It shifts right when I need it to.
If you're cruising at 50 mph and then floor it, I guarantee it's not gonna up and go immediately.There WILL be some time for it to get back down 2 gears, possibly 3 (4th to 2nd or possibly 5th to 2nd).

In "Manumatic" mode, there is a delay in the shift as well. With the VB upgrade, this delay is supposed to be GREATLY reduced, almost eliminated.

I was supercharged at one point, and in automatic... if I floored it the damn thing would bounce off the rev-limiter 3+ times before shifting.

I watched a video of Rookie's (the widebody JWT TT FX35) back when he just got the TT and he also had VB + TC upgrades, and he has it in AUTO, floors it, screams to 40 mph in almost no time at all, and the auto trans shifts before hitting his higher redline of like 7100. So the auto tranny can keep up with boost if you upgrade the VB, but otherwise stock it can't.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Cube
So the auto tranny can keep up with boost if you upgrade the VB, but otherwise stock it can't.
keeping up is different than holding up
Old 07-29-2007, 12:17 PM
freemist

Originally Posted by davidv

You just started Automatic vs Manual War XXVII.
Oops.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AT doesn't have a pedal on the floor. difference is the at have 5 gears whereas Mt has 6. tranny quality of AT is much better. I had the 5th gear grind on my MT and had to replace my tranny at 26k.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:44 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At trannys are just as bad. IMO the 6mt tranny is just more vulnerable to abuse
Old 07-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Cube

Originally Posted by Zivman
keeping up is different than holding up
Ummm okay? Stop being ignorant. The OP was asking this exact question, and people were arguing about the delay. I cleared this up with what I've learned from others' experience. To jog your memory:
Originally Posted by freemist
I wasn't trying to debate AT vs. manual. I'm just looking at purchasing an AT 350z and I know the vortechs have had issues with upshifting if your in 'normal drive' with an AT.
SOOOO to summarize, stop comparing a manual with an auto and the answer to freemist's question is that the VB upgrade allows the tranny to upshift properly. Keep in mind, the rev limiter was raised on the TT so it may just be that the tranny is still shifting a tiny bit late but hitting it perfectly at ~7k rpms.

Thanks for trying to keep it OT though Zivman! freemist, not your fault, it's ignorant people like Zivman trying to debate 5AT vs 6MT. Besides, Zivman, how many 6MT trannies have been destroyed from my350z.com members alone compared to the 5AT deaths? You obviously don't know a whole lot about the 5AT, and you don't drive one, and as such you probably don't research it at all. I drove a 5AT in to work today in manual mode, did you?

In summary (the shorter summary), cut it out with the 6MT bullcrap in this thread, thanks.

Quick Reply: Which Z's have AT /w Manual?