Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Which Z's have AT /w Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zivman
in the Z, the auto is an auto, not even close to a standard manual tranny. It is all gimmick
Okay. Here is your jumping in post. The OP's question was answered with the first post. Why not leave it alone? What was your reason was altering the direction of this thread to the inevitable ending that it got?

Here's my interpretation of your gimmick:

1) You enjoy creating this friction as it's allow you to feel manly and superior as you stroke yourself over the internet.

2) You were only trying to make a point and had no clue that it would start 4 pages of flaming, of which you were the main instigator....(see #1)
Old 07-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
How is the auto tranny deceiving or fooling us exactly? Because it's a more advanced technological development?

Not really, just a slight variation of the standard auto - these slapsticks have been around for yrs.

Is it not changing the gear ratio between the engine and the driveshaft? It is.

I'll give you that - it is

Does it not allow you to change said gear ratio on demand? It does (despite your protests).

this is where you are wrong. it does as long as it is within a set of predefined parameters that is controlled by the ECU. And when the shift does take place it does so with a noticable delay.

I don't want the manual because the automatic is better for the two purposes I'd like to use it for: in traffic on the street,

Fair enough for traffic - I never said the manual was the better choice for you or anyone in a near stock setup (anything non boosted is near stock)

and occasional drag racing. The top two drag times on this board are in autos. Wonder why?

See, this is just foolish. The top two drag times are by cars that only resemble a Z33. the auto you are flaunting is not the auto we are talking about here. When it comes to the Z, you chose the wrong car if you are looking for a drag setup. The manual will outshine the auto in road course /autoX racing because of the control it offers the driver - which is more along the lines of what the Z was setup for...

I guess by your realm of rationalization, those that frequent the track with their near stock 6mt Z's or even boosted Z's are better swapping their manual for the 5at to attain better ET's???

The only thing you cannot do with the triptronic is go directly to neutral from within manual mode. Otherwise a 5AT provides very good control of the car and the taller gears are particularly well suited for forced induction applications.

The gearing may be, but the trans is far from being proven to hold the power. We have seen a reference to a single auto running at 500 power levels in this thread. How many 6mt are holding up to those levels and beyond? Well, let's just say it is more than one. I may not be up on every auto that has attempted to make decent power, but those applications that I have been informed about have been less than successful. But if you pull the FD out of the auto and toss it into the 6mt setup, you are better off still

You have not made one constructive or even logical argument to date in this thread. Try, really try this time...

And I think the OP is clear that the automatic is not a computer controlled manual (ala DSG). Stop beating a dead horse already.
How are my responses not constructive or logical? The 5AT crowd goes right into defense mode when anything about the auto is discussed. You act like I am attacking your manhood when I am merely stating the 5AT "manual mode" is more gimmick than it is a standard manual trans <- for the 3rd time now, please argue that point.... if that is beating a dead horse, then what are we discussing at this point????

Last edited by Zivman; 07-30-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:47 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Does it not allow you to change said gear ratio on demand? It does (despite your protests).

this is where you are wrong. it does as long as it is within a set of predefined parameters that is controlled by the ECU. And when the shift does take place it does so with a noticable delay.
Ok, let's do this one at a time. Can you shift into 1st gear going 100 mph? Would you want to? What is your problem understanding this? The 5AT was designed to be "smart", as in not blow up your engine. What parameters and what kind of ECU "control" are you so paranoid about?

The delay can be minimized to where it is faster than you can ever shift using a manual. Deal with it. You don't know this because you haven't kept up with the latest advancements. Learn.

The top two drag times are by cars that only resemble a Z33. the auto you are flaunting is not the auto we are talking about here
And I never said you didn't need to upgrade an auto for FI. Just like you upgrade your MT for FI. I did say it was more expensive for the auto for high hp, but almost all high hp dragsters use autos.

The gearing may be, but the trans is far from being proven to hold the power. We have seen a reference to a single auto running at 500 power levels in this thread. How many 6mt are holding up to those levels and beyond? Well, let's just say it is more than one. I may not be up on every auto that has attempted to make decent power, but those applications that I have been informed about have been less than successful.
Admittedly, it has taken longer for upgrades for the auto. That's because it's more advanced and more complicated. That said, both SGP and GTM have solutions now for 500 whp+. Do you trust either of these shops? A GM tranny will no longer be required for high hp.

But if you pull the FD out of the auto and toss it into the 6mt setup, you are better off still
Wrong. Do the math. By my reckoning, the gears are *still* longer in the 5AT even if a 6MT puts in a 3.3 diff.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:55 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Duck
Think we have exhausted this debate already.
I doubt it. This debate will continue forever. Like alimony.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:57 PM
rcdash

Originally Posted by Z MANIA
Okay. Here is your jumping in post. The OP's question was answered with the first post. Why not leave it alone? What was your reason was altering the direction of this thread to the inevitable ending that it got?

Here's my interpretation of your gimmick:

1) You enjoy creating this friction as it's allow you to feel manly and superior as you stroke yourself over the internet.

2) You were only trying to make a point and had no clue that it would start 4 pages of flaming, of which you were the main instigator....(see #1)

+1. Some people are just too hard headed for their own good... oh well, i gave it the good 'ol college try. Come out to Z dayZ next year zivman and you'll see what a 500+ whp autos can do... There should hopefully be a fully built GTM and fully built SGP tranny there
Old 07-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Zivman

Ok, let's do this one at a time. Can you shift into 1st gear going 100 mph? Would you want to? What is your problem understanding this? The 5AT was designed to be "smart", as in not blow up your engine. What parameters and what kind of ECU "control" are you so paranoid about?

The delay can be minimized to where it is faster than you can ever shift using a manual. Deal with it. You don't know this because you haven't kept up with the latest advancements. Learn.

And I never said you didn't need to upgrade an auto for FI. Just like you upgrade your MT for FI. I did say it was more expensive for the auto for high hp, but almost all high hp dragsters use autos.

Admittedly, it has taken longer for upgrades for the auto. That's because it's more advanced and more complicated. That said, both SGP and GTM have solutions now for 500 whp+. Do you trust either of these shops? A GM tranny will no longer be required for high hp.

Wrong. Do the math. By my reckoning, the gears are *still* longer in the 5AT even if a 6MT puts in a 3.3 diff.
I am done. I have said what I have to say. Believe what you want.

The auto is not a gimmick zivman. It is certainly not perfect though. There is about a 1/4 second electronic delay in stock form, which can be completely elminated with a good grounding kit (you will see the electronic display on the console change instantly after the kit is installed).
You actually believe a grounding kit is beneficial and actually eliminates the shift delay for you slapshift auto???? OMFG... I can't even believe I spent even a moment responding to anything you posted based solely off that single statement

If you want to reference GTM and SGP specifically we can take it to PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Zivman

+1. Some people are just too hard headed for their own good... oh well, i gave it the good 'ol college try. Come out to Z dayZ next year zivman and you'll see what a 500+ whp autos can do... There should hopefully be a fully built GTM and fully built SGP tranny there
You tend to my fields and I would be more than happy to show up. I have a limited window to make a living and unfortunately that time overlaps with ZdayZ. I am open for mid Oct Zdayz or late March ZdayZ

Maybe while I am there I can get a good feel of what a TN setup is all about as well
Old 07-30-2007, 02:03 PM
rcdash

You want to discuss the theory behind the improvements associated with a grounding kit on the 5AT? You think a proper ground on complex electronics is unimportant?

What technical expertise do you have in the matter Zivman? Got a PhD we should know about? If not, then I wouldn't go attacking someone else's credibility...
Old 07-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Zivman

You want to discuss the theory behind the improvements associated with a grounding kit on the 5AT? You think a proper ground on complex electronics is unimportant?

What technical expertise do you have in the matter Zivman? Got a PhD we should know about? If not, then I wouldn't go attacking someone else's credibility...
This is off topic enough. Please send me a fully detailed informative PM if you like about the improvements associated with a grounding kits. I have discussed grounding kits in very specific details with those that have related PhD's as well as with shops that have plenty of experience with them. I have also done side by side comparison tests with other makes and models of cars with groundings kits and guess what.... they aren't worth a ****. If all it took were a few extra wires here and there to provide noticable differences like you state I would think the entire automotive industry would be following suit and installing them from the factory
Old 07-30-2007, 02:10 PM
rcdash

You tend to my fields and I would be more than happy to show up. I have a limited window to make a living and unfortunately that time overlaps with ZdayZ. I am open for mid Oct Zdayz or late March ZdayZ

Maybe while I am there I can get a good feel of what a TN setup is all about as well

It's just a few days - it'll certainly be easier to show to you than explain to you
Old 07-30-2007, 02:15 PM
rcdash

This is off topic enough. Please send me a fully detailed informative PM if you like about the improvements associated with a grounding kits. I have discussed grounding kits in very specific details with those that have related PhD's as well as with shops that have plenty of experience with them. I have also done side by side comparison tests with other makes and models of cars with groundings kits and guess what.... they aren't worth a ****. If all it took were a few extra wires here and there to provide noticable differences like you state I would think the entire automotive industry would be following suit and installing them from the factory
This may be off topic, but it's probably one of the more useful tidbits in this thread. By the way, hundreds of other 5AT owners must also be imagining that the shift delay is reduced by a grounding kit as this review thread over at g35driver has hundreds of posts and over 27 thousand views:

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55081

It's a good start if you'd like some reading not just from engineers, but from dozens of real world users...
Old 07-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Cube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am done. I have said what I have to say. Believe what you want.
I thought you were done? And you wanna know how I know that you're a complete moron and know NOTHING about the 5AT?

THE TCU CONTROLS THE SHIFTING, NOT THE ECU! Stop talking about stuff you have no clue about. And stop dragging OP's thread way off topic with the manual vs. manual mode debate. He never once asked if it was like driving a damn manual, EVER! He only wanted to know if there were auto's that didn't come with the MM and about fully auto keeping up with FI. Here's proof:
Originally Posted by freemist
I wasn't trying to debate AT vs. manual. I'm just looking at purchasing an AT 350z and I know the vortechs have had issues with upshifting if your in 'normal drive' with an AT.
I answered all of his questions regarding the latter in post #35, and his first question was answered in post #2. So WHY did you even open this thread? To pollute it with useless WRONG information?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:53 PM
chriskabobbers

mods, lock this thread, it's annoying.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Cube

Originally Posted by chriskabobbers
mods, lock this thread, it's annoying.
Cuz we forced you to open it and read...
Old 07-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by Cube
I thought you were done? And you wanna know how I know that you're a complete moron and know NOTHING about the 5AT?

THE TCU CONTROLS THE SHIFTING, NOT THE ECU! Stop talking about stuff you have no clue about. And stop dragging OP's thread way off topic with the manual vs. manual mode debate. He never once asked if it was like driving a damn manual, EVER! He only wanted to know if there were auto's that didn't come with the MM and about fully auto keeping up with FI. Here's proof:

I answered all of his questions regarding the latter in post #35, and his first question was answered in post #2. So WHY did you even open this thread? To pollute it with useless WRONG information?
by your logic, you shouldn't even be discussing this thread considering you don't have a Z
Old 07-30-2007, 03:25 PM
rcdash

Zivman, give it up. The FX shares the same tranny and engine as the 5AT Z.

It's ok to admit you were wrong.

Ha ha - just kidding with you man - hope you've at least learned a thing or two about the 5AT.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:09 AM
pyanq

I have a 5AT 350z '03 but I've been considering doing a manual transmission swap to it.

Will it be just the same as stick?

Also what do I need in order to make this happen?

or... on the other hand should i just stick with my 5AT?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:08 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by pyanq
I have a 5AT 350z '03 but I've been considering doing a manual transmission swap to it.

Will it be just the same as stick?

Also what do I need in order to make this happen?

or... on the other hand should i just stick with my 5AT?
A freakin' newb restarts the thread with unrelated topics . . .
Old 08-01-2007, 12:25 PM
rcdash

well, just so we can end it, pyang if you want to shell out many thousands of $$$ to do this, contact GT motorsports in CA. If you want to know more search for a thread on this topic started by GurgenPB. Otherwise be happy with what you've got.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Black Duck

I agree here. You'd be better off buying a manual.

Quick Reply: Which Z's have AT /w Manual?