Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Help A/T Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:52 AM
dlucke17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help A/T Problems

I have an 03' Enthus. and am the second owner. with about 43XXX on the drivetrain i have had a problem of shifting the car in the manuel mode for about a year, but some how cannot get it to act up when i take it to nissan. The tranny shifts harshly when cold with different noises and most of all when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd at about 25 mph it feels and sounds like the tranny is trying to jump out of the car.. I use the manuel mode 95% of the time and downshift b/c the car will stay in 3rd gear when slowing down until i come to a stop. I have done a California stop at about 6 mph and car will stay in 3rd gear. So please help, i have been reading that the A/T's are bullet proof and have searched to see if there is a previous thread, but no answers... Thanx
Old 08-04-2007, 12:58 PM
EZZ

Originally Posted by dlucke17
I have an 03' Enthus. and am the second owner. with about 43XXX on the drivetrain i have had a problem of shifting the car in the manuel mode for about a year, but some how cannot get it to act up when i take it to nissan. The tranny shifts harshly when cold with different noises and most of all when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd at about 25 mph it feels and sounds like the tranny is trying to jump out of the car.. I use the manuel mode 95% of the time and downshift b/c the car will stay in 3rd gear when slowing down until i come to a stop. I have done a California stop at about 6 mph and car will stay in 3rd gear. So please help, i have been reading that the A/T's are bullet proof and have searched to see if there is a previous thread, but no answers... Thanx
Everything you described is normal. Do not shift from 3rd to 2nd in manual mode or you're gonna feel like you dropped your tranny. In manual mode, the tranny will not shift to 2nd...it will stay in third until it goes to first.

I don't know what type of sound you are experiencing but if its a rrrrp sound in the morning when you first drive the car, its the ABS self diagnostic. It should be pretty quiet afterwards.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:05 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Have you had the tranny flushed yet? I believe every 30k miles or 2 years which ever comes first (w/ matic J only).
Old 08-04-2007, 02:51 PM
dlucke17

Fluid has been changed, and sound is not really what was described. I have heard that but did not associate it with the tranny... sometimes a weird grind and popping, not always at the same time... Just can't keep the car in third gear when driving, OCD i guess but i should be able to go into a corner in 2nd!!! I also failed to mention that the car has also stopped shifting and stayed in fourth gear... So had to pull over and turn the car off.. Not sure if that happens alot to others... Took the car into nissan with the service light on and still no help... They told me that even with my warranty i would have to pay to get the check engine light checked out.. Does that sound right??? Thanx
Old 08-04-2007, 02:53 PM
dlucke17

OH, also told at the dealer that the fluid did not need to be changed at 30,000 or two years, and that my warranty would not be voided if no change was made...
Old 08-04-2007, 03:04 PM
rcdash

Well that does not sound right at all - sounds like 3rd gear is really messed up for you. Did you take the service advisor for a drive? If it's as bad as you describe, the service manager should be able to notice the difference from a stock transmission.

I would contact Nissan corporate headquarters or take it to another dealer if they are not willing to warranty the tranny for you.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, don't flush your tranny.. it's not good for the transmission. especially at 30k. parts are well lubed at that point and flushing is not necessary. this is like the 2nd time I'm really about at issue... weird. good luck on your fix.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:58 PM
rcdash

Cannysage, on what basis do you make that claim? Links?

Flushing the tranny at regular intervals is recommended by the dealer. Like oil, transmission fluid can degrade and foreign particles from wear and tear can contaminate the ATF. A flush is recommended every 2 years or a drain and refill every year.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:43 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by rcdash
Cannysage, on what basis do you make that claim? Links?

Flushing the tranny at regular intervals is recommended by the dealer. Like oil, transmission fluid can degrade and foreign particles from wear and tear can contaminate the ATF. A flush is recommended every 2 years or a drain and refill every year.
A flush every two years or drain & fill every year is not recommended for the 350Z.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Cube

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
A flush every two years or drain & fill every year is not recommended for the 350Z.
Why not? And if so, what is?
Old 08-04-2007, 09:15 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Cube
Why not? And if so, what is?
It's not even a user serviced item for the AT. It's a sealed unit that gets changed when it needs it.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:39 AM
rcdash

WTH? Is it not the exact same unit as in the G35 - the service procedure cannot be that different...

Where are you guys getting this from? Links please!

EDIT: I just checked the 350z user's guide (couldn't find a service manual) and it describes the procedure for checking AT fluid levels and describes the type of fluid to add. Why would they include that if it was not a servicable part?

Last edited by rcdash; 08-05-2007 at 03:44 AM.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:48 AM
Cube

Originally Posted by rcdash
WTH? Is it not the exact same unit as in the G35 - the service procedure cannot be that different...

Where are you guys getting this from? Links please!

EDIT: I just checked the 350z user's guide (couldn't find a service manual) and it describes the procedure for checking AT fluid levels and describes the type of fluid to add. Why would they include that if it was not a servicable part?
This is why I'm so curious about these claims... it's the same transmission (except for TCU differences, but this is a Nissan product so that's expected) between 350Z, G35 and FX35. FX guys drain/fill their own ATF all the time.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:52 AM
EZZ

There is no recommended TIME interval between changes. There is a recommended MILEAGE interval at 60k for normal factory recommended changes (per my owners manual). If you drive aggressively all the time, I believe the recommendation is every 30k, flush the tranny. It'll cost an arm and leg though...
Old 08-05-2007, 07:14 AM
rcdash

It costs $199 including nearly $70 of j-matic fluid when I did it - and the dealer used a special machine to replenish all 10 qts (a true flush, not just a drain and refill, which only replenishes about 4 qts).

Not exactly an arm and a leg for every 2 yrs, which is what Infiniti recommends. For 60k miles that's what 3-5 yrs for Nissan, not bad at all though I don't know why the recommendations differ to that degree...
Old 08-05-2007, 08:12 AM
lowtempo

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

did you feel and difference in shifting after the flush? downsifting? firmness/lag?
Old 08-05-2007, 12:37 PM
dlucke17

NO difference after flush... I am not a flush fan b/c they are pulling all the sediments back up through the tranny and i'm pretty sure that's not good... I went in for driver's window doing the go up and then half way back down and also told the dealer about the tranny problem, was at 29xxx miles. He told me about the flush that was recommended at 30,000. I told him that i would have to come back to schedule b/c of low funds. He then said that "he would not do it at 30,000," it is over kill for that type of fluid. He also said that it would not void the warranty if the service was not done at 30... said ok, and had it done a little later to hope the problem would go away. NOTHIN'!!! Driving lately, i realized that it is not just when i down shift, but also if i am in the auto mode and change to manual at around the 20 mph... if it kicks into 2nd i have the problem... sucks!!! oh, did take service guy for a drive and it barely did it... Also asked tech at what speed the car should shift from 3rd to 2nd... he didn't know and said that he would find out... have not heard from him...
Old 08-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Q45tech

At what mileage you get to pay $4500-$5600* for a tranny replacement is entirely up to the owner. All one can do is replace 100% of ATF frequently and ocassionally drop and clean the pan and magnet.

You can abuse the unit and allow it to fail at 71,000 or treat it well and get 150-200k entirely up to you.
The AT is tested for 100,000 warmed up shift cycles.

Dealers don't really want components to last much beyond warranty since they make substainal markup on hard parts.

*early AT had external AT control computer vs later fully intergrated

Last edited by Q45tech; 08-05-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:53 PM
dlucke17

I know all about the markup on parts and that sucks, but was it true that they will not look over my car for free when the check engine light comes on??? I'm sure i could look in the service manual for this answer, but has anyone else come it to this??? I would think that i have that service for the remaining warranty...