Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Dynoed and Osiris tuned my car with all my new mods-graphs

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 12:04 PM
ssnake86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Dynoed and Osiris tuned my car with all my new mods-graphs

Alright first I would like to thank Shawn Church at Church Automotive for staying ultra late to tune and dyno my car(again!), and GT Motorsports for intalling all my mods. These guys are super nice and professional I would recommend either of them. Now...

All pulls were done in 4th gear on a Dynapack dyno. The baseline pull and spacer pulls were done last week. The exhaust, HFCs, and intake pull was done yesterday. The temp last week was 75 degrees and last night 77-78 degrees and Humidity was about 43% on both days.

Baseline pull before any mods: 257.2whp and 241.2tq- This would be ~244hp on a dynojet.

after installing Plenium spacer and Throttle body spacer: 261.4whp 241.2ft/lbs...ouch.

Now for the real heartbreaker.....

After installing HKS exhaust, Random tech cats, and Popcharger: 264.5whp 242.3tq.

Now why all those mods gave little over a 3hp gain I do not know. It also made the HP and TQ curves much worse, with much more dips and low points. Unfortuntly Shawns computer was messing up and wouldn't allow us to print out graphs on top of eachother to compare.(I think I corrupted the file by accidently steping on the power switch and turning the comp off ) Heres what the pull looked like by it self. The nasty dip right at about 5400rpms wasnt there, and the torque curve was much more linear.

My A/F ratio was already a little bit to lean at stock, and even more lean after the plenium install. After the exhaust, intake, and cats it was .5pts even more lean through out the the entire power band. I wish I would of remembered to print out the sheet that showed the A/F ratio, but we forgot cause we kept trying to fix the printer. My A/f gauge was reading 13.8-14 at WOT at redline on the way over to shawns place. In the middle of the power band it was reading 14.5., and at idle 15. Me and Shawn decided that the actual A/F ratio was .2 lower then what my gauge was telling me.

Best pull after the Tune: 282.4whp 256.9ft/lbs. This is ~267whp on a dynojet. I figure this puts me inline with a stock 07 HR motor, maybe a little better. I would like to compare my power band with an 07, but Shawn hasnt had any dyno at his place yet. More then the peak numbers though, was that Shawn was able to drastically improve the HP TQ curves. Some spots in the TQ curve I gained 20ft/lbs. Heres a comparson graph with my baseline pull before any mods. We had to copy the screen into paint and then print it. So its all black instead of white.

If you compare the red line to the first graph, after the mods, but before tune, you really see what Shawn was able to acomplish. The torque curve is much more linear, without as many dips and the HP climbs steadly all the way, unlike right after the mods were installed. Compare it to my baseline and I only lost a little bit of torque and HP at 2000rpms. I'm also getting my peak numbers 200 rpms earlier then before the tune, and 100rpms sooner then stock. I just though that was intresting.

I can really feel the difference through out the entire powerband, the car pulls much harder. I had a little fun last night with a stock 2dr 335i, and stuck right with him until half way through 4th gear. Which is a big change from stock...

Anyways I can't help but be a little disapointed that the HKS exhaust and HFCs didnt do more by themselves. Basically all the mods did was allow more tuning to take place. Who knows why, maybe my car just doesnt respond well to mods. I've also heard people say the DE engines respond much less to mods then the rev-up ones...maybe thats the case. On a more positive note, the car sounds awesome!

Last edited by ssnake86; 10-08-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:23 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Osiris is my next mod...I just know I'm not getting the power from my N/A mods that I could.

Congrats on your tune...that's an impressive gain!
Old 09-30-2007, 01:35 PM
SergEK

SHawn is AWESOME...glad he is local because he is one of the best guys in the industry period...professional, competent and an overall cool guy who isnt full of himself (like so many other people in this industry)

The bottom line is you GAINED power from your mods and are enjoying the car Thats always nice too see, especially after the time and money you spent

OSIRIS is an awesome tool for Shawn and the VQ and the more I see this working the more excited I am too see my results with it even where I am with just a TB spacer and pop charger (my car runs super rich)

I think with a little cam tuning and A/F changes my mid to high range power will come up a bit....and I might even raise the redline a bit to take advantage of the power up top if it can hold

Do you plan on doing cams?
Old 09-30-2007, 02:23 PM
ssnake86

yea eventually I'll do cams and headers. How much do cams usually cost, and cost for install? Heard its pretty expensive. I cant believe you got so much just out of the TBS....

Last edited by ssnake86; 09-30-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:26 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This by far is the best yet I have seen tuned. Man that's awesome.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:07 PM
SergEK

Originally Posted by ssnake86
yea eventually I'll do cams and headers. How much do cams usually cost, and cost for install? Heard its pretty expensive. I cant believe you got so much just out of the TBS....
I cant either, I would still be happy if I did another few pulls and only gained 9whp like Shawn did on his G

The one problem I have is RevUp cams and finding some that have been throughly tested and are safe while making worthy gains

One thing I am grateful is being able to tune the int/exh cam timing with OSIRIS...in my previous experience cam tuning yielded some nice gains and shaped the overall curve nicely...I think non-revups cant do that so cam choice will be even harder since you may be stuck with the profile the designer went with which will most likely be a mid to high end focus I would imagine

For now I want to slowly tinker with OSIRIS and see how far Shawn can push the envelope with cam tuning, fuel/timing tuning and a few choice bolt-ons as we hit bottlenecks

Hopefully that can help some other RevUp guys in making some part choices as either they make gains or dont --- the TB I tested... WOW --- obviously not every part is gonna be such a great performer (esp for the $87 price) but hopefully it helps other VQ guys know about a killer product

I think thats the main thing to using Shawn and his skills to help other VQ owners compare so many VQ setups on the same dyno....repeatability

I think with cams and headers you may see a bottleneck open up and a few more ponies opened up you werent expecting.....everything works together so some deeper lungs and pipes to exhale should help.....15-20more hp...maybe more??? Only one way to find out
Old 09-30-2007, 03:19 PM
warmmilk

your about the same hp as the hr's, but u have more torque, so in a race, my money would be on ur car over a stock 07
Old 10-07-2007, 09:37 PM
ssnake86

Originally Posted by SergEK
One thing I am grateful is being able to tune the int/exh cam timing with OSIRIS...in my previous experience cam tuning yielded some nice gains and shaped the overall curve nicely...I think non-revups cant do that so cam choice will be even harder since you may be stuck with the profile the designer went with which will most likely be a mid to high end focus I would imagine
you can tune the intake timing on the non-revups, just not the exhaust timing.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like 283 might be just about the best you can do on that dyno (Church's) with the non-revup without going with cams

Here's mine, mods are in my signature and tuning is on emanage ultimate also done at church's
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/224832-e-manage-ultimate-tuned-pics-and-dynos-inside.html

only major difference is I'm on stock exhaust...
Old 10-08-2007, 06:13 PM
ssnake86

Wired do you think Crawford headers and a tune from Shawn will make much of a difference?

edit: holy crap. We got the same HP numbers, and you got a **** load more TQ then me, and you dont even have an exhaust. Whats up with that? I thought my car was really strong when I did a bone stock pull of 257whp and 242 ft/lbs of tq. (non cooled) Is the 269.6hp and 254 tq pull with mods and no tune, or bone stock and no tune? If not, what was your baseline stock pull?

Last edited by ssnake86; 10-08-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:48 PM
ssnake86

pretty pissed and worried, cause my AF gauge at WOT is now reading 13.4-13.5, when before it was reading 13.1ish. Lowest Ive seen it get at WOT now is 13.3. It was at ~13.1 for about a week. It would go as low as 13.0, and as high as 13.2. So I'm seeing about a .4 increase. I dunno wtf happened. I dont even know when it started either. I was runing pretty hard with this 335i the other night, I hope that didnt have anything to do with it, I doubt it though.

I have a gut feeling its my R/T HFCs, cause I've heard complaints about them, and people saying the A/Fs are not stable with them. Its really bugging me though. I'm gonna call Shawn tomarrow and ask him what he thinks. Maybe the gauge is fin up.

I also noticed when changing back to the stock map, it didnt affect the A/F ratio on my gauge. I remember before my tune I was runing 13.8-13.9 at WOT with all the mods on. Maybe the stock map just puts the governer back into affect?

Last edited by ssnake86; 10-08-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:54 PM
yoichi

decnt numbers. congrats
Old 10-09-2007, 06:13 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

What is this Tb spacer? Any info on it? Nice numbers.

Chris
Old 10-09-2007, 03:47 PM
ChurchAutoTest

Did you start fueling at a new gas station Snake? Otherwise, check your Innovate sensor and make sure it isn't loosening up in the bung (or there isn't an exhaust leak somewhere in the header/exhaust interface).

My car is still reading the exact same AFR as tuned. There's no way the stock ECU will jump a half point in mixture unless you run a much more oxygenated gas (mine jumps 1 point on VP MS 109 fuel - which is why I have a race gas map). I'd still look for an exhaust leak upstream of the sensor first though.

SC
Old 10-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's my baseline versus MREV2+spacer plots
https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/188419-mrev-v2-independent-dyno-tested-on-bone-stock-287hp-motor-wired-24-7-s-05-touring.html

I baselined at 253 TQ and 260 HP

with MREV2 + spacer I picked up a few midrange torque and about 12 hp.

Don't forget...

air temps, coolant temp, intake temp, can all make a significant difference on such a sensitive dyno as this one.

Don't stress out about your numbers. as long as you made gains, that's what counts...

Also fluctuations of 0.3-0.4 air/fuel is fairly normal. the sensor cannot really measure it perfectly.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 10-09-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:40 PM
ssnake86

Shawn its funny that you mention it, cause Ive been getting gas at the exact same gas station ever since I owned the car. lol Shell V-power every time.

Wired our baseline pulls have the same HP about, but your has torque like a non rev-up engine should have. who knows what the deal is with mine.

I'm going to check for leaks, but how will I be able to tell? What do I look for? Get under the car while its runing and listen for a leak?

And wired you dont think some Crawford headers with shawn tuning will get me some more hp?

Last edited by ssnake86; 10-09-2007 at 07:06 PM.