Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

engine builders

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Someguy350

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Default engine builders

well im new here. and im trying to do as much research as i can in 2 days. i found an amazing 350z with virtually everything done except the engine. the guy was plannin a big motor build and TT set up. but his kid got sick and hes got a whack of medical bills now. so he is selling the car mid project. so i plan on doin the same thing. but i need to get a good cost estimate before i buy the car.

i have found a few sites selling full long blocks. but there is no way of knowing how reputable these places are. and i cant seem to find much about any trusted builders here on the forums.

so is there anyone here that has a fully built longblock installed with a big TT kit?? who has more than 10,000mi on it?? and can you direct me to where you got your engine??

i want a sleeved block with low compression forged internals. and cams would be nice as well.
i checked out www.builtzmotors.com. but they havent sent me a reply to my questions yet.

hopefully a few of you can help quick. im supposed to go look at the car and decide on buying it in the next 2 days. but i dont want to buy it, and find out the build is gonna cost me way over budget.

thanks everyone. sorry for the long post.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:23 AM
toast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 12K miles on my APS-TT (11 psi). The car put down around 420 rwhp on the GRD dyno a year ago. I have not had it on the dyno since but it still feels strong.

The motor and tt-kit was built/installed by GRD performance up in Chicago.

Arias Pistons (8.8:1 cr), 0.020 over
Pauter Rods
Stock Head Gasket
APS-TT kit installed at GRD
APS 2.5 inch exhaust
APS delete pipes

From the GRD website it looks like they are now using GTM for their motor builds. I'm not sure if they do custom motors anymore.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Someguy350

Originally Posted by toast
I have 12K miles on my APS-TT (11 psi). The car put down around 420 rwhp on the GRD dyno a year ago. I have not had it on the dyno since but it still feels strong.

Pauter Rods
Stock Head Gasket
APS 2.5 inch exhaust
APS delete pipes

From the GRD website it looks like they are now using GTM for their motor builds. I'm not sure if they do custom motors anymore.
thanks, i PM'd GTM yesterday. still waiting to hear back from them.

does anyone have any experience with IPP?? good or bad?? if its bad you can PM me the story to keep the fights off the boards. and i wont mention it. IPP has the best price ive seen so far. but my main concern is quality work.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Someguy350

this is just unreal. there is a board here full of people with built engines. but only one person can share their story. ive been reading old threads on this board constantly for the last few days. and it seems i find horror stories from every builder. so now im just more confused than ever. i would kind of expect a little more feedback from others. because maybe people would like to see another fast Z around here, without someone else getting burned.

the only builder it seems that i havent seen a horror story on one of their builds. is GTM. but i cant seem to even get a reply from them about pricing. i cant believe that im about to drop 30g into a vehicle, and only 2 builders here seem really interested to sell me something.

sorry if this sounds like a rant. but i have never encountered so much frustration in any of the other cars i have ever researched. i might just pull the pin on this 350. and get an old skyline or a supra.

hopefully some more feedback will pop up after the weekend.

edit: go figure as soon as i post this, i got a reply from GTM. lol weird coincidence.

Last edited by Someguy350; 10-13-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:25 PM
raihansdg

Pauter Rods
Stock Head Gasket
APS 2.5 inch exhaust
APS delete pipes

ok i got a newbb question for you. Does an engine consume oil because of the TT? The reason I ask this is beause majority of the cars I saw with TT have black tail pipes....
Old 10-13-2007, 01:40 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get more opinions....post this in the F/I forum . You'll get plenty of replies there
Old 10-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Someguy350

Originally Posted by raihansdg
ok i got a newbb question for you. Does an engine consume oil because of the TT? The reason I ask this is beause majority of the cars I saw with TT have black tail pipes....
thats probably due to a richer tune. or lack of catalytic converters.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Someguy350

thats probably due to a richer tune. or lack of catalytic converters.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Someguy350

Originally Posted by booger
To get more opinions....post this in the F/I forum . You'll get plenty of replies there

thanks for the advice. ill try a post over there.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:36 PM
plumpzz

go with GTM.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:53 PM
booger

Originally Posted by plumpzz
go with GTM.
plUMPzz

the OP is in Canada ...GTM is in Cali . He's better off going to some on in Ill. [ GRD ] or the east coast , or north east .

Last edited by booger; 10-13-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:59 PM
toast

The black tail pipe you see on the TT conversions is not caused by oil consumption or running rich. Most TT's are utilizing delete pipes and what you are seeing is the remains of the combustion (i.e. black soot). Normally, the cats burn this material off, but without cats it ends up on the tail pipes and the bumper. Washing the car frequently is a small price to pay for the added performance and sustained reliability of the turbo's with delete pipes.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:47 PM
raihansdg

The black tail pipe you see on the TT conversions is not caused by oil consumption or running rich. Most TT's are utilizing delete pipes and what you are seeing is the remains of the combustion (i.e. black soot). Normally, the cats burn this material off, but without cats it ends up on the tail pipes and the bumper. Washing the car frequently is a small price to pay for the added performance and sustained reliability of the turbo's with delete pipes.
so the TT i saw none of them has cats?? so the exhaust flow would be better, aahh makes sense. Thanks for the info I really appreciate it.
BTW what does running rich mean???
Old 10-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Someguy350

so the TT i saw none of them has cats?? so the exhaust flow would be better, aahh makes sense. Thanks for the info I really appreciate it.
BTW what does running rich mean???
it means you are getting more fuel into you cylinder, then the available you have to burn it with. so your air fuel ratio is out of whack. and the all of the fuel wont burn. you will get some blackish smoke out your tail pipes. and it will rob a good bit of power as well.

running lean is the exact opposite. you dont have enough fuel. the engine will run extremely hot. and you will most likely get detonation. which breaks sh*t.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Someguy350

plUMPzz

the OP is in Canada ...GTM is in Cali . He's better off going to some on in Ill. [ GRD ] or the east coast , or north east .

since i am all the way in canada. it really isnt feasible for me to bring the car anywhere to have work done down there. its an 11 hour drive south, just for me to get to the montana border. so it really doesnt matter where i get my engine and parts from. they will have to be shipped either way. i have an extremely awesome HKS pro tuner up here. so no worries there. ill be getting all my work done with him, since i have no garage room this winter.

as of right now, im leaning towards GTM. they made me a fair deal i feel. and i can get the turbo kit through them as well, which is nice. one stop shopping.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:11 AM
booger

Originally Posted by Someguy350
since i am all the way in canada. it really isnt feasible for me to bring the car anywhere to have work done down there. its an 11 hour drive south, just for me to get to the montana border. so it really doesnt matter where i get my engine and parts from. they will have to be shipped either way. i have an extremely awesome HKS pro tuner up here. so no worries there. ill be getting all my work done with him, since i have no garage room this winter.

as of right now, im leaning towards GTM. they made me a fair deal i feel. and i can get the turbo kit through them as well, which is nice. one stop shopping.
Most Canadians that are on this forum live further east . I was assuming sorry . IMPO...I would still shop around...why give money away when you dont need to .
Old 10-14-2007, 07:54 AM
Someguy350

Most Canadians that are on this forum live further east . I was assuming sorry . IMPO...I would still shop around...why give money away when you dont need to .
well ive gotten quotes from 3 different builders here. and they are all prety close to eachother. except that builtzmotors will get the 100mm pistons to make it a 3.8l with the same price as the other guys. but im prety sure the 96mm pistons will be more than adequate for what my goals are. and i like being able to get everything from one place.

but im always up for saving money. so if you got any suggestions, id love to hear them.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:42 PM
RebelinRI
Banned

You want to save money?? Don't bring it in from the US. Customs and GST will kill you/your savings.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Someguy350

Originally Posted by RebelinRI
You want to save money?? Don't bring it in from the US. Customs and GST will kill you/your savings.
actually there is no duty on automobile parts. part of the NAFTA agreement. the most i would have to pay is 6% sales tax. and im prety sure i dont have to pay that. havent paid it on any of the parts ive brought up for my SRT8.

and even if i had to pay the 6%. there is well over 6% of mark up on things in canada. for some reason, we make most of the stuff here. then ship it to the US. but its 30% more expensive up here still. so in the end, i will be saving money either way.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:38 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Someguy350
well ive gotten quotes from 3 different builders here. and they are all prety close to eachother. except that builtzmotors will get the 100mm pistons to make it a 3.8l with the same price as the other guys. but im prety sure the 96mm pistons will be more than adequate for what my goals are. and i like being able to get everything from one place.

but im always up for saving money. so if you got any suggestions, id love to hear them.
I might have forgot to mention in my quote that 96mm or 100mm pistons are the same price, choice is yours

Good luck!

-George
GT Motorsports

Quick Reply: engine builders