Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Project 2JZ in a 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 09:32 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by warmmilk
450-500 is a walk in the park for an internally stock 2jz, u can even hit 450 (i think 490 is the record, but don't quote me on it) on the stock turbos

and the guy saying a stock block 2jz isn't comparable to a built vq doesn't know what his talking about. a stock 2jz is more reliable at 700 whp than a built vq

how exactly do you know that a built VQ isn't reliable upto 700 whp? what year are we in? 2004? built VQ's have been hitting 1000 whp no problems.. you need to update your information
Old 12-08-2007, 09:35 PM
doug

Originally Posted by G35asian
Ok, so lets compare the cost involved with a built tt vq35 and single turbo 2jz swap:

Built TT VQ35

- Fully built VQ35 ($8-$10k)
- Clutch & flywheel to hold 600rwhp ($1.5-$2k)
- TT kit ($6-$8k)
- Engine management, gauges, etc. ($2-$4k)
- Labor for Everything ($5-$6k)
- Tuning ($500-$1k)
- Miscellaneous ($1-$2k)

Total: right around $25k on the low end of the scale

Stock block 2jz swap w/upgraded single turbo kit

- 2jz motor and tranny with 30-40k miles in good shape ($5-$6k)
- Clutch and flywheel ($1-$2k)
- Custom motor mounts/driveshaft/wiring ($3k-$4k)
- Engine managment, gauges, etc. ($2-$4k)
- Single turbo kit ($4k-$5k)
- Labor for everything ($4-$5k)
- Tuning ($500-$1k)
- Miscellaneous ($1-$2k)

Total: around $20k on the low side

I'm sure that I left a few things out, but you get the idea. Both will yield you right around 600-700rwhp easily. If you take it up a notch on the 2jz though, they are proven to hole over 900rwhp on a stock block . With a built 2jz you can have a 1000rwhp 350z for a lot less money then with a VQ.

I like both motors and personally don't have money for either (lol), just wanted to add my 2 cents....
what you don't factor in that price is for $5,000 more on a built VQ you get a much healthier powerband and a **** load more TQ.. btw.. you can get a built VQ shortblock + core for $5k.. so they are around the same price
Old 12-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Martin XAT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quamen
Can you explain the fuel pump setup in the picture?
Certainly. Custom built fuel pump holder using twin pumps feeding 2 Dash 6 fittings running to twin opposing entry rail with a Dash 8 Return Line through a AeroMotive FPR, back to tank. Essentially.. Twin pump feed, single return system.

Our holder also incorporates the stock fuel level gauge and hookup for leveling the fuel between both saddles of the stock tank.

Martin S.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:45 PM
SexZRed06

Originally Posted by michaeljr6
wow..............

this is probably better than the LS1 swap lol
hell yea, this engine wont break down every 10k miles
Old 12-10-2007, 05:53 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Martin XAT
Certainly. Custom built fuel pump holder using twin pumps feeding 2 Dash 6 fittings running to twin opposing entry rail with a Dash 8 Return Line through a AeroMotive FPR, back to tank. Essentially.. Twin pump feed, single return system.
There is a pretty big list of guys in the FI section that are waiting for a twin pump set up to hit the market. There is another member (Phunk) on here that was supposed to release one several months ago, but that never happened. The guys that are going for more than 600whp don't have another option right now. They can't really push their set ups because they are only running a single pump. You'd be able to sell quite a few if you offered them.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:30 AM
doug

Originally Posted by Gman2004
There is a pretty big list of guys in the FI section that are waiting for a twin pump set up to hit the market. There is another member (Phunk) on here that was supposed to release one several months ago, but that never happened. The guys that are going for more than 600whp don't have another option right now. They can't really push their set ups because they are only running a single pump. You'd be able to sell quite a few if you offered them.
the CJM Stage 3 is done.. if you were on the list you can get one
Old 12-10-2007, 06:36 AM
06MagneticZ

Holy Kalamity! Subscribing for no reason. Im broke
Old 12-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by doug
the CJM Stage 3 is done.. if you were on the list you can get one
I actually bought the AAM stage II. I know it isn't the best and it has to be modified to work, but my wife got it for me last Christmas, so that's what I will be using. My car won't produce more than 650whp so it will definitely get the job done.

I was more posting for all the current and future members that have a goal for big whp and that are not on Phunk's list. I've read that the CJM stage 3 was done, but from the last I read none have shipped yet. Also, this is no disrepect to Phunk, but I am sure people would like another option to buy a dual pump set up that does not require them having to suk Phunk's cack on every post in order to get on a list so they can purchase one.

Last edited by Gman2004; 12-10-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Martin XAT

Let me give you my honest opinion on such a product and why I don't think it could ever reach "drop in" satuts.

Although I could mass produce these units for relativaley cheap, it is not a "bolt on" product. The pump holder, level holder and saddle tank tube level holder are very easy to make. They took a good bit of planning but were extremely easy to fab up. The problem lies in running a clean setup with 2 Dash 6 and 1 Dash 8 line to the tank. There is a limited amount of space to get the lines through without removing some of the existing ones... which for the average DIY guy is not that simple. Second part is that you have to lower the tank a bit to get the lines tucked away neatly above it. This requires at least unbolting the diff at the front support to remove some bracing in the back.
Yes the job can be done quickly by routing the lines through the cabin or up the other side, but this would not be done professionally.

Martin
Old 12-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Nukiz0r
350Z-holic

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Subscribing.. in case I ever get rich.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:26 PM
pimpsahab

You XAT guys are awesome!
Old 12-10-2007, 02:34 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin XAT
Let me give you my honest opinion on such a product and why I don't think it could ever reach "drop in" satuts.

Although I could mass produce these units for relativaley cheap, it is not a "bolt on" product. The pump holder, level holder and saddle tank tube level holder are very easy to make. They took a good bit of planning but were extremely easy to fab up. The problem lies in running a clean setup with 2 Dash 6 and 1 Dash 8 line to the tank. There is a limited amount of space to get the lines through without removing some of the existing ones... which for the average DIY guy is not that simple. Second part is that you have to lower the tank a bit to get the lines tucked away neatly above it. This requires at least unbolting the diff at the front support to remove some bracing in the back.
Yes the job can be done quickly by routing the lines through the cabin or up the other side, but this would not be done professionally.

Martin
Martin,

I am impressed to see someone take it into their own hands and build a functional twin fuel pump assembly for themselves. Props on that. If you have any issues with the assembly (we ran into several when trying to make a drop in unit that is as predictable and consistent as OEM), let me know and ill get you my cell number and i can let you know of some of the problems we encountered and how you could remedy them if you run into them. Last case scenario if you encounter issues, ill get you a deal on one of ours, I would be proud to see one of our products in such a highly customed and fabricated project like the one you have there.

Nice work on everything. I am a diehard VQ fan and personally wouldnt do a 2JZ swap into my own Z - but I respect the drive you have to complete it and I am impressed with the follow thru, and the 2JZ is a kickass engine none-the-less. nice work there.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:38 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally Posted by Gman2004
I actually bought the AAM stage II. I know it isn't the best and it has to be modified to work, but my wife got it for me last Christmas, so that's what I will be using. My car won't produce more than 650whp so it will definitely get the job done.

I was more posting for all the current and future members that have a goal for big whp and that are not on Phunk's list. I've read that the CJM stage 3 was done, but from the last I read none have shipped yet. Also, this is no disrepect to Phunk, but I am sure people would like another option to buy a dual pump set up that does not require them having to suk Phunk's cack on every post in order to get on a list so they can purchase one.
[hijack]
your opinion on the situation is respected and understood, I just wanted to clear up that no one owes me any sexual favors . The only purpose of the "list" was for me to make ammends on broken promises to those who waited for brandon and I to complete the product for a very long time. There is no more list!
[/hijack]
Old 12-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Martin XAT

Originally Posted by phunk
Martin,

I am impressed to see someone take it into their own hands and build a functional twin fuel pump assembly for themselves. Props on that. If you have any issues with the assembly (we ran into several when trying to make a drop in unit that is as predictable and consistent as OEM), let me know and ill get you my cell number and i can let you know of some of the problems we encountered and how you could remedy them if you run into them. Last case scenario if you encounter issues, ill get you a deal on one of ours, I would be proud to see one of our products in such a highly customed and fabricated project like the one you have there.

Nice work on everything. I am a diehard VQ fan and personally wouldnt do a 2JZ swap into my own Z - but I respect the drive you have to complete it and I am impressed with the follow thru, and the 2JZ is a kickass engine none-the-less. nice work there.

Thanks,
You should see some of the other purely evil swaps we do on other chassies. This one rates about middle by those standards.
Always nice to hear someone apprecieate the work involved !

As far as the pump system goes, we ended up getting a second 350Z tank and studying the way it operates. I think the biggest issue is people not understanding which way the balance tube flows and what kind of vacuum it operates under to be effective. All things I think we addressed pretty effectively, as we actually ran this new pump setup in the dummy tank in the trunk of a car while driving it around to simulate some road conditions. The level seemed to raise correctly on the feed saddle, the way it should if there was more than one saddle's worth of fuel; as verified by the electronic senders.............If we do run into problems though, I will kindly take you up on your offer !

Martin S.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:21 PM
tig488

amazing job!

for those concerned with weight, this is what martin posted on another forum.

the 2JZ with that turbo and it's Getrag 6 speed w/ full accessories weighed in at 89 lbs less than the VQ twin turbo he had in there with the auto trans. I know because I weighed the two myself, as this was a concern of the customer. On our corner weight scale system, the car is 2% closer to 50/50 weight distribution than with the VQ.

that engine bay looks clean!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:19 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very very impressive!!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:30 AM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by tig488
amazing job!

for those concerned with weight, this is what martin posted on another forum.

the 2JZ with that turbo and it's Getrag 6 speed w/ full accessories weighed in at 89 lbs less than the VQ twin turbo he had in there with the auto trans. I know because I weighed the two myself, as this was a concern of the customer. On our corner weight scale system, the car is 2% closer to 50/50 weight distribution than with the VQ.

that engine bay looks clean!
damn... really?

i would have never guessed that outcome, all of the sudden i'm slightly intrested
Old 12-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Jestasia

ah yes.... supra goodness in a 350z form factor..
Old 12-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by warmmilk
damn... really?

i would have never guessed that outcome, all of the sudden i'm slightly intrested
Thats funny because neither would 90% of the people who have ever commented in swap threads.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:07 PM
ronie

nice ride...good job XAT!!!

Quick Reply: Project 2JZ in a 350Z