Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Chattering Clutch lol'd?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 08:15 PM
BlackZ05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chattering Clutch lol'd?

So i've had my new Tranny "2nd one" for about 2k cause we threw in a Spec stage 2 clutch an JWT flywheel an yes the noise did get alot louder, then i think i just ignored it soo much i didnt really pay attention to it anymore. Then my mechanic drove it Thursday to clean the engine bay after spilling anti-freeze all over it from installing the headers an he said it got louder. Now that i'm actually listening again it does sound louder but is it "Him" making me think its louder or could it actually be louder? I've been driving on this tranny for alittle for 2k with the new clutch an flywheel an it was really loud but not its like louder i guess. So the question here is how loud does your chatter actually get? I really dont feel like taken it to nissan cause i did just void alot of warrenty crap including the tranny with clutch an flywheel last tranny an it does feel like shifting is tight like is thumps into gear pretty good. So idk i know this is a way over killed subject i guess i just wanna hear i'm being way over cautious i guess.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:22 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Would you do me a favor and post up a video with sound so I can hear this chatter. Everyone speaks of it no one back its up. I'm in desperate need of a new clutch combo.

Going up a hill yesterday and I swear the car almost started to roll back. Going to have to order a kit today need help with this noise, thanks.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it sounds like marbles in a can - simplest way to describe it. - each combo will do it to varying degrees.

BlackZ05 - if the noise is there at idle, and goes away when you depress the clutch, thats the standard throw out bearing noise - its annoying, but its sort of a "thing" with these cars unfortunately.

If the noise is the rattling marble in a can noise you get when engaging first gear from a dead stop, from idle to ~2400 ish rpm, then its just the flywheel - it won't really get louder or quieter, its just a natural byproduct from replacing the heavy stock dual mass flywheel with a significantly lighter, single mass unit
Old 11-30-2007, 09:19 AM
RedBullRR

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
it sounds like marbles in a can - simplest way to describe it. - each combo will do it to varying degrees.

BlackZ05 - if the noise is there at idle, and goes away when you depress the clutch, thats the standard throw out bearing noise - its annoying, but its sort of a "thing" with these cars unfortunately.

If the noise is the rattling marble in a can noise you get when engaging first gear from a dead stop, from idle to ~2400 ish rpm, then its just the flywheel - it won't really get louder or quieter, its just a natural byproduct from replacing the heavy stock dual mass flywheel with a significantly lighter, single mass unit

Thinking of going with the Exedy Stage 1 and ACT Streetlite flywheel. Thoughts??
Old 11-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldnt use the Exedy stage 1 if you plan on FI down the road - its barely stronger than stock

Personally, I like the ACT setups - quitest of the lightweight flywheels, great torque capacity, and very easy to drive.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 11-30-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:07 PM
RedBullRR