Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Blown 06' VQ35DE! Due to Oil Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 05:46 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCam
I still don't get how some revups have the oil consumption problem, and other don't (like me.) An infiniti tech was telling me that nissan believes it has more to do with the driving style of some of the drivers.
That infiniti tech doesn't know what he's talking about. Revup owners have tested it themselves. The engine will actually eat oil more under easy driving than it will when it's run hard.

Also, if that's what Nissan thought, they wouldn't have issued a TSB. Silly tech.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:48 PM
carlos305

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

delete

Last edited by carlos305; 12-03-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:49 PM
cheshirecat79

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
You're not serious, are you? That's common good practice and preventive maintenance. I've been doing it with my car since it had 2.1 miles on the clock. Weekly AND every fill-up I check. I can somewhat understand the fill-up part for some Z guys, but there's no excuse to not check at the absolute very least weekly. That's user error.
He should not have to worry about burning oil every week. He is correct. I understand your point about proper maintenance, but let's face it: if Nissan told you that on only this car, on only one year, that you had to check the oil every 500 miles or the engine will fail, would you buy it?

The answer would be no. The engine is obviously deficient.

It's a good habit to check the oil on a Sunday morning after all the oil has drained back into the pan overnight. That being said, there is no excuse for an engine burning so much oil that it seizes in between a normal interval oil change, no matter how many times you check the oil.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:56 PM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
That infiniti tech doesn't know what he's talking about. Revup owners have tested it themselves. The engine will actually eat oil more under easy driving than it will when it's run hard.

Also, if that's what Nissan thought, they wouldn't have issued a TSB. Silly tech.
he was just rehashing what nissan was saying at some of their training seminars regarding these motors.

I don't think Nissan knows why it is happening. At first, nissan was swapping motors.....then they were only sending shortblocks.....now, I don't know what they are doing.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:04 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Oh, I completely understand about the Rev Up issue, but he would've known there was a problem if he cared to check his oil. That's all I'm saying.
Originally Posted by carlos305
This will be my last response to you.
Good for you buddy keep checking your oil every 5 minutes I chose not to and there's nothing you can do about! Call it a poor excuse in the end I really don't care your not the one changing my engine so your opinion really doesn't affect me in any way. Maybe ur just mad cuz your warranty was voided or something or becuz my dealer is better then yours whatver it is theres no point in continuing to argue im getting a new engine end of story!
Brah, don't get salty with me because your engine blew due to your negligence. I'm not mad or jealous about ****, and MY warranty has nothing to do with yours (mine was voided the instant I decided to buy an Evo).

FACT is, you shouldn't wait thousands of miles to check your oil, and you sure as **** shouldn't drive your car when there's an OBVIOUS problem and it continues to shut off on you, and you lack the common sense to STOP driving it, but instead CONTINUE to drive it until it doesn't turn on anymore. THAT right there is the reason I wouldn't warranty your engine if I was your dealer. If you would check your oil once a week you woulda noticed your car missing QUARTS of oil.

Hopefully you learned your lesson and will check more often. If not, you're a lost cause.

And yes, I am absolutely psycho about maintenance on my car. I'm under the hood, under the car, etc. as much as possible. Checking for basic things only takes a few minutes out of my day during the week and maybe an hour or two on the weekends.

Last edited by bboypuertoroc; 12-02-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:05 PM
cheshirecat79

he was just rehashing what nissan was saying at some of their training seminars regarding these motors.

I don't think Nissan knows why it is happening. At first, nissan was swapping motors.....then they were only sending shortblocks.....now, I don't know what they are doing.
They're replacing longblocks. The rings weren't seating correctly and the engine would have weird compression across the cylinders.

I guess the new engine has revised rings now, which it keeping the oil where it belongs- out of the combustion chamber.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:12 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Carlos, most people in here understand why you are upset that your motor failed and it's a pretty well documented issue. With that being said, you contining to drive your car while knowing something is wrong with it is just not smart. This is what people tend to have an issue with. Warranty or no warranty, it doesn't matter. When you started hearing noises would have been tthe time to take maybe 5 min. and do a little investigating. You prob. would have found a low oil level and added some oil. Now, this wouldn't have solved your problem but it would have bought you a little time and a tow job. A little common sense can go a long way.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:01 PM
carlos305

delete

Old 12-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Advent7

As i said before i had checked the oil a week before and it seemed fine, and i just spoke to the mechanic the is handling my car and he said that the oil was low but it had enough for the engine not to blow so they are not sure why it blew. i also said i was having tranny issues which led me to believe that was my problem.
What does the tranny have to do with the engine blowing? unless i'm just not understanding your statement.

It sucks but after it's all done it'll probably be good as new
Old 12-02-2007, 07:20 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone else besides me with a revup motor that has NOT had oil consumption issues? I wonder what the percentages of revup motors with problems is: 10% 25% 50%? I guess there is no way to really know...
Old 12-02-2007, 07:24 PM
03aeroZ

very odd thread....from the start. I don't know why people say how much they paid for their Z...since we all paid roughly the same amount.

I am not a mechanic, however, I do check my oil weekly as well...common sense really. There are several supper easy things to check, like cheshirecat79 stated, that take no time to look at. you rely on your car to keep you safe, might as well check the easy things.

one last thing...you don't have time to check your oil but you can post several times a day?? seems like you have time, just for the wrong things.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:50 AM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This will be my last response to you.
Good for you buddy keep checking your oil every 5 minutes I chose not to and there's nothing you can do about! Call it a poor excuse in the end I really don't care your not the one changing my engine so your opinion really doesn't affect me in any way. Maybe ur just mad cuz your warranty was voided or something or becuz my dealer is better then yours whatver it is theres no point in continuing to argue im getting a new engine end of story!
You really are retarded and should be sterilized as soon as possible. Every car I have owned, I've checked the oil level once a week...maybe you are just lazy and stupid then. Enjoy your paper weight
Old 12-03-2007, 04:30 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79

My 05 G35 was driven very hard at road course tracks and lots of miles. 28k when I decided to get rid of it in 1 year. It burned no oil with Amsoil 5w30.

Just a FYI, I hardly ever check my oil on my G35's or any of my cars. There is no need for that. That is why we have a oil pressure gauge, and a oil light. If we ran low, then it would tell us. I have yet to see the car run low on oil when I do check which is like once a month anyways.

Get off the guys back folks. Most do not need to check the oil and have no reason to check it every week. The car has a problem.

Last edited by SOLO-350Z; 12-03-2007 at 04:36 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:56 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

It's not the lackof checking the oil that makes me think he is in idiot. (although checking the oil once a week is a good idea, and really a good maintenance practice) It's the fact that he kept driving it after it was making funny noises, and it kept shutting off. He kept restarting it, and continuing to drive it. That, right there, is what makes him not deserve a new engine.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:34 AM
carlos305

delete

Old 12-03-2007, 06:30 AM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
My 05 G35 was driven very hard at road course tracks and lots of miles. 28k when I decided to get rid of it in 1 year. It burned no oil with Amsoil 5w30.

Just a FYI, I hardly ever check my oil on my G35's or any of my cars. There is no need for that. That is why we have a oil pressure gauge, and a oil light. If we ran low, then it would tell us. I have yet to see the car run low on oil when I do check which is like once a month anyways.

Get off the guys back folks. Most do not need to check the oil and have no reason to check it every week. The car has a problem.
An oil pressure gauge isn't gonna tell you your oil is low, and the light's gonna come on when it's too late. I'd rather make sure it's good (or find a problem myself) then wait for the car to tell me (which in a lt of cases could be too late).

The fact is he ran his engine into the ground. Was there already a problem? Most definitely. Did he lack common sense in that situation? Most definitely.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:59 AM
QuadCam

An oil pressure gauge isn't gonna tell you your oil is low, and the light's gonna come on when it's too late. I'd rather make sure it's good (or find a problem myself) then wait for the car to tell me (which in a lt of cases could be too late).

The fact is he ran his engine into the ground. Was there already a problem? Most definitely. Did he lack common sense in that situation? Most definitely.
unfortunately, you don't have to have any automotive knowledge to own a car. Nissan already has an issue with these engines sucking up oil. So, there isn't much that can be done on nissans part....just replace the motor!

I would bet that 99% of car owners never check there oil level. cars work so well (compared to what they were) that most people never even think about it. in actuality, if Nissan put a low oil level sensor that actually worked....this guy probably wouldn't have smoked his motor.

oh well.....it's a done deal anyway. so when is the new motor arriving, Carlos?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:02 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Ummm are you that dumb? Of course the oil pressure gauge will tell you. If you have no oil pressure or very low oil pressure then yes, we got a problem Houston!

And the light will turn on when you got hardly any oil left in the car, around 1-2 quarts normally.

Some people don't know the difference between a flat tire and the alignment being off man. Many out there don't even know that the belts or whatever else needs to be replaced on a schedule. When he thought it was his tranny having a issue that is what he thought.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:17 AM
carlos305

unfortunately, you don't have to have any automotive knowledge to own a car. Nissan already has an issue with these engines sucking up oil. So, there isn't much that can be done on nissans part....just replace the motor!

I would bet that 99% of car owners never check there oil level. cars work so well (compared to what they were) that most people never even think about it. in actuality, if Nissan put a low oil level sensor that actually worked....this guy probably wouldn't have smoked his motor.

oh well.....it's a done deal anyway. so when is the new motor arriving, Carlos?
i dropped it off on Tuesday, and they said it would take 4-7 days to arrive and 1-2 days to install so im keeping my fingers crossed for Friday or if not maybe early next week. Im gonna ask if the engine has come in yet, when i get to work.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:20 AM
carlos305

delete

Last edited by carlos305; 12-03-2007 at 09:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Blown 06' VQ35DE! Due to Oil Issue