Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Borla true dual is on; performance info.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Alev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do believe this thread has been officially hijacked... That is until Steve comes back from the track.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:11 PM
raceboy
Banned

Well, since there are obviously so many ways to state what I did, and you all understood exactly what I meant; my way is just as valid as any of the others mentioned.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:59 AM
jreiter

Default Re: Re: Re: Borla true dual is on; performance info.

Originally posted by D'oh
That's funny, because I would have called it "repeatability" and "accuracy" instead (from an engineering/statistical standpoint).

But then, I only have a bachelor's...

Hehe,
D'oh!

No way man. It's "the same every time" and "right on". But then again, I ain't never even finished college...
Old 06-07-2003, 06:16 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by webcarconnection
I have a Masters... but my thesis was that this system Kick ***!!!
Your thesis or your hypo-thesis or maybe it was a hyper-thesis.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:02 PM
qirex

Default Re: Re: Borla true dual is on; performance info.

Originally posted by rodH
interesting opinion on G-tech, that is called "reliability" when it is constantly accurate against itself, but may not be 100% correct (which is called "validity"), see I did learn something while working on my masters thesis

the .19 quater would be consistant with approx 20 HP, sounds GREAT

hmmm dont yuou mean Precision vs accuracy?

precision refers to the smallest variance recorded when reproducing a variable. Accuracy refers to the smallest variance between said variable and a "known" standard.

prolly semantics anyhow...
Old 06-08-2003, 12:24 AM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AHHHH, so many damn words!!

One of the benefits of becoming an engineer is that after a short time, you don't need to use them any more. Just focus on a couple of equations like F=ma and T=Ia and w= (k^1/2)/m

At this point, all I know is that I want this exhaust.

Thanks for the review, raceboy!

-D'oh!

Last edited by D'oh; 06-08-2003 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:47 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

Damn.....this thread sure went off on a tangent....all i wanted was a dyno sheet.

Raceboy, i noticed that on this exhaust there's no equalization tube, since it's a true dual. Do you hear decceleration popping in the exhaust when you let off the gas?
Old 06-08-2003, 01:23 PM
TCL

raceboy, that's good news about the exhaust fitting with thicker sway bars, and it sounds like you don't consider the number of clamps an issue. Qusetion, do you think the exhaust would have to be removed to replace the rear sway bar? This might help determine what order to do those two modifications for those considering both.

Also, how much louder would you say it is than the stock unit? Is it okay on long trips in your opinion?

Last edited by TCL; 06-08-2003 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:44 PM
mdacko

quite the random thread. Anyway, who has the best price on one of these right now??
Old 06-08-2003, 03:32 PM
all_bark

Originally posted by mdacko
quite the random thread. Anyway, who has the best price on one of these right now??
I ordered mine for $625 from Coz at performance Z.

Hopefully it will be here this coming friday as promised!
Old 06-08-2003, 04:36 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
Damn.....this thread sure went off on a tangent....all i wanted was a dyno sheet.

Raceboy, i noticed that on this exhaust there's no equalization tube, since it's a true dual. Do you hear decceleration popping in the exhaust when you let off the gas?
There's a crossover pipe right after the cats so it's not a "true" dual system.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:08 PM
D'oh

Originally posted by zwindsor
There's a crossover pipe right after the cats so it's not a "true" dual system.
Just because it has an "H" pipe does not prevent the system from being "true" dual, right?

Practically every exhaust I've seen has some sort of arrangement of tubes to connect both sides of the exhaust in order to smooth out the sound.

Doesn't the new viper do the same thing since the original exhaust system sounded like a UPS truck with only the 5 cylinders exiting on each side?

What defines a dual exhaust anyway?

Thanks,
D'oh!
Old 06-08-2003, 10:42 PM
hfm

Originally posted by D'oh
Just because it has an "H" pipe does not prevent the system from being "true" dual, right?

What defines a dual exhaust anyway?

Thanks,
D'oh!
David Borla said the true dual Borla exhaust is true dual...if you drop ping pong ***** they will never touch each other. The two pipes never merge together, there are infact two separate pipes with no cross-over.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:53 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I think originally the b/w installation graph shows there's a horizontal pipe between the two exhaust pipes right after the cat, but the finaly version does not have that pipe anymore.. it's a TRUE DUAL EXHAUST>.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:06 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Originally posted by hfm
David Borla said the true dual Borla exhaust is true dual...if you drop ping pong ***** they will never touch each other. The two pipes never merge together, there are infact two separate pipes with no cross-over.
If you look at TXSTYLE's pics and this one below there is a crossover/connecting pipe about 6" long. It's not an "X" pattern so no ping ***** won't hit but gases will pass between the 2 sides.

I'm an oldy from way back when a dual exhaust meant a single line for each side and no connections what-so-ever. That to me is a true dual exhaust.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=32210

So when you say that the final version doesn't have this crossover then how many prototypes did they ship out because all the pics show the connection.

Just my $.02
Old 06-09-2003, 12:02 PM
jreiter

Does it really matter if there is a cross-over pipe between the two sides? Would performance really suffer that much, if at all? I'm trying to get a grasp on the pros and cons of having such a connection.

From what I've gleaned off this discussion thus far:

1) A crossover pipe could smooth out the sound a bit.

2) A crossover pipe could potentially reduce performance (flow) if a signficant amount of exhaust gas was to travel through the crossover and cause a reduction of flow in the main pipes.

This sound about right?
Old 06-09-2003, 12:44 PM
webcarconnection

Yes it has a H pipe rigth after the 1st connectors and before the resonetors.... but this give the right HP and sound!!!
Attached Thumbnails Borla true dual is on; performance info.-100_0188.jpg  
Old 06-09-2003, 12:58 PM
RODiculouZ

Default Re: Borla true dual is on; performance info.

Originally posted by raceboy

It went .19 faster in in the quarter and gained 2mph. I did not see the 0-60 flash as I was concentrating too hard. I disconnected the groundwire before doing the baseline yesterday and I did it again today before putting in the new one. So that is the diffence between the old and new version Borla. I never posted numbers from the old version because they were identical to stock.
That's great to hear what you have found from the new Dual Borla exhaust. I have to ask though, when you said that it was 0.19 sec faster in the 1/4 and gained 2mph, is this an average from numerous tests(say 10 or more) or was this just from one run? I ask this because every launch and run on the 1/4 is never quite the same and it could have just been driver errors that could have given you the better times. I am not too familiar with G-force and how it works so forgive me if I sound like I am totally mistaking how it calculates things.

Regardless, its good to hear that you had some type of positive improvement. I agree that it should be dyno'd to tell us the true and accurate gains but just as long as you are satisfied with the exhaust, then it's all good. Have fun with it and drive hard!
Old 06-09-2003, 01:10 PM
FLY BY Z

An H pipe or an X pipe both allow equalization of pressure between two pipes. They sound different from each other but both provide better power gains over two separate pipes. The Borla is a true dual setup, it just has something that is technologically more advanced than the previous favorite setup. I mean, just because your an oldy doesn't mean you still use an abacus, does it?

An H pipe gives a more muscular sound and an X pipe gives a more exotic sound. Don't confuse these with a Y pipe which combines two into one. It is quite simple. Look at the respective letters and that is what the setup looks like.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:40 PM
TCL

Originally posted by webcarconnection
Yes it has a H pipe rigth after the 1st connectors and before the resonetors.... but this give the right HP and sound!!!
webcarconnection, it was hard to tell from your videos how loud the exhaust is. How much louder would you say it is than the stock exhaust?