Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 11:18 PM
wu350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

niiiiiiiice
Old 06-15-2003, 12:53 AM
350z_taquito

this is the fugliest most non-functional manifold i've ever seen. it's not even merged anywhere near properly. the second primary feeds directly into the first. it pains me to see something that ugly.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:32 AM
kurt leonce

thats true the manifold could have been done better looks half fast but good luck
Old 06-15-2003, 02:09 PM
z461

Skidazzle is a firefighter.. maybe he has a trust fund? Or maybe he spends most of his money on his car?
Old 06-15-2003, 02:44 PM
Ralphus

Originally posted by 350z_taquito
this is the fugliest most non-functional manifold i've ever seen. it's not even merged anywhere near properly. the second primary feeds directly into the first. it pains me to see something that ugly.
Actually, that manifold is not bad, I've seen much worse. This is what a custom manifold looks like, and keep in mind this is a race setup.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:32 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by z461
Skidazzle is a firefighter.. maybe he has a trust fund? Or maybe he spends most of his money on his car?
Since when?
Old 06-15-2003, 08:43 PM
jran76

Originally posted by Wicked4u2c
Dude unless you have a crazy *** race setup, I never heard of anyone paying 1,000 to Dyno tune a street car specially from a "GOOD TUNER". If your good, it shouldn't take but a few hours at the most. I got my car tuned from Harvs Performance (The guy who tune www.venom-racing.com cars and he charged me $300.00 for 2 HOURS! The car was PERFECTLY tune perfect A/f Ratio and all.. Now than if your suck as tunning than you can spend a pretty penny and that's where it gets expensive. The way I see it is anyone who gets in the heavy modifcation range MONEY isn't in an issue... And like I always tell everyone, if you decided to take this route you better have funds or else get out! Cause it isn't cheap. Stick to your intake header and exhaust combo and be happy reliable. Anyhow dont mean to stir things up just giving my .02 cents.
I agree to an extent, but I think for a car that no one has tuned and an engine that no one is familar with it will take at least 4-6 hours. Around here 4-6 hours of dyno time with a wide band O2 sensor will cost quite a bit. Jotech seem to be decent tuners, but they will cost quite a bit also. I take it you had a Honda with a B-series engine that is VERY common, so 2 hours makes sense, and it also sounds like you had a great tuner. Tuners are easy to come by in SOCAL, but they are much more difficult to come by here (Jotech, Powerhouse, and Cobb). So Maybe I exzagerated slightly, but I do not think you will find anybody to tune a car in Dallas with a full TT custom setup for $300. Don't get me wrong when I go the FI route, I will be thrilled if I can get it fully tuned for $300.

I also would include engine managment in that "$1000's" to properly manange everything, the MOTEC M800 eats that up by itself.

Last edited by jran76; 06-15-2003 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:24 PM
racingdynamcs

i would be somewhere around 8K to do something like that...and tune it...
Old 06-19-2003, 11:28 PM
InternetABYSS

Skid works in IT......hes just crazy about cars and makes some good coin which he saves up. hes not rich....just a cool guy that loves toys.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:06 AM
raceboy
Banned

I have NEVER seen a reliable FI kit on an NA car, EVER!!! I have personally known 7 or 8 people who have done it, including bolt on kits to full custom. At least 3 of those cars blew up and all had problems. Every time I go to the track there are guys there with their setups as well, nothing but problems. Those cars spend more time in the garage then they do on track. More power to ya, and I hope everything works out OK, but if it were me, I just would have bought a Z06 and been done with it.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:06 AM
racingdynamcs

i'v also seen many FI kits on NA engines...and most of these engine's are not ment for FI's but the vq35de is ment for a turbo according to a japanese mangazine...there was big article about the upcoming GTR and nissan rep said there is going to be 2engine's offered in the car...1) an NA V8 2) VQ35DE single turbo charged. so i guess you can call it VQ35DEt
Old 06-20-2003, 12:49 PM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by racingdynamcs
i'v also seen many FI kits on NA engines...and most of these engine's are not ment for FI's but the vq35de is ment for a turbo according to a japanese mangazine...there was big article about the upcoming GTR and nissan rep said there is going to be 2engine's offered in the car...1) an NA V8 2) VQ35DE single turbo charged. so i guess you can call it VQ35DEt
Yes, but it won't just be the same engine with a turbo bolted on. It will be lower compression. It will probably have under piston oil squirters and probably many other little changes. Just look at the differences between a Nissan SR20DE and SR20DET and you'll know what I am talking about.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:49 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that the same motec unit that was used on that custom
R34 GT-R?

I think they called it the GT-something and they managed
to get about 700-1000 HP. It had super huge turbos... bigger
than one's head.

It was so powerful it stripped the stock tranny, so they had
to order an aftermarket one. It's the one with the pipped
tips on the side.

I found vids somewhere, and it was in the UK i believe.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:24 PM
racingdynamcs

Originally posted by raceboy
Yes, but it won't just be the same engine with a turbo bolted on. It will be lower compression. It will probably have under piston oil squirters and probably many other little changes. Just look at the differences between a Nissan SR20DE and SR20DET and you'll know what I am talking about.

you can add all those little things onto the NA version ... but i know what u mean...like 2jz engine na engine is not same as 2jz-tt on the supra...
Old 06-20-2003, 05:18 PM
Ralphus

After doing it myself, if you want turbo, BUY A TURBO CAR.

I turbo'ed an NA car before and I'll never do it again.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:06 PM
racingdynamcs

what car???

what did u do to it?
Old 06-20-2003, 07:27 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

actually it depends.. for Honda cars, if you have a B18 engine, you can change sleeve, weld a block guard, and change piston and rods.. it will be as strong as anything out there... capable boost up to 500+ hp. it's fun but it's still a fwd car..

if you know what to do to prepare a turbo application, the RIGHT way will go a LONG way
Old 06-20-2003, 07:44 PM
flipity101

it also depends on who is doing the work also. a good shop will stand behind their work and fix any problems that occur. although doing it your self is more fun adn cheaper you have to deal with anything that goes wrong. a good installer can make all the differnce.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:32 PM
Ralphus

Originally posted by racingdynamcs
what car???

what did u do to it?
A CRX with a 1.8L. Built motor, etc, etc. Was pretty fast but not worth the headache.

Then I bought a turbo Eclipse, left the stock bottom end, put out 50 more hp than the CRX, and never had any major problems. I drove this car daily and raced it on weekends.

I knew several people who turbo'ed NA cars back in the day. Mostly Honda's, but also knew a guy with a turbo Nissan 240sx, and a guy who dumped a Porsche motor in his VW, etc. Whether they admit it or not, for the most part they regretted it in the end.

Then there's the smart people who bought an Eclipse, Supra, Grand National, or even a Camaro and slapped a supercharger on it, who kicked the crap out of most anything on the road, and still had reliability. All for what ended up being a lot less hassle and money in some cases than most everyone trying to do a turbo on an NA car.

Personally I am pro supercharger on the 350z for FI. I would wait for a Vortech product though, Procharger and Stillen are trash.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:45 PM
350z_taquito

Originally posted by Ralphus
Actually, that manifold is not bad, I've seen much worse. This is what a custom manifold looks like, and keep in mind this is a race setup.
wtf? were you dropped as a baby? a custom manifold is supposed to be well engineered, that's the reason to buy a custom part. the fact that it's a race setup is more the reason to have a correctly designed system. i don't know where you've been to have seen much worse.