Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Very loud click/clank noise (read) important

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Bwicked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very loud click/clank noise (read) important

OK so I was going crazy today, and Called a few friends and used some of my own judgement on what I'm about to tell you. I also did a search as well. Please help me out because I'm confused lol.

2003 Touring 350z 6mt:
Chicago, IL,

So today as I start the car it was in the single Digits, very hard start. took about 10 times to get it to crank. As I take off about a min later I hear a small clicking or clanking noise, and I'm almost 100% its coming form the driver side (FRONT). it happens consistentaly (sp) on a rotation. not random. As I'm driving the noise is there, HOWEVER if I hit the brakes it goes away. If I turn the steering wheel a little in either direction (left a bit or right a bit) it goes away. Later on throughout the day the noise slowly made less noise but it was there, But 2nite after watching a movie it got hideously loud and faster clicks/clanks per rotation. I seriously felt as if my wheel was going to fall off or something break. ( I already made an appt with a tech to see the car first thing 2mrw morning). I was forced to drive home on the brake and gas for about 3 miles. I'd rather kill my pads then snap something expensive.

In my opinion at first I believed it had something to do with the brakes/wheel/rotor system. As I mentioned the sound goes away completely when the brakes are compressed. The sound does NOT get loud if i free rev it while accellerating, or while parked and revving. A friend said it may be a brake pad thats loose? ( says a clip may have broke? dunno)

I was told that it may be " Axel click" from a previous tech over the phone. That very well may be, i don't know im a bit ignorant to detailed info like that. It very well feels like it could be the axel clicking or hitting something on the rotation, BUT like i mentioned it's coming from the front driver side i believe AND why does it go away when i compress the brakes?

Any ideas people? I read some of the "Axel click " threas and they say its the REAR , but i tell u itsa loud noise from the driver side FRONT and I can feel the click on the ground of the car as my foot rest. PLS PLS PLS any ideas?

Last edited by Bwicked; 01-18-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:34 AM
InZomniac

Brakes

(I may do this for a living but I have been drinking soooooo... But ya, it is the brakes most likely)
Old 01-19-2008, 05:46 AM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I can't read, but good luck to you.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Bwicked

^^ what? lol...

As for inzomniac thank you. I'll tinkly around with the rim and brakes today to check it out.