Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

NA Build Inside....Soup to Nuts :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NA Build Inside....Soup to Nuts :)

But first, a prologue

Hey all - as some guys here know, I've been doing an NA build on my own car for quite some time. It started about 2 years ago when I acquired a spare set of heads, and some Tomei cams. After much time spent with the flow bench, and a variety of other tools by my machinist, as well as assistance from some Japanese shops (notably MCR (Matchless Crowd Racing), and one of our suppliers in Japan, we had a set of heads completed. The original goal was to put those onto my stock block with a set of DC Sport headers that had been given to me, and see what could be done. Unfortunately, time was not something we had alot of, and the project got side tracked. While I did have some bolt ons done (netting 268 whp back in December 2005 when I did my UTEC install), I never quite got around to doing the headswap.

Fast forward to Fall 2006. A customer called us from Michigan and told me a story of his 2004 Z that had been totalled at an event. We ended up working out a deal for his longblock, in exchange for parts he wanted for his new Z. Now that I had a spare block...the "What the hell" factor took over, and I decided to build a block to go with my yet-unused heads

The goal on this car has always been a setup that can run in all 4 seasons, is not built or tuned to the ragged edge, but rather, a more reliable approach. I have other cars, and while the Z is a toy of sorts, it gets used quite alot (50k miles since getting it Fall 2003). In the spring, summer and fall, its basically my daily driver so long as the weather is nice.

Ok, so what did it make and what does it have?

Here are the details on the build. I think it encompasses what a good, NA build should...every detail that needs addressing was addressed. Yes, there are things I can change to net even more power, and some of those will be explored going forward. My goal from the outset was to break 300 whp, to give me a good platform with which to really learn the black art secrets of NA power on the VQ.

So what does the motor build consist of:

Internals:

Weisco Pistons (.020 over stock)
Eagle rods
ARP rod bolts
Fully balanced and blueprinted - not only balanced as individual components, but also balanced as a rotating assembly
OE Nissan bearings
Full Ported and polished heads
5 angle valve job (stock Nissan valves)
Tomei 268 cams (268 duration, 10.5mm lift)
NISMO valvesprings
NISMO headgaskets
Lots of time spent porting stock, non rev up lower plenum -we logged over 100 hours between the heads and plenum, going off recommendations from MCR Japan, as well as things we found on our own.
Cosworth Plenum
ATI crank pulley
New: water pump, rev up oil pump, idler pullies (OEM)

Final Compression checked in at 11.3:1

Misc Power Stuff:

75mm cable throttle body
06 revup airbox with silicone intake tube
removed mass air (runs MAP/AIT)
Crawford headers
stock plugs
Fujitsubo Y pipe
Fujitsubo Legalis R Titanium exhaust
Turbo XS test pipes
Haltech Platinum
480cc injectors

Drivetrain:

OS Giken Super Single Clutch/Flywheel with Aluminum cover
4.3 final drive
Quaife differential
NISMO finned diff cover

I think that covers it mod wise (engine related)

some pics of the motor:

Pics of the clutch (yes we balanced the clutch, and even the pulley, to 10k rpm)!

My old motor out of the car

Some pics of the assembled Motor (my favs...it looked so pretty on the stand)

Ok ok ok...so what did it make?

Dyno Sheet:

This is on pump gas, done yesterday in Norwalk, CT. I've known the owner of "The Shop" for years, and he was good enough to fit us in on short notice right after the holiday. For those who don't know this place...you might remember a certain black 911 TT that duked it out with Turbo Tito (white 911 TT) back in the earlier days of import drag at E Town? The car is owned by the owner of "The Shop".....they do some insane builds there. Tuning was done by another good friend, Junior Barrios, whom I've also known for a long time. One of the best tuners I know, listens to exactly what you wants, and does it right. I have recommend a ton of our local NA and FI customers to him, and all have walked away with terrific results.

Anyway, here is the sheet:

As you can see from the sheet, it pulls very, very nicely, from about 3500 to redline, which is currently set at 8,000. The tune was done on pump gas. It also was insanely humid yesterday too, so I am looking forward to going back as we test more parts for the car, and hopefully get a bit cooler of a day with lower humidity, just to see the results

What does it feel like? Compared to where it was before (268 whp), it's a completely different animal! It pulls with reckless abandon to redline, and just loves to be rev'd out. Power is also very very linear...it just keeps pulling. The combination of the lightened internals, the lighter clutch (saved about 25 lbs there alone), the lighter pulley, and the 3.9 gears is an absolute BLAST!

Anyway, that's what I have to report so far. In the upcoming weeks I plan on testing a new throttle body, and I am very much looking forward to putting the Cosworth intake manifold through it's paces. I'm now determined to see what can really be unlocked from the motor having met the goal for round 1. My overal "cause" won't change...I want an absolutely streetable car, that runs on pump gas, with good driveability characteristics, but with a substantial increase in power. The NA game is very time consuming, as it takes alot more research, and sometimes alot more work than going FI, but I welcome the challenge, and hopefully, what we find will benefit the community as a whole. In addition to what you see above, the car has undergone a complete remodelling, with new wheels, new brakes, new body kit, and I'll be showing pics once the paintwork is complete (we're starting prep work this weekend with any luck). I am hopeful you guys will like the final result...as I picture it in my head, I think you will! Right now, I'm going to wash her down and take her for a ride.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 09-20-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:59 PM
MEECHIN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats again bro.

Those plots are soooooo smoooooth!!!
No hiccups or pinging whatsoever!

That's some awesome power off 93 octane man.
*golf clap*

Wish i was nearby so i could go for a ride.

Take it easy mang!
-DRU

PS. Crawford Headers PITA to install, agreed?
Old 07-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

ADAM FOR PRESIDENT!
Old 07-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kwame@z1
ADAM FOR PRESIDENT!
lolol - hardly....we had lots of help But, I am glad that what I set out to do at the initial stage has now been met, and it gives me a good platform to continue on
Old 07-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Woo hoo!
Old 07-06-2007, 03:05 PM
350Z84

Awesome write-up. Does it sound different?
Old 07-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 350Z84
Awesome write-up. Does it sound different?
sounds nothing like it ever did before.....absolutely fantastic, and very "exotic" if that word can be used. I'll try to get some vids posted (honestly I have no idea how to even connect my ancient camcorder to the computer but I'll figure something out lol)
Old 07-06-2007, 03:10 PM
350Z84

Yes, must post vids!!
Old 07-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Grommit

Nice job!

Please do get some video with quality sound!
Old 07-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Jason@Riverside
Vendor - Former Vendor

Very nice... keep up the project!
Old 07-06-2007, 03:23 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Al? @ the shop?
Old 07-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by doug
Al? @ the shop?
hehehe...Al was there yesterday doing an Evo, but no, we just used the dyno, since I've known Jimmy (the owner) for a long time. Junior Barrios did the tuning for me.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:25 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

oh i don't know them personally.. i just remember seeing their names on SupraForums about "the shop"
Old 07-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Nismo 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adam- amazing amazing work. I remember reading one of your posts a while back how you were planning a nice NA build. That graph looks fckin awesome. Cant wait to see your vids. Few questions though. I noticed that you are using the stock OEM valves. Can they handle the abuse all the way up to 8krpm? Also if u pulled 303whp with the UTEC, wouldnt u be able to make more power by using a standalone like the vpro or motec? Also are u still using the stock VTC pullies? If u are, I am sure more power can be made by using the Nismo ones. Then again..you know what you are doing since its your build.

PS...that 1/4 plenum spacer must really help the intake breathe! Tony any chance of releasing this? lol. Once again, great job Adam. Use the road less traveled.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

thanks man, appreciate it

we saw no reason the stock valves won't take the revs. It's not really so much the valve, its the crank (which we know can take alot of revs), and the overall balance of the bottom end thats more critical. We shaved weight everywhere off the rotating assembly to make sure it can take sustained high rpm use. Everyone who was in the car yesterday said the same thing....that it is just so smooth even at 8k.

With respect to the ecu, I don't see what a V Pro could do for me yet that the UTEC doesn't. While it does have more resolution, at the end of the day it's an NA car and there really is only so much you can take advantage of.

VTC gears are bone stock, since right now there is no ecu that will manipulate the angles. I am hoping that the software from UpRev comes out (I have emailed them but never got a response), that would let me map the VTC with their software and use the UTEC for the rest. I think some more torque can be had down low through VTC manipulation, but it won't really bring any top end power to the overall picture. Right now though, the car idles very nicely at 940 rpm (via Cipher) with just a touch of lope, and even in stop and go traffic there are zero issues.

Yeah the spacer is small..I don't even think Tony sells it anymore, I got it so long ago and never put it on. Given what I've seen on my own particular setup, going to a larger one really will have no benefit. It did its job of helping is equalize the volume going into the head. But you should see what the plenums themselves look like now.....we did porting, shaving, even filling to increase velocity into the heads as much as possible...the speed is where it's at!
Old 07-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great work Adam
Old 07-06-2007, 03:50 PM
maximumsportZ

Great job Adam. I remember you showing me pics and talking about it to me during the build, it was hard to keep my mouth shut but I did.

Those are some great numbers, so when is the spray going in???
Old 07-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by maximumsportZ
Great job Adam. I remember you showing me pics and talking about it to me during the build, it was hard to keep my mouth shut but I did.

Those are some great numbers, so when is the spray going in???
you know what, I've never ever used NOS....who knows, but first I want to max it out NA
Old 07-06-2007, 04:29 PM
da mayor

i cant wait to really hear this thing! see you tomorrow
Old 07-06-2007, 05:13 PM
THE TECH

Good numbers, very nice.

Quick Reply: NA Build Inside....Soup to Nuts :)