Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Pulley Insall.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:43 PM
BabyZiLLa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulley Insall.

Please this is not a discussion on weather you believe in light weight pulleys or not..

For those that do.. Everyone says the install makes or breaks it.. What exactly do you need to be carefull of installing the puleys? I mean they just slide on pretty much.. As long as you've got it the right way..

What else should i be concerend with?

Cheers
Old 02-02-2008, 02:17 AM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone does not say that. If you screw up the installation, EVERY mod will be predestined to fail.

There is nothing tricky about a pulley install. Removal of the old pulley is always the most difficult, especially for the slip fit pulleys, like the crank. Assuming you got the bolt(s) loose, pull the pulley off straight back. DON'T pry it or you may damage something. I have always used a gear puller where appropriate, and it always worked. Observe the keyway, if one exists. Always observe the torque values of the bolt(s).

The second most common mistake I've read about on the crank pulley is under-torquing. It may eventually come loose and wobble. Make sure you put the belt on square and routed properly, and you need to tension the belt(s) properly. Improper belt tension is the most common mistake. Too tight or too loose have possible consequences.

And, oh yea, make sure the replacement pulley belongs on that shaft. Just because someone sold it to you, and just because many people have done it, does not mean it is good for your engine. Remember, most owners of the Z do NOT ever remove any pulleys, and those that have problems with pulleys or belts, have probably replaced a pulley.

Last edited by undrgnd; 02-02-2008 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:48 AM
BabyZiLLa

Thats perfect. Exactly what i needed to know..

What i meant was i hear alot of people saying theres nothing wrong with Lightweight pulleys. It's pulleys that are installed incorrectly. Just wanted to know what "incorrectly" was for such a simple install.

This sums it up.

Cheers
Old 02-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Dave B

Originally Posted by BabyZiLLa
What i meant was i hear alot of people saying theres nothing wrong with Lightweight pulleys. It's pulleys that are installed incorrectly. Just wanted to know what "incorrectly" was for such a simple install.
That's because those people are freaking idiots and clearly don't work on cars. I'm one that thinks installing non-dampened pullies is a total waste of money and time from own personal experience with UR UDP on my old VQ30.

Install of the pulley is easy......once you break the crank bolt loose. The basic process is this:

1) Let the engine completely cool. The crank will expand when hot and could make the pulley hard to get off.

2) Loosen the tensioners so you can remove the belts. Make sure you know what you're doing when loosening the tensioners because you can screw them up.

3) Break the crank bolt loose. Good luck with that because it's on there with about 150-165 ft/lbs. That's a lot of torque.

4) Once the bolt is off, the crank pulley should slide right off. Slide it off straght.

5) Using a thin flathead screwdriver, pry out the old crank seal and install a new one.

6) Slide on the new pulley. If it doesn't go on easily, then check to make sure you're putting it on straight and that the pulley is bored out correctly and that the key has adequate clearance.

7) Retorque the crank pulley bolt. The process is torque to something like 60 ft/lbs and then turn another 90 degrees or something like that. You'll have to confirm that. It basiclly works out to be 150+ ft/lbs.

8) Reinstall the belts, set the tensioners, check the belts for the correct deflection (this is very important), then tighten down the tensioners locking nuts.

Usually when people have problems with aftermarket pulleys, it's because the pulley wasn't manufactured correctly. A poorly made pulley can destroy a VQ. I've seen the aftermath on three different VQs. Usually what happens is the key slot on the pulley breaks, the pulley wobbles, and the balance of the crank gets completely out of whack. Then the crank snaps.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:07 AM
BabyZiLLa

I've seen your previous posts and I know your stance on the topic. So i can appreciate you putting that aside to answer the original question in depth like you just did.

Much appreciated.. That should almost be in the DIY section.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Ztalker

i've had my UR underdrive pulley installed for 4 years and not a single issue. One of the best mod for about 200 bucks.
Make sure the tranny is engaged in 6th gear before you unscrew the crank pulley bolt. All you need is a 22" breaker bar for the job.