Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Advice - Blown Motor / Stillen Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by russ713
Well, being that they probably didn't open the motor up, they can only be liable if it were parts THEY installed that failed. If something else in the motor failed, it's not their fault since it's just part of the game.

Parts fail, that's just how it is. Nothing lasts forever and you always take a chance when you modify anything. Be it a tiny chance or a big one, either way it's a chance you're taking and you should always have a back up plan. Boosting your ONLY vehicle is not a smart move.

Your friend went in too deep and let his excitement get the best of him.

I wish him the best of luck in getting things resolved.
^^Perfect honest answer. Anybody that feels otherwise doesnt have experience in this stuff. Stillen is grabage for blowing smoke up your unkowledgable buddie's a$$, but they arent responsible for this. Modding cars is a game and you pay to play. Good luck to your friend. Id sell the Stillen kit/any other parts, put in a used motor and sell the car.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:45 AM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcressey
I am looking for some advice on the best route to take. My friend bought my '06 Z and proceeded bolt on a Stage 3 Stillen supercharger kit. All the work was done by Stillen in Costa Mesa, CA.

Prior to getting all the work done he asked about the reliability and really emphasized that it would be his daily driver. Stillen insisted the car would run without a hitch for 200k miles with the setup they put on nit.

He had the car less than a month, and the bottom end spun a bearing. Stillen quoted him $18,000 to rebuild the motor

What would you guys recommend... he is sick and doesn't even want the car anymore.

1. Buy a used motor and drop it in, then part out the good parts of the bad motor and sell the supercharger kit
2. Put the car back to stock and take it to Nissan under warranty and hope they accept it
3. ?????
the techs at nissan are not stupid, you try that and see how fast they slap diagnostic fees on you for the hours of work they will do to figure out what happened.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:53 AM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reptile718
Maybe I missed something but why would Stillen need to remove the oil pan for the install?
With a standard install, they wouldn't. Kit doesn't even touch the oil pan or the engine's oil supply, so I see no reason why they would.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:55 AM
reptile718

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by helldorado
With a standard install, they wouldn't. Kit doesn't even touch the oil pan or the engine's oil supply, so I see no reason why they would.
Hence my reason for asking but the oil pan thing has been posted twice, guess some ppl don't know what they are talking about
Old 03-13-2008, 10:56 AM
reptile718

Originally Posted by Alberto
^^Perfect honest answer. Anybody that feels otherwise doesnt have experience in this stuff. Stillen is grabage for blowing smoke up your unkowledgable buddie's a$$, but they arent responsible for this. Modding cars is a game and you pay to play. Good luck to your friend. Id sell the Stillen kit/any other parts TO REPTILE718, put in a used motor and sell the car.
I couldn't agree more Alberto
Old 03-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

Was you friend smart enough to check the oil level RELIGOUSLY on his rev up? Low oil level = bearing starvation = spun bearing.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Dave B

Spun bearing? Sounds like someone mishifted.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:28 PM
track1z

Default I was gonna say the same thing.....OIL LEVEL

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Was you friend smart enough to check the oil level RELIGOUSLY on his rev up? Low oil level = bearing starvation = spun bearing.
When ever you add boost warrenty is thrown out the door! Who ever says they have a warrenty. I can almost guarantee they will come to find out its the drivers fault.

SHORT and SIMPLE
Old 03-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Lawy'dU

Stillen FTMFL!!!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:05 PM
jgregory124

hmmmm
Old 03-14-2008, 09:09 PM
BrazenZ

To the OP, Stillen stage 3 kit shouldn't make your engine spin a bearing. Something else happen. In your original post you said Stillen offer to re-built the engine for 18K. Tell me that didn't take it to them to diagnose the problem. If you did please get a second opinion or provide more details to what exactly happen. If I had to guess the most likely senario is that the heat exchanger sprang a leak while the engine was a moderate revs. In that case stillen could be liable for damages.

Last edited by BrazenZ; 03-28-2008 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:30 AM
G35GL450GSXR750

just asking, did stillen install 1 step colder spark plugs on your friends car?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:51 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by reptile718
Hence my reason for asking but the oil pan thing has been posted twice, guess some ppl don't know what they are talking about
Maybe they got a Supercharger confused with a Turbo kit?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:20 AM
RBlover69

stillens never blow engines there 100% reliable lmao
Old 03-20-2008, 08:06 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,650 Posts

probably oil starved
Old 03-27-2008, 07:06 PM
World Famous Z

It is sort of funny that I am reading this post while in my Ethics class lol...

In all honesty, it sucks the issue with the motor occured. SHOULD you have to pay to have it checked out, no, but do you NEED to do it, yes. REgardless of who is to blame now, your friend needs to get the issue diagnosed by a professional, and I highly recommend a dealership to get a solid idea of the issue.

Considering these engines out of the box already have potential to succumb to similar issues even in bone-stock form, I feel it would be REALLY hard to pinpoint an actual root cause. Unless you find a faulty fuel pump, leaking fuel injector (7h injector) or something similar, he is pretty much on his own. However, with this being said, he should probably still try and see what Stillen can offer or do for him ONCE THE CAR HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED. There is really nothing more to be said, that is step one, nothing can be done until the diagnosis is done....
Old 03-28-2008, 08:45 AM
DXJP

Am I getting this right he spun a bearing. Tell me how the fuel system has something to do with the oil system.

I dont think boost would have anything to do with a spun rod, a busted rod and or piston yes. have you done a compression test. Even with a spun rod if the piston is still connected there should be some compression. This will determine if its still all connected together and help diagnose the problem.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:47 PM
World Famous Z

Originally Posted by DXJP
Am I getting this right he spun a bearing. Tell me how the fuel system has something to do with the oil system.

I dont think boost would have anything to do with a spun rod, a busted rod and or piston yes. have you done a compression test. Even with a spun rod if the piston is still connected there should be some compression. This will determine if its still all connected together and help diagnose the problem.
This is true, if you know for certain what the issue is. I don't think he knows 100%, just guessing because he doesn't want to throw more money at it, and that frustration is understandable.

if it ends up being an oil related issue, then I highly doubt the stillen SC would at all be related. just IMO, but again, this is why spending a little $$$ to get answers is important.

oh, and I know that the stillen SC kit is limited in its capabilties etc etc.... but i've been running a stage 4 kit on my car for well over a year now, and have been FI for a few years, and have nearly 35k miles on my car with the blower, and no issues.....*knock on wood*