Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Top Secret J-Spec 350Z good for...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 08:37 PM
dnguyen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Top Secret J-Spec 350Z good for...

451 whp!!!!!

If this is old please ignore. This was found in the latest Turbo magazine at the news stand.

Engine mods mentioned include (off the top of my head) Top Secret's T...30... turbos w/all ball bearing shaft, some brands of blow-off valves and wastegates, and HKS FCon V .... I don't remember them mentioning what they used for ignition timing, extra fuel, and intercooler.

They did not mention anything relating to new internals. They also did not mention the new plenum, which resembles the classic Z32 twin turbo setup but with one channel from the throttle body (same location as factory) splitting into 2 channels feeding each of the 3 cylinders on each side.

All that power from 10 psi. The article also had dynos. I forgot to make a mental note of the redline, so someone else can post it.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:41 PM
Ricky
Banned

Top Secret is an awesome company but I would NOT put their FI products under my hood.

Did any of you wonder why they had to completely change plans from their old turbo kit? The one which put 465rwhp @ 19psi? Because it blew 3 engines EASY.

451hp@10psi... with stock internals, I give the engine 2 weeks tops.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:45 PM
350zdanny

Top Secret makes some of the fastest cars in the world. I'm sure they know what they're doing. The cars they keep for themselves are always tuned to the brink of catastrophic failure. It's how they make their name.

If they sell a kit, it will not be the same as the prototype.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:25 AM
MATIX

Originally posted by Ricky
Top Secret is an awesome company but I would NOT put their FI products under my hood.

Did any of you wonder why they had to completely change plans from their old turbo kit? The one which put 465rwhp @ 19psi? Because it blew 3 engines EASY.

451hp@10psi... with stock internals, I give the engine 2 weeks tops.
Top secret isnt going to sell a kit that will kill the motor in two weeks, the only thing that keeps breaking on the engines is the rods, which is the weak point on the VQ35...and this isnt just Top Secret thats breaking rods, from my contact at Apexi he tells me that the guys at apex japan have been snapping rods on all the VQ's with FI. Top Secret is obviously redesigining the kit so it doesnt blow the motor, which is why theyre doing so much R&D for it, I would feel completely confident runnin a Top Secret turbo kit, and may just end up getting one as soon as its available.
Old 06-27-2003, 05:35 AM
jran76

Originally posted by MATIX
Top secret isnt going to sell a kit that will kill the motor in two weeks, the only thing that keeps breaking on the engines is the rods, which is the weak point on the VQ35...and this isnt just Top Secret thats breaking rods, from my contact at Apexi he tells me that the guys at apex japan have been snapping rods on all the VQ's with FI. Top Secret is obviously redesigining the kit so it doesnt blow the motor, which is why theyre doing so much R&D for it, I would feel completely confident runnin a Top Secret turbo kit, and may just end up getting one as soon as its available.
Agreed, where do people get the idea that Top Secret would put out a kit that would take your engine out in a week. Top Secret is one of the most respected tuners in the world. IF they have blown 3 engines, it was in the name of testing, and better them than you.

I will bet my car that a Top Secret kit on stock internals will run at 10psi for a lot longer than 2 weeks. I think people seriously underestimate the power of good equipment and a good tuner. There are Maxima's with the VQ30 running 12+psi for over a year, so....
Old 06-27-2003, 07:28 AM
dnguyen

Originally posted by MATIX
Hey Matix,

I am assuming that you either work for or have a close relationship with Top Secret, so I have some questions for you regarding the VQ35DE:
  1. Does the VQ have iron or aluminum sleeves if any?
  2. Can you provide pics of the internals next to corresponding parts from a reference vehicle, say Z32?
  3. Do you have any detailed information on the internals of the VQ?
  4. Have you guys tried valve swaps with the Q45's engine?

If you can provide this info, we'd consider you VQ King and worship you...
Old 06-27-2003, 08:55 AM
racingdynamcs

someone on the boards did a TT for their VQ35 ... can anyone find out if they are sleaved with iron? i think they are because i was reading in some magazine that the VQ35 had aluminium block but sleaved with iron.

rods braking is not a big thing..they are not hard to replace...just a lot of work.

i think if the VQ35's engine goes from 10.3 : 1 compression to a 9:1 it will be better set for a turbo setup...because 10:3 is a lil high for a good turbo set up...
i was talking to some guys at a mr2/supra shop in NJ and they told me that the perfect compression for a turbo engine is 9:1 or below...

(My friend says this...)

making a turbo kit is not hard...making it work with stock internals is stupid because tha brings the reliability of the engine way down...

pistons-n-rods/to create the 9:1)manifolds/downpipes/exhaust/intake/turbo's/ic/ic-piping/cams/ then you ceramic coat the exhaust side of the turbo's, the exhaust manifold should be ceramic coated,as well as the valve heads/coat in and outside of the downpipes...after that take it to a dyno and tune it...

i think you should be set with a serious motor...

Last edited by racingdynamcs; 06-27-2003 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:09 AM
racingdynamcs

by the way i called nissan of englewood and asked them if the VQ35DE is iron sleaved they said...NO!

the guy said told me infinity tells them the engine block is intirely made from aluminum ... so that puts the iron sleaved theory to death...unless the guy had no idea what he was being asked...
Old 06-27-2003, 09:16 AM
f r e z N Y

steel sleeves. aluminum block
Old 06-27-2003, 09:18 AM
racingdynamcs

steal??? i though it was iron... heh oh well...

back i go..
Old 06-27-2003, 09:23 AM
f r e z N Y

Originally posted by racingdynamcs
steal??? i though it was iron... heh oh well...

back i go..
I might be getting too much information crossed, but there are definately "non-aluminum" sleeves
Old 06-27-2003, 10:30 AM
J Ritt

racingdynamcs,
How on earth is consistently breaking rods not a big thing?!?!? I think if you put one through the side of the cylinder wall, it would cause a few issues! I'm very curious about what you consider a big thing.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:46 AM
racingdynamcs

I ment that meaning ... If i do the Twin Turbo set up for my G35 i would replace the rods with extra stregth rods from a race egineering company...many of them will create custom rods for your car...

i picked up a race engineering magazine few months back and inside there were about 10 companies that would do it and all have race proven products...
Old 06-27-2003, 11:28 AM
MATIX

Originally posted by dnguyen
Hey Matix,

I am assuming that you either work for or have a close relationship with Top Secret, so I have some questions for you regarding the VQ35DE:
  1. Does the VQ have iron or aluminum sleeves if any?
  2. Can you provide pics of the internals next to corresponding parts from a reference vehicle, say Z32?
  3. Do you have any detailed information on the internals of the VQ?
  4. Have you guys tried valve swaps with the Q45's engine?

If you can provide this info, we'd consider you VQ King and worship you...
Sorry, no worshipping for me...I dont work for Top Secret, I'm just a big fan of their products and respect them highly as tuners....as far as the internals go, the VQ35 has steel sleeves.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:33 AM
racingdynamcs

The engine is bulletproof =)

800RWHP here i go...

Old 06-27-2003, 12:11 PM
350zdanny

I think I'm just gonna go with standard 8.5:1 ratio pistions if I do go turbo. Jun and Mine's make them specifically for FI setups, and i think Mine's even has springs and retainers that the bundle with pistons and rods for a pretty nice engine package. I'm not positive about that though.

I spoke with some of the guys from Top Secret a little while back and they said the prototype kit still needs a considerable amount of tuning (that was right when the Turbo Magazine came out). They wouldn't disclose pricing to me either. If they decide to offer only titanium manifolds, that will add a considerable amount to the price. I'm expecting a kit superior to the Greddy kit for a premium of about $2000.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:14 PM
MATIX

I've actually heard that the top secret kit is only gonna go for around 3200...
Old 06-27-2003, 12:16 PM
racingdynamcs

anyone hear anything about the HKS kit?
Old 06-27-2003, 04:19 PM
350zdanny

I've actually heard that the top secret kit is only gonna go for around 3200...
Where did you hear that? That would be spectacular! I just don't really think they can hit that mark though. They were using pretty nice turbo's on the prototype, in addition to titanium manifolds as i said, and the HKS Fcon is pretty expensive, plus you'll need an intercooler and maybe even forged rods. Even if they nix the titanium, steel will still be pretty expensive.

I don't think they can hit 3200 for a bolt on kit, maybe a partial kit.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:30 PM
toykilla

i really hope both the greddy and top secret hit the market at the same time (soon!) so i am not tempted to get the first one and regret not waiting for the other one

i will most likely be one of the first guinea pigs though

Quick Reply: Top Secret J-Spec 350Z good for...