Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Changing Oil: Crush Washer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:00 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blastoff99
Question about this, roast. Unless you are changing your oil and filter really often, why buy filters in quantity? I realize you probably get a small "case discount," but it can't amount to much. My theory is to get the newest filter possible, and if I've got three years' worth hanging around in my closet (or worse yet, my garage), they're just going to be picking up moisture from the air, and perhaps compromising the effectiveness of the element.

Your thoughts?

(to the OP: thanks for the question, and sorry for the hijack.)
Mainly because I don't like hassles. I have them delivered to my doorstep. It's more efficient and economical to order them by the dozen. I'm not going to go to a dealership or an auto-parts store every time I need to change my oil. (call me lazy? ) The filters I have come sealed from the elements. A few years on a shelf is nothing compared to what it gets put through on the car. If it cant last a few years on a shelf, I sure as hell wouldn't be putting something that sub par on my car. Besides, if shelf life was a valid issue, they would put an expiration date on the box.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:16 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy them by the case on eBay, individually Saran-wrap them when they arrive. Last forever in the garage or anywhere else. They don't need to be 'fresh', they're not food.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:59 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I've never used crush washers either. I'm sure it's not a bad idea or doesn't hurt to have the added security. However, I did have a small oil leak with my previous Purolator oil filter on my Nissan Frontier. I changed it to a Mobile 1 filter. I've gotta change the oil today. We'll see how it's holding up.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:57 AM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by undrgnd
Buy them by the case on eBay, individually Saran-wrap them when they arrive. Last forever in the garage or anywhere else. They don't need to be 'fresh', they're not food.

The OEM Nissan filters come wrapped.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:12 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vo7848
I've never used crush washers either. I'm sure it's not a bad idea or doesn't hurt to have the added security. However, I did have a small oil leak with my previous Purolator oil filter on my Nissan Frontier. I changed it to a Mobile 1 filter. I've gotta change the oil today. We'll see how it's holding up.

You use a washer for the oil filter?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 AM
mikead_99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06dieselZ
whered you get these washers at???
I think one of the vendors on here (Performance Nissan?) sells a 5 or 10 pack for a buck or two. I forget, I was planning to buy a pack of them from there but swung by my local dealership and they gave me 3 or 4. I went back like a year later, willing to buy them again, but they just handed me another dozen of them and sent me on my way.