Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Installed 3.9 FD and worse acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:55 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by raditz
I will make a log with my UTEC to get shifting times and will post here, could be a good idea for compare, isn't it?
No-last time I checked the UTEC didnt log shifts times lol...
Old 03-31-2008, 11:16 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just installed the 3.9 FD on my revup, and tested it with a friends nonrevup Z, and now I have worse acceleration than before. Now all the advantage that I take on him thanks to the shorter gearing, I loose it in the moment that I change sooner than him.

All the Z that have installed the 3.9 FD in Spain have the same problem...is that normal aswell there in the States???
How are you and your friend racing? You should gain the distance (and more) back when he shifts.

If you just race a short difference, it might look like he's faster because you have the shift first. Go to the track and race him for a quarter mile where you'll both have to shift several times. If you're racing a similar car and you have to shift and he doesn't, he will always look faster. You need to race for a longer distance.

Another thing is that your car might spin the tires more in low gear now. You might need to alter your starting line driving technique or get better tires.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:31 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just watched Alberto's Vids. Pretty cool how quickly he shifts, and he def makes a good point here. Much Props!

With that said, a Tutorial from Alberto?????
Old 03-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
any datalogger can show shifts and you can judge by the graph how terrible your shifting is. it'll be a big dip
Old 03-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

But if one datalogger takes less samples per second then that could also affect the "lag" you see....either way its a silly way to measure it. I could watch an out of car video of somebody and listen for it and provide advice....
Old 03-31-2008, 09:52 PM
raditz

With UTI you get the timestamp in the logs, you can use it to measure shifting times
Old 03-31-2008, 09:54 PM
raditz

Originally Posted by __jb
How are you and your friend racing? You should gain the distance (and more) back when he shifts.

If you just race a short difference, it might look like he's faster because you have the shift first. Go to the track and race him for a quarter mile where you'll both have to shift several times. If you're racing a similar car and you have to shift and he doesn't, he will always look faster. You need to race for a longer distance.

Another thing is that your car might spin the tires more in low gear now. You might need to alter your starting line driving technique or get better tires.
Yes, that is another good point, my car now is more complicated to launch and spin tires easely.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:19 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have just installed the 3.9 FD on my revup, and tested it with a friends nonrevup Z, and now I have worse acceleration than before. Now all the advantage that I take on him thanks to the shorter gearing, I loose it in the moment that I change sooner than him.

All the Z that have installed the 3.9 FD in Spain have the same problem...is that normal aswell there in the States???
I think your crazy, my 4.08's makes my car accelerate so damn fast it's insane (when it actually gets grip).
Old 04-01-2008, 07:15 AM
ke0ki2k

I raced a couple WRX's with full boltons and we were all dead even before my 4.08's...still dead even after until I got into the powerband in 4th and I really walked off bad, worse than I did on him when we were both stock. the tighter gearing really only helps me with coming out of corners....i'm at a higher RPM than I was before so I've got more power on tap. it really helps with Solo II stuff, I wouldve been a good second and two or three tenths slower with my stock final drive ratio (around a high 30's course).

Last edited by ke0ki2k; 04-01-2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:42 PM
GrayG35

for some reason my 5at g35 is a bit slower when racing my friends 6mt 350z after getting my 3.53 pumpkin installed. its good from a stop but by top of 3rd its dead.. we usually go neck and neck till 120 but now once i hit 4th its all over for me. not trying to thread jack but since were on the subject already...
Old 04-01-2008, 03:57 PM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by davidv
No just the Spanish 3.9 final drive makes the car slower. The American version makes it faster.
^^- lol, smartass.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:42 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will have to disagree with everyone...

I think its your shifting

Later
Todd
Old 04-01-2008, 11:59 PM
WangZ808

Denial is the 1st step in realizing you may suck ***** at racing...we've all been through it.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:36 AM
raditz

I have datalogged a launch and I have a best shift time of 0,3 seconds and a worse of 0,5, this time is from WOT to WOT.

I also have used a Car Performance Software, introduced the data of my car with both gears, and doesn't matter what shifting time you tell the program to use, the 3.5 gearing accelerates faster in 400m, 1000m, 2000m...
Old 04-02-2008, 02:34 AM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its your shifting. You are losing more ground because you are shifting more often and you arent good at it. If you could learn to NOT lose momentum during shifts, you would be faster at all mph and rpm's and wouldnt fall back at those spots.

I am not being mean, just honest, I know EVERYBODY can drive like pro's online....

edit-before anybody steps in and tries to say "driving from a roll isnt a big factor", its HUGE, as can be seen below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gafwal26KU
Sure shifts make a difference, but you were pulling from the beginning before any shifts were made.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by Sensi09
Sure shifts make a difference, but you were pulling from the beginning before any shifts were made.
Thats not the point. The point is look how better shifting can make 5+ cars difference. And thats with only 2 shifts involved! From a 1st gear roll its an even bigger difference.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:26 AM
raditz

Thats not the point. The point is look how better shifting can make 5+ cars difference. And thats with only 2 shifts involved! From a 1st gear roll its an even bigger difference.
But what would happend if the other driver shifts as fast as you? is then the 3.9 FD worth it?

What I was trying to say with that post is that ME (with my shift times) made better acceleration with the 3.5 FD than with the 3.9
Old 04-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

But what would happend if the other driver shifts as fast as you? is then the 3.9 FD worth it?

What I was trying to say with that post is that ME (with my shift times) made better acceleration with the 3.5 FD than with the 3.9
I know what your point is, I could have told you that before. If both drivers are equal the 3.9FD car will win 9 times out of 10
Old 04-02-2008, 10:20 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Well let's be fair - differences are exaggerated in your car because of the turbo. You are maintaining momentum in all aspects of the drivetrain and turbo as you shift. That's a huge plus as you maintain energy levels in turbo and engine...

As food for thought, raising the rev limiter a bit as you raise the FD ratio can help mitigate the difference in shift points.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
Well let's be fair - differences are exaggerated in your car because of the turbo. You are maintaining momentum in all aspects of the drivetrain and turbo as you shift. That's a huge plus as you maintain energy levels in turbo and engine...

As food for thought, raising the rev limiter a bit as you raise the FD ratio can help mitigate the difference in shift points.
there is no need to be fair, it clearly shows the difference between shifting and maintaining momentum and losing momentum, which was the point. it does not matter turbo or not, you lose momentum Alberto's is the only clear cut visual aid to the difference.

and raising the rev limiter has already been brought up.

Quick Reply: Installed 3.9 FD and worse acceleration