Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Installed 3.9 FD and worse acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:28 AM
raditz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed 3.9 FD and worse acceleration

I have just installed the 3.9 FD on my revup, and tested it with a friends nonrevup Z, and now I have worse acceleration than before. Now all the advantage that I take on him thanks to the shorter gearing, I loose it in the moment that I change sooner than him.

All the Z that have installed the 3.9 FD in Spain have the same problem...is that normal aswell there in the States???
Old 03-31-2008, 09:12 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its your shifting. You are losing more ground because you are shifting more often and you arent good at it. If you could learn to NOT lose momentum during shifts, you would be faster at all mph and rpm's and wouldnt fall back at those spots.

I am not being mean, just honest, I know EVERYBODY can drive like pro's online....

edit-before anybody steps in and tries to say "driving from a roll isnt a big factor", its HUGE, as can be seen below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gafwal26KU
Old 03-31-2008, 09:17 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

+1 on driving.

On a NA car try no-lift shifting. My 3.9FD was fantastic at pulling me ahead of faster cars, but it was the biggest difference at the auto-X events.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:19 AM
coachk
Banned

Like Bert said, no granny shifting and you'll be fine. Just don't break the shifter
Old 03-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend not trying no lift shifts at first... just a thought.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:10 AM
raditz

Well, if I left on a side the fact than if I shift fast or slow, what my post was triying to mean is that, before the install of the 3.9 FD my car accelerated the same than my friend's, and now it's like his one is faster. Both drivers are the same, so the conditions are also the same, just my 3.9 FD.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 AM
Motormouth
Banned

and what we are saying is that you only think his car is now 'faster' because when you shift (slowly we assume) that he gains ground on you. it is not because your car lost power persay.

do a single gear run, like in 3rd, where you don't shift, and you should accelerate faster.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

No 2 drivers are the same. You may have been equal in the races before, you are now slower for reasons I stated above.

Denial is the 1st step in realizing you may suck ***** at racing...we've all been through it.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:18 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

^admitting it is the first step
Old 03-31-2008, 10:25 AM
raditz

Originally Posted by Alberto
No 2 drivers are the same. You may have been equal in the races before, you are now slower for reasons I stated above.

Denial is the 1st step in realizing you may suck ***** at racing...we've all been through it.
Yea, Alberto, I know that 2 drivers are never the same, what I mind is that I am the same as before and he also just one thing changed from the equation, the gearing.

I start pulling a little over him in a gear, but I have to shift sooner than him, and then he caughts me again, next gear again and again
Old 03-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Get_Zwole

you may have had the faster car before and now its just showing because you shift slow. Work on your shifting the 3.9 should give you more of an edge on him.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Gooey

Originally Posted by raditz
Yea, Alberto, I know that 2 drivers are never the same, what I mind is that I am the same as before and he also just one thing changed from the equation, the gearing.

I start pulling a little over him in a gear, but I have to shift sooner than him, and then he caughts me again, next gear again and again
theres your problem...I know its hard to take in sometimes to admit your own mistakes and flaws but you have to do it sometimes.

When I switched out my gears it was a night and day difference.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:34 AM
raditz

Originally Posted by Motormouth
and what we are saying is that you only think his car is now 'faster' because when you shift (slowly we assume) that he gains ground on you. it is not because your car lost power persay.

do a single gear run, like in 3rd, where you don't shift, and you should accelerate faster.
Yes, I have a little little more acceleration than before, but I also loose top speed in every gear, what means that I have to change sooner, lefting my car in a higher gear than him, and with less acceleration until the moment he changes to the same gear than me.

Do you think that the problem could be the top speed that you loose in every gear? increased redline will improve top speed...
Old 03-31-2008, 10:34 AM
Motormouth
Banned

so this was your QA testing: it's not the car, not the gearing... it's... shift times

just practice being faster and you'll beat him every time.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Yes, I have a little little more acceleration than before, but I also loose top speed in every gear, what means that I have to change sooner, lefting my car in a higher gear than him, and with less acceleration until the moment he changes to the same gear than me.

Do you think that the problem could be the top speed that you loose in every gear? increased redline will improve top speed...
lol, if you are looking for reasons to mod your car sure hahaha.

but seriously, as alberto and others said, just practice practice practice. when I shift slow, my friend in his evo would pull a fender, then next gear a car... and when I quickshift (no special technique, just moving faster) we stay even... that is a car I don't lose on him just from shifting technique. I wish I had pictures.

actually, check out Alberto's vids with him and EagleTan's car for a perfect example of this.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:42 AM
raditz

Originally Posted by Gooey
theres your problem...I know its hard to take in sometimes to admit your own mistakes and flaws but you have to do it sometimes.

When I switched out my gears it was a night and day difference.
Well I have no problem in admit a mistake but I never considered myself a "slow shifter" anyway the point that I'm triying to get is that if I were slow (shifting) before I continue being slow now or if now i'm fast is because I was fast before, so I'm the same, I shift at the same speed now than before, I'm not slower than before shifting...

Of course I can improve my aceleration shifting faster, that will happen using a short or hi gearing, but the problem is that I wasn't expecting to loose aceleration after the install of the FD, being equal in shifting.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:45 AM
raditz

Originally Posted by Motormouth
lol, if you are looking for reasons to mod your car sure hahaha.
hahaha yes, this could be a good reason to mod more my car, I'm just trying to convince myself to do so
Old 03-31-2008, 10:47 AM
raditz

I will make a log with my UTEC to get shifting times and will post here, could be a good idea for compare, isn't it?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:49 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All the Z that have installed the 3.9 FD in Spain have the same problem...is that normal aswell there in the States???
No just the Spanish 3.9 final drive makes the car slower. The American version makes it faster.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

You didnt notice this before because you were both shifting at basically the same time, or very close to one another. Essentially, you both lost momentum at the same time and the race went on.

Now that you shift sooner, your friend is still in powerband while you shift and the fall back is more noticable. He then shifts and you may stop his pull or pull back slightly, but then you shift and lose what you just gained.

ITS YOUR SHIFTING

Did you watch the video? I have a 3.3FD and he has a 3.5FD, notice even though I run a FD that technically makes me slower, I outrun him, and when we switch cars we are dead even....its you man, just go practice!

Quick Reply: Installed 3.9 FD and worse acceleration