Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Dealer Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:31 AM
Lento

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Oil Question

I took my car up for the first oil change today and told them to put Mobil 1 10W30 in. The guy said they didn't have Mobile 1 but they had Synthenol.....

When I got the slip back it said 5 quarts of Synthenol 5W 30

I went back in and asked why they didn't put 10W in. They said because it is warm out now it doesnt matter if it is 5 or 10 W.

I know next to nothing about oil but is this a big deal. Should I drive back up and demand they put 10W in. They have it too, they just said they put 5W in?

I do not track the car but I do drive it hard often. Is this going to screw up my engine in any way with the 5W instead of the 10W.

Next time I will just bring the Mobil 1 with me.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:37 AM
Neb

I would like to chime in and say I would like to know what the official "weight" and kind of oil you should be putting in these cars from the factory.

Unfortunately my car did not come with an owners manual and when I went to get one from the dealership they said they were on backorder.

But as far as the weight, he is kind of right in a sense.. but its your oil man. If you want a certain weight in there they should put it in for you, and if they dont have it - they should get it.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:45 AM
Lento

The owners manual says SAE 5W 30 is recommended...... but something doesn't sit right with me. Especially after reading all the oil posts and consistantly seeing 10W 30 or 40

Plus it was $100 bucks for a friggen oil change.... For a Nissan!!!

and they didnt even wash or vaccum my car

What a joke
Old 04-30-2008, 05:56 AM
chromesilver6

I run 5w 30 royal purple year round. I would suggest you learn to change your own oil, itll save you so much time and money and you will always now it was done right. Its nice to not have to count on someone else. Goodluck
Old 04-30-2008, 06:03 AM
Louis21

Originally Posted by Lento
The owners manual says SAE 5W 30 is recommended...... but something doesn't sit right with me. Especially after reading all the oil posts and consistantly seeing 10W 30 or 40

What a joke
Wow 100 bucks for an oil change?????? Damn...talk about getting R@ped I would go back and *****, did they use gold oil? I took it to Satan (aka dealership) and they charged me 19 bucks for the oil change..
Edit: I'd be thankful they didn't wash the car...as a matter of fact I'd be pissed if they did...but thats just me.

Last edited by Louis21; 04-30-2008 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:05 AM
adamw

What a joke
100 bucks!

Mine is $45, $25 if they're doing a promotion, and they wash if for you too
Old 04-30-2008, 06:17 AM
Lento

I would change my own oil, but I dont have anywhere to do it. I though $100 bucks was a rip off. I told the guy that and he told me the synthetic oil was expensive. It came to about 50 bucks for the oil and the other 50 was the filter, labor and disposal. Next time I know to bring some ductape for my butt cheecks!

He told me to just bring my own oil and filter next time and they would just charge me for labor.

O well live and learn.

I wouldnt want them washing my car either, but for that amount of coin they should at least offer it. If it was touchless I would do it just to get all the loose stuff off. and tell them not to have anyone dry it (after the air dry from the machine), then just wash it again when I got home.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:25 AM
Neb

is this 5w 30 fully synthetic? syn blend? or just regular old oil?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:28 AM
Marc Mc

+1000 on changing your own oil. My buddy always says he doesn't have the time, but I can change mine in a fraction of the time it takes him to drop it off and wait.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:30 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They said because it is warm out now it doesnt matter if it is 5 or 10 W.
Warm in Boston and warm in Tucson is 2 different kinds of warm.

Still you will be fine.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:31 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Neb
I would like to chime in and say I would like to know what the official "weight" and kind of oil you should be putting in these cars from the factory.

Unfortunately my car did not come with an owners manual and when I went to get one from the dealership they said they were on backorder.

But as far as the weight, he is kind of right in a sense.. but its your oil man. If you want a certain weight in there they should put it in for you, and if they dont have it - they should get it.
Get yourself a manual at Courtesy Nissan.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mobil 1 5w-30 is what I use.

Don't bother with 10w-30.

People have even used Mobil 1 0w-30 with great or better results.

The Owner's Manual recommends 5w-30.

Once you learn to change your own oil, it becomes extremely easy and you will feel confident that you have the right filter, oil, etc in/on your car.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:47 AM
Louis21

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z

Once you learn to change your own oil, it becomes extremely easy and you will feel confident that you have the right filter, oil, etc in/on your car.

I wish I could change my own oil too, unfortunately living in an apartment with very limited parking/space people (aka. Association) would have a shitfit if I started doing that outside.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Lento

Originally Posted by Louis21
I wish I could change my own oil too, unfortunately living in an apartment with very limited parking/space people (aka. Association) would have a shitfit if I started doing that outside.
Yup thats my problem too, oil makes a mess, plus I'm clumsy... bad combo
Old 04-30-2008, 07:00 AM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lived in an apartment too, but nobody cared when I work on the car. In fact, they think something is wrong when I'm NOT...
Old 04-30-2008, 07:07 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis21
Association? Environmentalists would attack you if you changed your oil?

Well, in all honesty... If you know what to do, you can change your oil in about 10 minutes without a single drop hitting the pavement. The filter and drain plug are very near, so one oil pan can cover both, and it's easily accessible when the car is raised up.

I'll make a good picture/text Oil Change DIY one of these days. I noticed noone had clear pictures up.

I'll be moving into an apartment this summer, and if anyone gives me crap (unless it's the apartment manager threatening to kick me out) I'll politely tell them to go away and mind their own business.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Master Shake

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z

As long as it doesn't get too cold outside, such as during the summer months, is there really that much of a difference between 5w30 and 10w30? I know it doesn't matter in Arizona, and many people actually go with 20w50 out here!

Also, do our Z's have zerk fittings that require grease/lube?
Old 05-01-2008, 12:25 AM
SoldzMyZ

http://www.courtesyparts.com/350z/capacities.html

check out the following regarding engine oil weight:
"SAE 5W-30 viscosity oil is preferred for all ambient temperatures. SAE 10W-30, 10W-40 viscosity oil may be used if the ambient temperature is above 0 degree F (-18 degree C)."

I use 10w30 and 5w30. I'm in socal so it never gets below 0 degrees F.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:37 AM
Pokémon

For something as simple as changing an oil, I do it myself.

That way I have the satisfaction that my car is in the right hands, correct oil/ filter, and none of that mickey mouse this isn't my car stealership $100 oil change eff you in the A type of b.s..

I've seen too many threads with, "they forgot to put in my dip stick" or "they dinged my door and scratched my wheels."

Quick Reply: Dealer Oil Question