Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Hanging RPMs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 AM
vinnycuz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanging RPMs?

After the installation of MREV2, Motordyne 5/18 Spacer, Crawford Upper and Injen CAI, I am having some weird RPM issues. Firstly, at idle I am running
around 850-1000 on a warm idle, the car can take off with just the
clutch and no gas as long as I feather the clutch slow. This never
happened before. Also, while in any gear, I notice when shifting to a
new gear, say the RPM is at 3K, I press in the clutch and then switch
to say 3rd the RPM suddenly drops to 2K fast then is ok. It does this
is every gear. I also noticed that when I am idle, if I rev up the
engine to say 5k it will hang for about 1 second then start to drop
normally. Then yesterday I noticed my Service Engine Soo light came on. Any ideas?

I tried to following thus far:

ECU Reset
TB Reset
Air Learning Reset
Old 05-01-2008, 09:53 AM
The Captain

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for any vacuum leaks in the engine. Also make sure you didn't pinch a hose or something. (You can also try the throttle body reset as I think the Motordyne install guide says that may help a rough idle)
Old 05-01-2008, 10:03 AM
vinnycuz

Originally Posted by rgeist554
Check for any vacuum leaks in the engine. Also make sure you didn't pinch a hose or something. (You can also try the throttle body reset as I think the Motordyne install guide says that may help a rough idle)
Yes I am sure there is no Vacuum leaks, at first I had one but I took it apart and used the Inch Torque Wrench to tighted everything down perfectly there there was no leaks and idle is ok, idle is steady but the RPM sticking (as I stated in the description of my first post) is weird. I tried the Throttle Body reset and the others about 4 times. It seemed from the guide, that it worked but I didn't see a difference besides the check engine light going away.

I have a TurboXS Utech I just picked up, should I get it installed right away? Would it help?
Old 05-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Your description sounds very much like a throttle body related issue.
The throttle body is a tweaky, tempermental little device.

If the butterfly valve plate is pushed on, or if the harness wires are pulled on it can throw a code real quick.

If you still have a problem even after a reset, my guess is it may be an intermittent connection at one of the harness wires. This can happen if one of the wires get pulled on. The crimp connections are not very strong.

Check your wires. Try to push them back in into the harness plug to see what it does.

I did this whole thing once before on my Z and I isolated the problem to the harness wire connections.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:02 PM
vinnycuz

Originally Posted by Hydrazine

If the butterfly valve plate is pushed on, or if the harness wires are pulled on it can throw a code real quick.

If you still have a problem even after a reset, my guess is it may be an intermittent connection at one of the harness wires. This can happen if one of the wires get pulled on. The crimp connections are not very strong.

Check your wires. Try to push them back in into the harness plug to see what it does.

I did this whole thing once before on my Z and I isolated the problem to the harness wire connections.
Thanks alot, I will test this out tomorrow. Good night all!
Old 05-06-2008, 07:07 AM
vinnycuz

Originally Posted by Hydrazine

Sounds like you were right. I finally had a chance to go to my Fathers Garage and clean the TB. I also installed a Crawford Front Strut Bar which I noticed was laying on the same cable that is connected to the TB. I relocated the wire a bit and insured all cables pushed in properly and connected securely.

Low and behold the idle is back to about 650 and it does not take off my itself nor hang on the RPM when reving it up.

Thank you for your help!
Old 05-06-2008, 07:17 AM
savvy

It is very refreshing when the sponsor is actively involved in threads like this and knows potential issues with their product and exactly how to fix them.