Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch Install Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 03:18 PM
ACI318

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch Install Problem

Ok here is what i have, I replaced my clutch with a JWT clutch with stock flywheel. Now when I start it it doesnt want to idle and has no response to throttle. I think it might have something to do with the sensor that is aiming at the flywheel, but it throws no check engine light. Any help would be appreicated.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2008, 09:48 AM
SteveZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ACI318
Ok here is what i have, I replaced my clutch with a JWT clutch with stock flywheel. Now when I start it it doesnt want to idle and has no response to throttle. I think it might have something to do with the sensor that is aiming at the flywheel, but it throws no check engine light. Any help would be appreicated.

Thanks
1. Remove battery cable and let it sit for 20-30 minutes, reattach. "No repsonse to throttle" on a fly-by-wire points to ECU is giving you the finger, cut its power for awhile and see if that helps, often cures a host of ills.

2. Was old FW removed for resurfacing? There is a specific orientation to the FW when reinstalled.

Normally I'd expect to hear this with a replacment FW and OEM clutch, it's the FW the ECU freaks out over and gives low idle.

This sounds more like something was not hooked back up the same if disconnecting the ECU power doesn't help.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:54 PM
ACI318

Yeah the flywheel was removed for resurfacing, but i did not see any thing on the flywheel that would make it have to go back on only one way. I tried removing the battery and even used a code scanner, the computer has no codes in it.

Does anyone know what that sensor that aims at the flywheel does?
Old 05-04-2008, 03:16 PM
pmohr

Yeah the flywheel was removed for resurfacing, but i did not see any thing on the flywheel that would make it have to go back on only one way. I tried removing the battery and even used a code scanner, the computer has no codes in it.

Does anyone know what that sensor that aims at the flywheel does?
That's the crank position sensor (CKPS), basically it tells the ECU where the crank is, and it references that to both cam position sensors (CPS) to determine ignition timing, CVTC advance, etc.

There are two alignment holes on the back of the flywheel, and a small dowel in the crank (where the flywheel bolts up); those need to be lined up, absolutely.

For example, I've seen a Z that had the flywheel installed 2 or 3 spots over from where the alignment pin should've sat...it ran (somehow), but just barely. Reported ~30 degrees of cam timing at idle. Moved the flywheel back, runs perfect.

Here's the JWT installation instructions for the flywheel alignment:

Get an OBD-II scanner that does more than just read codes, see what sort of cam timing the ECU shows at idle...should show your problem.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:10 PM
ACI318

Thanks that deffintly is my problem. The machine shop removed my mark when i sent it to them and i had to guess which way that flywheel lined up. Thanks for the response I will let you know on Monday if that fixes my problem.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:25 AM
SteveZ

Thanks that deffintly is my problem. The machine shop removed my mark when i sent it to them and i had to guess which way that flywheel lined up. Thanks for the response I will let you know on Monday if that fixes my problem.
DTC P0335 CKP SENSOR (POS) - Crankshaft Position Sensor

That's why I asked if your FW was removed, it does have an orientation that will cause problems when installed incorrectly.

Good luck!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:10 PM
ACI318

Thanks guys, I had the flywheel off about three holes. I lined it back up with the dowel pin and it ran great. I knew it had to be something stupid, just didnt want to take it back apart if i did not have to.

Thanks again for your help!!!