Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Vlsd instal diy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:10 AM
KaZ_77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vlsd instal diy?

Hey does anyone know where i can find this? I was looking for an hour last night here google and other Z forums. I gots a base and im trying to swap in the stock vlsd. Thanx for you replies.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:55 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KaZ_77
Hey does anyone know where i can find this? I was looking for an hour last night here google and other Z forums. I gots a base and im trying to swap in the stock vlsd. Thanx for you replies.
It's pretty straight forward, find a stock rear end from a wrecked 350Z take the whole pumpkin and swap it for yours.

Once under the car you'll pretty much see how straight forward it is.

With that being said, I just did a full turbo install, suspension work, exhaust, gauges, boost controller install, all by myself in my apartment garage.

When I did my rear end. I took the car to Function Tuned and had Dave do it for me. While it's straight forward and very basic, the rear end weighs A LOT, when working on it yourself, it could easily be dropped on top of yourself, if you have an extra set of hands and don't mind letting the rear end sit on your chest while trying to get it into place. Then go for it, I wasn't willing to do it, even after doing everything else myself.

Labor shouldn't be more then $120 or so. It's about a 1 hour job.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:01 AM
saberphx

But you can buy a nismo lsd for 750 from one of the vendors around here. Throw the vlsd away. And if you dont have a fully assembled pumpkin I wouldn't do the install yourself unless you have all the right tools. I know there is a tutorial somewhere on this website of someone taking apart their pumpkin.

Last edited by saberphx; 05-10-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:23 AM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by saberphx
But you can buy a nismo lsd for 750 from one of the vendors around here. Throw the vlsd away. And if you dont have a fully assembled pumpkin I wouldn't do the install yourself unless you have all the right tools. I know there is a tutorial somewhere on this website of someone taking apart their pumpkin.
Isn't there a bit more to it then a direct swap? I remember there being a catch going from a non LSD to a nismo rear.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:57 AM
KaZ_77

Originally Posted by saberphx
Thanx but i dont have 750
Old 05-10-2008, 10:58 AM
KaZ_77

Originally Posted by jeffie7
It's pretty straight forward, find a stock rear end from a wrecked 350Z take the whole pumpkin and swap it for yours.

Once under the car you'll pretty much see how straight forward it is.

With that being said, I just did a full turbo install, suspension work, exhaust, gauges, boost controller install, all by myself in my apartment garage.

When I did my rear end. I took the car to Function Tuned and had Dave do it for me. While it's straight forward and very basic, the rear end weighs A LOT, when working on it yourself, it could easily be dropped on top of yourself, if you have an extra set of hands and don't mind letting the rear end sit on your chest while trying to get it into place. Then go for it, I wasn't willing to do it, even after doing everything else myself.

Labor shouldn't be more then $120 or so. It's about a 1 hour job.
Thats what i was thinking but a shopdown here wants 500 for labor what a rip off
Old 05-10-2008, 01:15 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by KaZ_77
Thats what i was thinking but a shopdown here wants 500 for labor what a rip off
500 might be close if they are to remove the pumpkin, open it up, remove old gears, install new gears, reinstall pumpkin and go from there. However, again I do think there's more to it when swapping the gears from a base to the nismo.

BTW I paid 450 or so for my rear end, I felt I got a good deal. 500-600 for a LSD full pumpkin isn't bad.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:55 PM
KaZ_77

yea it isnt but if it is just a simple replace im gonna do it myself. I have the longstub and the pumpkin. I needed a DIY for the tools but i guess theres only one way to learn right?
Old 05-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Escobar

Received 152 Likes on 126 Posts

right, its all just bolts. just swap the pumpkin out.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:58 PM
KaZ_77

cool thanx guys