Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Oil Filter Stuck - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 07:59 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always hand tighten filters, if you have a leak, there's a problem.
Either the filters damaged, the old gasket from the old filter is stuck on the engine block (common problem) or there's something else between the filter and the block.

An oil filter strap wrench might help, something even better is rubber strap wrenches, I use them often and they're cheap

The quickest way of doing it is to take a screw driver with a sharp end or better yet, a pick, place it in the middle of the filter and hit it with a hammer, it should go straight through the filter and allow you to use it as a wrench.

For future reference.

As soon as you take the old oil filter off, check to see if the gasket is still in place.

Always rub oil over the new oil filter gasket, also fill the filter up 1/4 of the way with oil.

Always hand tighten, snug but not tight.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:23 AM
seekndestroy19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know how the sandwhich plate mounts to the block, but can you just take it off with the filter still on?? That way you can put the plate in a vise and have more room to work with
Old 05-14-2008, 10:07 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at sears they have universal oil filter removers. It's like a claw that adjusts around the filter, works like a champ if the filter is damaged or not. Cost like $13.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:58 PM
DMK

Originally Posted by RedBullRR
I use a Pair of Oil Filter Pliers I bought at AutoZone for 10 bucks. It's the best tool and works for every filter. I went thru all types even putting a screw in the filter to loosen it. This thing worked the best for tightening and loosening.

Here is a Link to one I found online quickly.

http://www.autobarn.net/xxxw-cal302.html

That's the exact tool that I was using and it crushed the grooves of the filter. But the pliers I had were barely small enough to clamp the outside of the filter. After the grooves went, the pliers would just keep sliding off as I turned it.

Btw, it's leaking where the filter base meets the sandwich adaptor. So, I don't think the rubber gasket is sealing for some reason. I'm going to try and buy every tool I can think of after I get off work: Vice grips, pipe wrench, strap wrench, etc.

Before I do actually get the filter off, should I drain my new oil first and reuse it after I put a new filter on? Or should I just put new oil in there after? Only thing I'm worried about is that the new drained oil will mix with some of the old oil (not much) still left in the oil catching tank.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:03 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by DMK
That's the exact tool that I was using and it crushed the grooves of the filter. But the pliers I had were barely small enough to clamp the outside of the filter. After the grooves went, the pliers would just keep sliding off as I turned it.

Btw, it's leaking where the filter base meets the sandwich adaptor. So, I don't think the rubber gasket is sealing for some reason. I'm going to try and buy every tool I can think of after I get off work: Vice grips, pipe wrench, strap wrench, etc.

Before I do actually get the filter off, should I drain my new oil first and reuse it after I put a new filter on? Or should I just put new oil in there after? Only thing I'm worried about is that the new drained oil will mix with some of the old oil (not much) still left in the oil catching tank.
Its fine, your oil pan also has that same old oil, I would buy some cheese cloth (food stores) lay it over a container and filter the oil just in case there's any pieces of metal or dirt in your oil drain container. Just to be safe.

As far as the filter goes, again I bet you have 2 gaskets, thats why it's leaking.

Again, rubber strap wrench FTW! not for every oil change, but for what you have with the messed up filter.

I use

Any auto parts store should have a multipack that has most standard sizes for around 10-15 bucks.
You can even use a torque wrench and install oil filters knowing you have the perfect torque.
Never again will you have issues with it stripping out.

P.S I for one would never use that adjustable filter wrench, anytime you use "adjustable" anything, you're asking for trouble. Just look at what happened to you, perfect example. If anything use

It's somewhat adjustable, but it doesn't need to grab anything, as long as the filters round you're good to go, it can't strip it since there's nothing to strip. I'd put that 2nd on my list however they're limited on size and you need 2-3 different ones if you do more then just your own car. I have 3. thankfully I have enough filter wrench ends (black caps) that I almost never need to use them... almost.

for the record I have 3 autos, and do oil changes on a few friends cars as with my gfs. I do oil changes pretty often. =)

Last edited by jeffie7; 05-14-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:05 PM
HondaKiller
Banned

i seriously hope your turning it the correct way, towards the rear of the car right?
Old 05-14-2008, 01:06 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DMK
I'm going to try and buy every tool I can think of after I get off work: Vice grips, pipe wrench, strap wrench, etc.
Screwdriver. No need to buy anything. The filter is shot already so why try to do it the pretty way.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:10 PM
DMK

Originally Posted by iStan
Screwdriver. No need to buy anything. The filter is shot already so why try to do it the pretty way.
So, just hammer it in the middle until it goes through one of the holes in the center and turn? What happens if that doesn't work and I just shear the filter in half?

Yes, I know how to turn a bolt. Right tight, left loose. I did manage to take the old filter off, lol.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

i like to use a sawed off shotgun when that happens...

little messy but it works.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:22 PM
SpoilsofWar

Originally Posted by DMK
So, just hammer it in the middle until it goes through one of the holes in the center and turn? What happens if that doesn't work and I just shear the filter in half?
Dude, you are way overthinking this. Have you ever seen a cross section of an oil filter? They are extremely thin walled - think soda can, they are a bit thicker then that. A screwdriver (I would recommend a flat head) will punch easily thru both sides, enabling you to use the exposed handle as a wrench. I promise you it will work, now get out in the garage and fix your car.

BTW, I have never had good luck with rubber strap wrenches on our car. There is just not a lot of room there to get good leverage with them. Also, a rubber strap will slip if the filter is already oily (as I would assume it is from your leak)
Old 05-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like you may have cross-threaded it ... if so, that could be costly to fix ...
Old 05-14-2008, 02:20 PM
iStan
ZR

^Shouldn't be that bad. A whole new sandwhich is like $40. The threaded 'bolt' should be less if you can find it.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:30 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
Dude, you are way overthinking this. Have you ever seen a cross section of an oil filter? They are extremely thin walled - think soda can, they are a bit thicker then that. A screwdriver (I would recommend a flat head) will punch easily thru both sides, enabling you to use the exposed handle as a wrench. I promise you it will work, now get out in the garage and fix your car.

BTW, I have never had good luck with rubber strap wrenches on our car. There is just not a lot of room there to get good leverage with them. Also, a rubber strap will slip if the filter is already oily (as I would assume it is from your leak)
Rubber strap wouldn't be good for normal oil changes, however, if his car was here and the filter was in the shape it's in, that would be the first thing I'd reach for.

Rubber slips easily, however, if you wear gloves while doing oil changes, you'd know that if you wipe the filter off with a paper towel, the latex gloves grip REALLY well, almost like a rubber pad on top of a food type jar. believe it or not, it really grabs well.

oil will make it slip, but paper towels fix that easily.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:50 PM
DMK

Success. Just used the screwdriver and hammer method and it works, but its really messy.

I could see how the oil filter could indeed shear in half if the filter was on tight enough and you put too many holes in it.

Seems like the culprit was a bad rubber seal. I took it out and it looked a little deformed, not in a perfect circular shape. Used a cheapo fram filter, but it worked and I am happy.

Damn, this was demoralizing.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:51 PM
iStan
ZR

Bout time. Damn.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:00 PM
phreaktor
¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I was gonna say lift weights until you get strong enough to take it off by hand.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:13 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by DMK
Success. Just used the screwdriver and hammer method and it works, but its really messy.

I could see how the oil filter could indeed shear in half if the filter was on tight enough and you put too many holes in it.

Seems like the culprit was a bad rubber seal. I took it out and it looked a little deformed, not in a perfect circular shape. Used a cheapo fram filter, but it worked and I am happy.

Damn, this was demoralizing.
Fram FTL!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:17 PM
mikez97

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
i like to use a sawed off shotgun when that happens...

little messy but it works.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:33 PM
DMK

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Fram FTL!
lol, OEM Nissan Oil Filter Seal FTMFL.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:27 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by DMK
lol, OEM Nissan Oil Filter Seal FTMFL.
OEM Nissan filters have a round o ring style gasket, not a flat gasket that tends to come off every other oil change.

all 3 of my autos use o ring style gaskets and I've never had a single issue with any of them.

I'll say it again, there was more to it then just the filter not sealing right. again either you double stacked gaskets or the filter was damaged to start with. I have a hard time believing there was an issue getting an o-ring to mate up with a flat surface.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Stuck - Advice Needed