Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Oil Filter Stuck - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:35 AM
seZy350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rightie tightie lefty loosey.. but seriously make sure you didnt double gasket it ( meaning old filter gasket didnt get left on the filter housing while you put the new filter on as well)
Old 05-15-2008, 07:07 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seZy350
rightie tightie lefty loosey.. but seriously make sure you didnt double gasket it ( meaning old filter gasket didnt get left on the filter housing while you put the new filter on as well)
That would be so funny if it once again has 2 gasket. see if he blames it on the OEM filter again.

Many years ago I did that and it didn't start to leak until I got a few miles down the road. I noticed it once the oil light came on.

It only takes once, I'll never do another oil change with out inspecting the old filter, and if its someone elses car I always inspect where the oil filter goes to make sure no old gaskets were left behind from before.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:16 PM
DMK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, the old gasket was not on there or else I would have noted it. I checked the surface of the sandwich plate and the stuck filter gasket and they both looked fine. I doubt I damaged the filter because I took it out of the box, oiled it and put it on right away.

So, either the filter was not manufactured correctly or I screwed it on wrong. It's not that hard to screw on, and I did hand tighten it the first time.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just used giant pliers and bent the sh*t out of my stock filter.
Now I use K&N filters, and the bolt head on the end is amazing.

Remember the wet the rubber seal on the new filter with a bit of new oil before you tighten it on.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:19 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by iStan
Bah. Gloves, Screwdriver. You'll be good to go. Just get some spare oil.
Whack a screwdriver through the filter.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I once helped a guy do a tune-up on his Expedition. That damn remote mounted oil filter was stuck tight. I hammered a screw driver through it four times. Each time I would crank it around, and the filter would shear before it would turn. I tore a 1.5 inch gash through the filter housing each time. Thankfully, it finally let go on the fourth time because there wasn't much area left to drive the screwdriver through.

Will
Old 05-16-2008, 06:19 AM
SteveZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
sounds like you may have cross-threaded it ... if so, that could be costly to fix ...
My thoughts exactly; filter was hard to turn putting on, leaked, which in itself is unusual, then it was hard to turn further, sounds a lot like X-threaded.

When you get it off the car take a real close look at the threads, you may have some damage there. Can't recall if you can remove the sandwich easily and take that off for replacement, if that's where the threaded post is.

Also I hope since you are having this much trouble you took off the splash guard, normally you don't need to, but with it off completely you can get a much better angle on the thing.

Personally I also have used a flat-head screwdriver in the past when I had a really stubborn filter on a car. That's one extra reason I do my own oil changes, the only time I had that problem, someone else tightened the hell out of the filter - I never used any tools on mine, just tighten by hand, it never leaks, not on any of my cars.