Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Flywheel question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008 | 07:16 AM
drdisco

Default Flywheel question

My '05 M/T is in the shop right now having the transmission replaced. They also took a look at the clutch and flywheel. The clutch is also shot after only 35,xxx miles. I'm not hard on the car so I don't believe the clutch was my doing, but I'm not here to argue that. The transmission is under warranty but the clutch and flywheel are considered normal wear items so they are charging me for that.

My question is can the flywheel be resurfaced or is it a replacement only piece? They told me that they can't resurface it, which I have a hard time believing. Is this true or are they just BS'ing me so they can sell me a part I don't need?
Old 05-14-2008 | 07:22 AM
RedBullRR

There just BSing you.
Old 05-14-2008 | 07:24 AM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

You are asking a question that many of us has asked too.

The wear surface on the flywheel plate on the -Z- is separated from the "gear" part of the flywheel by springs, similiar to pressure plate friction surface. In essence, it floats.

Because it "floats" a machinist can not get a good cut unless it is disassembled and machined separately. Unfortunately this is not a standard or practice that is available by any flywheel re-surfacing shop that I could find.

The stock flywheel is expensive. Many -Z- owners opt to purchase aftermarkes "solid" or non-floating flywheels. The drawback to these is often that they produce an annoying "chatter". The chatter is a noise or vibration that you might accept, but I'd advise you to experience it first (in someone who has one) first before you decide.

I opted for replacing mine with a stock unit (5000 miles ago) and I am happy with it.
Old 05-14-2008 | 08:05 AM
drdisco

Originally Posted by JCat
You are asking a question that many of us has asked too....
Thanks for the quick reply. The price was my main issue with the flywheel. They quoted me somewhere in the ballpark of $1100 just for the flywheel. I looked at some of the aftermarket parts available and am tempted to go with something like the JWT or Competition Clutch stage 2. I doubt the dealership will install them for me and I don't have the time to tear the transmission out of the car to replace it once I get it back.

I guess I just have to suck it up this time.
Old 05-14-2008 | 12:08 PM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

$1100 is high for the flywheel only. Click here
Old 05-14-2008 | 01:41 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired
Premier Member

wow did they change your blinker fluid as well?

IMO tell them to stop work on your clutch and flywheel right now. if they were worn out you would know it by now.
Old 05-14-2008 | 09:29 PM
gregom

Yeah Stealerships bloat the **** outta their prices... The dual viscous flywheel is a bit spendy though.

I had this exact same problem on my previous car, EXACT SAME! I just had them replace the clutch/pressure plate and put it all back together. I didn't have any chattering or anything, I was lucky... but I just planned on later if the clutch started to go again then I would get an aftermarket clutch and flywheel installed by a trans shop.

Take some pics of the clutch and flywheel and pressure plate for us if you can.
Old 05-14-2008 | 09:44 PM
lbz

Dealer quoted me $1100 for clutch kit parts and labor.... yikes

I bought Nissan OEM clutch kit and throw out bearing for $275 and got a quote from neighborhood shop of $350 for labor.
Old 05-14-2008 | 09:48 PM
Spork

I remember the first time I took my Z to a dealership for the 60000 mile maintenance. I was tired and just out of it, so the dealer fooled me. He came out and told me "Yeah, your belts are worn out, and it causes them to squeak, so we're just gonna go ahead and replace those."

It took me a week to realize that the belts don't cause squeaking.

Go with the JWT clutch/flywheel combo. LOTS of money saved.
Old 05-15-2008 | 04:39 AM
drdisco

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
wow did they change your blinker fluid as well?

IMO tell them to stop work on your clutch and flywheel right now. if they were worn out you would know it by now.
I did go in and inspect it myself. The clutch was shot and the flywheel looked pretty rough too. I did find the flywheel for sale online from a Nissan dealership down in Texas for $920. I'm calling today to argue price with them.
Old 05-15-2008 | 05:35 AM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

If the friction surface on the pressure plate and/or flywheel has discolored areas or burn spots, replace them.

My flywheel had many (large) burnt areas. I definately noticed a huge difference in "hook-up" after I replaced everything.

(I do not ride the clutch so I'm not sure why this happened. If I had to guess, the Nissan engineers scrimped on (stock) pressure plate holding power.)
Old 05-17-2008 | 05:31 PM
toy4two

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
I remember the first time I took my Z to a dealership for the 60000 mile maintenance. I was tired and just out of it, so the dealer fooled me. He came out and told me "Yeah, your belts are worn out, and it causes them to squeak, so we're just gonna go ahead and replace those."

It took me a week to realize that the belts don't cause squeaking.

Go with the JWT clutch/flywheel combo. LOTS of money saved.
sure belts can cause squeaking, my old mr2 had a squeaky belt, never bothered to fix it being a mid engine car couldn't afford it.

inspect the flywheel I'm sure its ok to reuse.