Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My thoughts AFTER Technos ECU

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 06:20 AM
Zakira

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My thoughts AFTER Technos ECU

Funny, the guys at Technosquare told me that there have been 8 drive-ins so far for the ECU program transplant. But to my recollection, there's only one person that's posted that he's gotten it. Obviously, some people are holding back on us! Well, I decided not to hold back on my thoughts after my ECU transplant, flames or not. So here goes.
Being that I'm an objective SOB, I'm not gonna say that the car is definitely faster now (I'm runnin Nismo CAI and Borla duals). BUT, if my subjective side can talk, I noticed first that the car feels smoother now, and the Borlas sounded a little subdued, and I'm thinkin,' that's gotta be my imagination. Later I did some acceleration runs. There's not much difference down low, but after 3, 4 grand, the damn thing pulls like a **** now! Redline comes up quicker than I've ever seen it come up. That's gotta mean it's making more power. But wait, my objective side is telling me to dyno the thing!
Thank you, Cheston! I love it so far.

Peace,
Old 07-15-2003, 07:07 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i think they didnt change any of the ignition/timing maps for 3k and under due to the closed loop process nissans use for cold start warmups.. but yea.. after 4k, its how the car should have felt.. you actually feel pushed back into the seat if you're sitting shotgun.. so fun!

im so happy you like it!
Old 07-15-2003, 08:04 AM
2003z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is shipping out today, I will post my thoughts next week, and probably a dyno soon after.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:50 AM
Zakira

Yeah, Ches, because now under full throttle, I'm having to look down at the tach much sooner than I'm used to. Since that's something that's programmed into you, through habit, going by that, I do think the car's faster.
I do, however, worry a little if the safety margin put in by Nissan maybe a bit compromised. I guess what got me started on that is when the guy told me to go easy on the car to prevent any knocking until the ECU relearns and writes a new map. But maybe it's just a price you have to pay for driving a tuned car.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:06 AM
3rdpower

Must... Have.... NOW
- Just ordered - Thanks Yuichi and StrictlyZ! -
Old 07-15-2003, 09:28 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

the only real thing you have to worry about is the gasoline.. for me its just Shell, Chevron, or if you're lucky. super higher octane at 76....

you'll notice that once you start going, you just want to keep on the gas, the redline is Zing! right there... but overall, even with this program, Tadashi has written in a safety margin.... originally it was even more tweaked/tuned, we had to dial it down just a smidgen to be on the safe side...but by all means its driveable (and fun!) nissan's safety margin is set so that basically a bone head can drive the car and not blow it by using crap gas... or driving in extreme conditions... we all love our cars and wouldnt settle for anything less than excellent, right? so just drive the car as any other enthusiast.... not not some one that doesnt care about their baby

Originally posted by Zakira
Yeah, Ches, because now under full throttle, I'm having to look down at the tach much sooner than I'm used to. Since that's something that's programmed into you, through habit, going by that, I do think the car's faster.
I do, however, worry a little if the safety margin put in by Nissan maybe a bit compromised. I guess what got me started on that is when the guy told me to go easy on the car to prevent any knocking until the ECU relearns and writes a new map. But maybe it's just a price you have to pay for driving a tuned car.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:44 AM
cbsuper

Hey, Chebosto what are the hours of operation for Technosquare?
Old 07-15-2003, 10:46 AM
Smooth350

What were the results for the people who have automagics??
Old 07-15-2003, 08:36 PM
webcarconnection

Cheston,

You said that the car have the "Rich/Lean' mix in 10.5 (5000 rpm+) or something and the ECU upgrade put it on 12.5 I think... I have Cats pipes and Borla in my exhaust system, do you think is a good # (12.5) because my car is burning more fuel know and have almoust No backpressure... I Just wondering that the 12.5 became 14+ mix because of the exhaust system, thats all!

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2003, 05:39 AM
g356gear

Cheston,
When do you guys think you will have a program available for the g36 6MT sedan??
Old 07-16-2003, 06:28 AM
Zakira

Cheston, you're right about what you said. We care about our cars too much to pull any bonehead moves that Nissan accounted for when writing their ECU.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:44 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

G356gear: i think the G35C MT ecus will be done after this friday, from last i heard they were waiting on the beta.

Webcar: the borla (or any exhaust)will decrease the back pressure some, so that might be it... but i'm kinda confused at what you're asking.. 12.5 is pretty good even with an exhaust... if you want to bump it up to 14, that's a bit pushing it..

Cbsuper: 9-5 PST, Saturday by appointment only, closed sunday

Smooth350: AT is coming soon-- this particular version, Technos did some cool voodoo...
Old 07-16-2003, 08:32 AM
g356gear

But my car is not the coupe.....it is the sedan model....what is the time frame for that ecu configuration?...or is it the same?
Old 07-16-2003, 08:35 AM
webcarconnection

Originally posted by Chebosto
Webcar: the borla (or any exhaust)will decrease the back pressure some, so that might be it... but i'm kinda confused at what you're asking.. 12.5 is pretty good even with an exhaust... if you want to bump it up to 14, that's a bit pushing it...
Sorry for that... I'm just want to know if the mix (12.5) don't go up with exhaust and cat pipes, since are less backpressure.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2003, 09:56 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by g356gear
But my car is not the coupe.....it is the sedan model....what is the time frame for that ecu configuration?...or is it the same?
Check with Cheston just in case. I think the coupe and sedan are the same.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:27 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

sedans are different :\

that might take some more time...
Old 07-16-2003, 01:25 PM
g356gear

Cheston,
I think you might be pleasantly surprised by the number of sedan owners out there who would like to get the flash procedure done to their cars. Hopefully it will happen in the near future. I for one am looking forward to it's availablity.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:27 PM
whosdady

Default Cool Voodoo

So what does this mean? (Cool Voodoo) I am ready to be flashed but I would like to hear some details from 5AT testers. IE gains. I have the Stillen exhaust, 3 piece UR pulley kit and Injen CAI. The car feels the same as it did stock. The car did feel more powerful after each mod but your ECU adjustment theory seems be in effect with my car. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the voodoo

Originally posted by Chebosto
G356gear: i think the G35C MT ecus will be done after this friday, from last i heard they were waiting on the beta.

Webcar: the borla (or any exhaust)will decrease the back pressure some, so that might be it... but i'm kinda confused at what you're asking.. 12.5 is pretty good even with an exhaust... if you want to bump it up to 14, that's a bit pushing it..

Cbsuper: 9-5 PST, Saturday by appointment only, closed sunday

Smooth350: AT is coming soon-- this particular version, Technos did some cool voodoo...
Old 07-16-2003, 03:58 PM
CSHFLW

So if the car learns the mods you have....do you have to uninstall them, put in the ECU...drive it, then reinstall them?
Old 07-16-2003, 04:30 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by CSHFLW
So if the car learns the mods you have....do you have to uninstall them, put in the ECU...drive it, then reinstall them?
I am pretty sure it adapts to the mods.

Quick Reply: My thoughts AFTER Technos ECU