Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Lightweight flywheel question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:43 PM
black3.5z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightweight flywheel question?

Searched and have found nothing! Just wondering if..well becasue of the lightweight flywheel you get chatter right. well I just installed a lightweight flywheel and new clutch and was wondering. becasue of chatter will this vibration cause any premature wear on bearings. I mean vibration no matter how little cause wear. Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with this. And another quick question what is with the clicking sound when ever I hit the gas and when I let off

Last edited by black3.5z; 05-29-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:22 AM
Neb

I like to start off these responses by saying I am no mechanic

...but I've had my share of car troubles, so I know a thing or two about car problems.

but as you already mentioned, chatter will cause premature wear on the car as a whole. My roomate being a mechanic says its probably one of the worst things for a car because of how much damage it can (and eventually will) cause. Are you sure a brand new light-weight flywheel is suppose to cause chatter?... that doesnt seem right to me... but then again I've never changed out clutch parts that werent stock.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:07 PM
black3.5z

I was told because of the weight difference and the fact that the engine has a split second where there is no power then power between the firing sequnece that this causes chatter. because the flywheel doesnt have the inertia to keep it going and during that split second and starts to slow down, then speeds up again. And does anybody have a clue on the clicking sound?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:00 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A lightweight flywheel wont wear out anything in your car. The only thing it's going to wear out is itself. Just because it makes noise doesn't mean it is physically wearing any more than something that makes less noise. Some lightweight flywheels probably last longer than the stock flywheel... it just comes down to materials.

So by this reasoning... you're wearing out your car by listening to music, and if you have an amplified stereo system with a sub... your car is f'kd.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:10 AM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OEM flywheel is heavy, dual-mass flywheel that does a good job of dampnening the noise/vibration. Your aftermarket flywheel is light weight single mass flywheel therefore the chatter is normal. Just think of it as a reminder that you're in a tuned vehicle

At least you don't have Tilton 8lb flywheel; that sucker chatters like **** LOL!
Old 05-30-2008, 02:06 AM
mcarther101

Originally Posted by gsazabi
OEM flywheel is heavy, dual-mass flywheel that does a good job of dampnening the noise/vibration. Your aftermarket flywheel is light weight single mass flywheel therefore the chatter is normal. Just think of it as a reminder that you're in a tuned vehicle

At least you don't have Tilton 8lb flywheel; that sucker chatters like **** LOL!
I have the JWT flywheel. I was actually considering the Tilton as my next flywheel though... just so I can redline & make my car scream in half a second.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:17 PM
black3.5z

i thought the after market flywheel were also dual mass I thought that is all the 350 would accept.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:20 PM
black3.5z

Originally Posted by mcarther101
A lightweight flywheel wont wear out anything in your car. The only thing it's going to wear out is itself. Just because it makes noise doesn't mean it is physically wearing any more than something that makes less noise. Some lightweight flywheels probably last longer than the stock flywheel... it just comes down to materials.

So by this reasoning... you're wearing out your car by listening to music, and if you have an amplified stereo system with a sub... your car is f'kd.
haha ok I like that. I was just looking at this from a machinist poin tof view more noise equal more vibration. vibration equal wear. thanks for the help. still any idea on the clicking noise thought?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:32 PM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black3.5z
i thought the after market flywheel were also dual mass I thought that is all the 350 would accept.
Nope. Some are, some are not.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:32 PM
black3.5z

Originally Posted by gsazabi
Nope. Some are, some are not.

I am still very curious about the clicking sound though
Old 05-30-2008, 08:48 PM
mcarther101

I am still very curious about the clicking sound though
What about the clicking sound are you interested to know? It sounds like something is spinning with a pebble in it to me. It's not very loud though, for the JWT setup at least. My friends SVT focus has this similar sound with his stock setup.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:58 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was told because of the weight difference and the fact that the engine has a split second where there is no power then power between the firing sequnece that this causes chatter. because the flywheel doesnt have the inertia to keep it going and during that split second and starts to slow down, then speeds up again. And does anybody have a clue on the clicking sound?
immediately stop listening to whomever told you that

you cannot just install a Tilton flywheel...its an integrated unit to a Tilton clutch.

As for the clicking, you might want to do some searching for the rear axle TSB
Old 05-31-2008, 08:00 AM
dcreech0

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have the JWT flywheel, yes its a little noisy. I have almost come to a point where i listen to the chatter more than my turbo. Its the loudest around 2500 RPM. I wish it wasnt so loud.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:05 PM
black3.5z

ya my civic has the same clicking sound I am trying to find out what it is